Lighter Socket Wiring

Old October 21st 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Mark333777

Default Lighter Socket Wiring

You guys have been a great help to me before and I was wondering if you
could help me once again...

I'm trying to install a lighter socket (to be used as a power source
for satellite radio) into a 1991 Honda Civic (which came without a
socket). I got a socket from a used auto parts yard and when attempting
to install, I couldn't make heads or tails of the available wiring. It
looks as though the my Honda has recepticle for use with a lighter
(which contains a red, red w/black stripe, black and white w/ green
stripe) but the lighter socket I bought has a white wire w/ blue
stripe. Where do I go from here? Should I just forget it and bring it
somewhere to get installed? I tried to study the wire guides and
thought I was prepared to do it myself...

Thanks again ...

Old October 22nd 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
TeGGeR®

"Mark333777" > wrote in
oups.com:

> You guys have been a great help to me before and I was wondering if
> you could help me once again...
>
> I'm trying to install a lighter socket (to be used as a power source
> for satellite radio) into a 1991 Honda Civic (which came without a
> socket). I got a socket from a used auto parts yard and when
> attempting to install, I couldn't make heads or tails of the available
> wiring. It looks as though the my Honda has recepticle for use with a
> lighter (which contains a red, red w/black stripe, black and white w/
> green stripe) but the lighter socket I bought has a white wire w/ blue
> stripe. Where do I go from here? Should I just forget it and bring it
> somewhere to get installed? I tried to study the wire guides and
> thought I was prepared to do it myself...

You'll either have to know the car the socket came from or do some
multimetering/visual inspection on the socket.

For the wiring on your '91, see he
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login with
username: lib
password: access

Choose "Auto Repair Reference Center" from the menu at left, then locate
your car. The wiring diagrams are there.

Good luck.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 22nd 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

Mark333777 wrote:
> You guys have been a great help to me before and I was wondering if you
> could help me once again...
>
> I'm trying to install a lighter socket (to be used as a power source
> for satellite radio) into a 1991 Honda Civic (which came without a
> socket). I got a socket from a used auto parts yard and when attempting
> to install, I couldn't make heads or tails of the available wiring. It
> looks as though the my Honda has recepticle for use with a lighter
> (which contains a red, red w/black stripe, black and white w/ green
> stripe) but the lighter socket I bought has a white wire w/ blue
> stripe. Where do I go from here? Should I just forget it and bring it
> somewhere to get installed? I tried to study the wire guides and
> thought I was prepared to do it myself...
>
> Thanks again ...

Guess it depends how involved you want the circuit. I think honda
uses a relay for the cig lighter according to the diagrams. So, that
could account for the extra wiring. You might have the pigtail to plug
into a lighter, but I wonder if you have the relay on the car. If it
did,
it would probably be best to use an exact replacement with the proper
wiring scheme. But the usual run of the mill lighter just has a single
"+" connection. No relay is used. They just use wiring thick enough
to handle the current, and it's fused through the fusebox. So if you
didn't
have a relay, or are just lazy, you could just run a single hot wire to

a standard lighter, assuming you can get a ground at the lighter socket
frame. If not, you'd have to run a separate ground wire also. I
usually
run wire straight to the battery. I've got a ICOM IC-706mk2 in my
accord.
I drilled a hole in the floor next to the firewall, and ran thick wire
direct
to the battery from the radio. Of course, my current draw is probably a

good bit more than a sat radio. I pull about 15-20 amps at full power
out
depending on audio level, etc. If you do run direct wiring, make sure
it has
fuses. If you run both + and - wires, fuse both lines near the battery.
MK