advice - 1993 chevy lumina sedan , headlight dimmer switch not working

Old September 17th 12, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default advice - 1993 chevy lumina sedan , headlight dimmer switch not working

Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block and a huge price to replace it. I got a local nechanic to replace the switch and all seemed ok.

Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam. This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.

Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly, or that the dimmer is just broken ?

Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?

I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.

thanks for any comments.
Old September 17th 12, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

wrote:
> Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and
> causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block
> and a huge price to replace it. I got a local nechanic to replace
> the switch and all seemed ok.
>
> Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam.
> This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I
> was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.
>
> Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly,
> or that the dimmer is just broken ?
>
> Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?
>
> I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.
>
> thanks for any comments.

I don't remember if that year has SRS air bag or not.
The addition of air bags is around that time.
You should be able to tell by looking at it.
As to the switch, yeah, its likely broken.
Car plastic rarely lasts 20 years. Especially when
it has to flex and is covered in grease.
If you had to have a mech replace the ign switch,
then you will not be able to replace the
turn sig / hi-lo switch yourself.
Rockauto: $45 - $95.
Old September 17th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

wrote:
> Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and
> causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block
> and a huge price to replace it. I got a local nechanic to replace
> the switch and all seemed ok.
>
> Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam.
> This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I
> was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.
>
> Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly,
> or that the dimmer is just broken ?
>
> Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?
>
> I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.
>
> thanks for any comments.

OIL? Unless you applied oil there is nothing in the column that has oil
in or on it. There is a silicone grease used but unless the car got
heated to over 600 degrees it doesn't turn liquid.

There also shouldn't be anything in the column hot enough to cause
smoke! If there was then likely you have fried either the wiring or the
switches or both.

As to replacement, the switch itself isn't that bad. It is attached to
the steering column down below the dash. Basically you remove the two
screws, then the actuator rod comes free, then you pull the connectors
from the harness. Reverse the process to install. Book time is just over
30 minute to 50 minutes for real bad ones. the average DIYer can do it
in an hour or so.

--
Steve W.
Old September 17th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Sep 16, 8:21*pm, wrote:
> Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block and a huge price to replace it. *I got a local nechanic to replace the switch and all seemed ok.
>
> Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam. This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.
>
> Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly, or that the dimmer is just broken ?
>
> Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?
>
> I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.
>
> thanks for any comments.

when you hit the dimmer switch to the headlights do anything????

If all else fails aim the headlights down more so you don't blind
anyone.
Old September 19th 12, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:34:17 -0400, "Steve W." >

>> Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and
>> causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block
>> and a huge price to replace it. I got a local nechanic to replace
>> the switch and all seemed ok.
>>
>> Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam.
>> This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I
>> was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.
>>
>> Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly,
>> or that the dimmer is just broken ?
>>
>> Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?
>>
>> I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.
>>
>> thanks for any comments.

>OIL? Unless you applied oil there is nothing in the column that has oil
>in or on it. There is a silicone grease used but unless the car got
>heated to over 600 degrees it doesn't turn liquid.
>
>There also shouldn't be anything in the column hot enough to cause
>smoke! If there was then likely you have fried either the wiring or the
>switches or both.
>
>As to replacement, the switch itself isn't that bad. It is attached to
>the steering column down below the dash. Basically you remove the two
>screws, then the actuator rod comes free, then you pull the connectors
>from the harness. Reverse the process to install. Book time is just over
>30 minute to 50 minutes for real bad ones. the average DIYer can do it
>in an hour or so.

Isn't the headlight dimmer switch part of the turn signal switch, not
the ignition switch????
Old September 20th 12, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:34:17 -0400, "Steve W." >
> wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>> Back in march I had some fluid leaking in the steering column and
>>> causing little bits of smoke. Dealer said oil from the switch block
>>> and a huge price to replace it. I got a local nechanic to replace
>>> the switch and all seemed ok.
>>>
>>> Now I find the headlights will not dim and are stuck on high beam.
>>> This has not been a problem because I rarely drive after dark, and I
>>> was in the hospital and recovering at home from a heart operation.
>>>
>>> Is it likely the mechanic did not connect the switch block correctly,
>>> or that the dimmer is just broken ?
>>>
>>> Is this a major job to repair ? something I could do myself ?
>>>
>>> I dont know if this car has a drivers side airbag.
>>>
>>> thanks for any comments.

>> OIL? Unless you applied oil there is nothing in the column that has oil
>> in or on it. There is a silicone grease used but unless the car got
>> heated to over 600 degrees it doesn't turn liquid.
>>
>> There also shouldn't be anything in the column hot enough to cause
>> smoke! If there was then likely you have fried either the wiring or the
>> switches or both.
>>
>> As to replacement, the switch itself isn't that bad. It is attached to
>> the steering column down below the dash. Basically you remove the two
>> screws, then the actuator rod comes free, then you pull the connectors
>>from the harness. Reverse the process to install. Book time is just over
>> 30 minute to 50 minutes for real bad ones. the average DIYer can do it
>> in an hour or so.

> Isn't the headlight dimmer switch part of the turn signal switch, not
> the ignition switch????

Not on that year, The stalk is just a lever the actual dimmer switch is
down on the left side of the column behind the dash bracket.

--
Steve W.
Old September 20th 12, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:14:08 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:34:17 -0400, "Steve W." >
>> wrote:

>>> OIL? Unless you applied oil there is nothing in the column that has oil
>>> in or on it. There is a silicone grease used but unless the car got
>>> heated to over 600 degrees it doesn't turn liquid.
>>>
>>> There also shouldn't be anything in the column hot enough to cause
>>> smoke! If there was then likely you have fried either the wiring or the
>>> switches or both.
>>>
>>> As to replacement, the switch itself isn't that bad. It is attached to
>>> the steering column down below the dash. Basically you remove the two
>>> screws, then the actuator rod comes free, then you pull the connectors
>>>from the harness. Reverse the process to install. Book time is just over
>>> 30 minute to 50 minutes for real bad ones. the average DIYer can do it
>>> in an hour or so.

>> Isn't the headlight dimmer switch part of the turn signal switch, not
>> the ignition switch????

>Not on that year, The stalk is just a lever the actual dimmer switch is
>down on the left side of the column behind the dash bracket.

Whoever replaced the multifunction switch probably forgot to reconnect
the dimmer rod to both switches.
Old September 20th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:14:08 -0400, "Steve W." >
> wrote:
>
>> Ashton Crusher wrote:

>>> Isn't the headlight dimmer switch part of the turn signal switch, not
>>> the ignition switch????

>> Not on that year, The stalk is just a lever the actual dimmer switch is
>> down on the left side of the column behind the dash bracket.

> Whoever replaced the multifunction switch probably forgot to reconnect
> the dimmer rod to both switches.

Possible, or the new MF plunger arm is different enough that there isn't
enough travel on the plunger. That is easy to adjust.

--
Steve W.