90 accord pgmfi/water leak

Old June 29th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 90 accord pgmfi/water leak

Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.

On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written) - just about
next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
electrical connector off top right.
The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
unit.

I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
the two mounting bolts.

I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
available anywhere ?
Geoff - Bristol UK

Old June 29th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:
> Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.
>
> On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written) - just about
> next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
> bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
> electrical connector off top right.
> The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
> I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
> off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
> Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> unit.
>
> I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
> lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
> bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
> the two mounting bolts.
>
> I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
> working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
> have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
> available anywhere ?
> Geoff - Bristol UK

OK - since posting have found autozone drawing. Would appear to be eacv
valve, an O ring connection behind.?
Anybody know what's under the base plate of the valve - I'd presume
just a water chamber where the two pipes enter ? I just need to remake
the joint.

Old June 29th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote in
oups.com:

> Just to pick some brains -2li, June 90 Accord, UK spec.
>
> On the front of the pgmfi unit ( where PGMFI is written)

That's the intake manifold. The PGM-FI "unit" is in the passenger
compartment. Honda just put that sticker on there for decoration
(I'm not kidding).

> - just about
> next to the throttle cable attachment and spring, is a small unit
> bolted on, with two small water hoses coming out of the base, and an
> electrical connector off top right.

That's the Electronic Air Control Valve. It controls idle speed. The
coolant hoses are actually for *heating*, so its narrow internal passages
won't ice up on you.

> The base plate, where the hoses connect, is held by three screws.
> I have a small water leak from the base plate so need to take the unit
> off the pgmfi main body to replace gasket.
> Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> unit.

There is an intake passage in the throttle body in front of the throttle
plate (the upper of the two holes in the throttle body), and an outlet on
the other side of the throttle plate, which you can't see.

Those don't mean anything to you though, so don't worry about them.

> I don't want to disturb things, really, without knowing what exactly
> lurks inside, as the leak is very slight - but drippiing coolant is a
> bit corrosive. I can't get to the screws at the base without removing
> the two mounting bolts.

The EACV unbolts with two bolts towards the rear. Between the EACV and the
throttle body are two oval O-rings, which are usually OK even with this
age. Don't lose them! And don't worry about the coolant drips. There won't
be much, provided the engine is cold.

Once the EACV is off the intake manifold you can undo the coolant hoses to
remove it from the vehicle. If they won't come off (which is likely), have
new ones handy, then cut the old ones off. They will be hard and brittle
with age. You'll probably need new clamps as well. The old ones will be
fine if they haven't rusted through.

Have some extra coolant handy. When you put the works back together, the
air will get purged out automatically, and the reservoir level may drop a
bit.

> I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
> working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
> have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
> available anywhere ?

The manuals have moved. Try he
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html
Your car's not there, but the '91 is going to be close enough.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 29th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:
> Is this just mounted on the side of the pgmfi unit, for convenience -
> or is there some futher connection between the intake manifold and this
> unit.

sounds like the IAC.
Old July 2nd 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

TeGGeR® wrote:
> [...]

> remove it from the vehicle. If they won't come off (which is likely), have
> new ones handy, then cut the old ones off. They will be hard and brittle
> with age. You'll probably need new clamps as well. The old ones will be
> fine if they haven't rusted through.
>
> Have some extra coolant handy. When you put the works back together, the
> air will get purged out automatically, and the reservoir level may drop a
> bit.
>

> > I can't find any of the online manuals at honda.co.uk I had links to
> > working any longer - it seems the 'Power of Dreams' has decided that we
> > have to do just that in terms of online manuals. Are they still
> > available anywhere ?

> The manuals have moved. Try he

http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html
> Your car's not there, but the '91 is going to be close enough.

Many thanks - nice to know what these things do ! Will try the new link
for the manuals.

One thing I've noticed lately - is that the idle speed does not seem to
be increasing when the air con is on - it should I think kick up to 900
from 800.
I had a recent problem with the speed sensor not reading, giving me a
17 fault code - but since splitting the connector and reconnecting its
been ok - but I havn't re set the ecu. Might that be the cause ?
Geoff -Bristol UK