Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

Old May 3rd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Pain At The Pump: Government Gas Secrets

"edb" > wrote in message
.. .
> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html

"Nice and easy saves gas. Herky jerky does not."

How many times have I been behind some spaz tailgater who doesn't look any
further than 5 feet down the road? I hate spazzes. If I leave plenty of
separation, I can turn his herky jerky into a nice, smooth drive with little
variation in speed.

Of course, the spaz BEHIND me always gets mad at me for not tailgating the
tailgater, but so be it.

dwight

Old May 3rd 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> "dwight" > wrote in
>> :

>>> Given that TFrog is now 13 with 194,000+ miles, and badly in need of
>>> a tuneup and intake cleaning, I find that my optimum speed for fuel
>>> efficiency is about 72mph.
>>>
>>> At that, I'm barely idling in 5th gear. That's probably the best
>>> speed vs. fuel result.
>>>
>>> The other day, as I was behind a mook doing 45mph on a 45mph road, I
>>> was wondering how much money he was costing me. His adherance to the
>>> speed limit kept me in 3rd gear, when another 5mph would have
>>> dropped me into 4th and thus much better mileage.
>>>
>>> dwight

>> Time for a 3.93 rear.
>>
>> Joe
>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> Right, Joe. THAT will certainly help my fuel mileage.
>
> Not that I really give a crap about fuel mileage... I just find it
> amusing that speeding actually makes TFrog more efficient, rather than
> slowing down, as some would have us believe.
>
>)

That was my point. With a 3.93, you could've easily slipped into 4th @
45mph and actually saved gas.
Old May 3rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default On the other hand....

On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:51:58 -0500, WindsorFox
> puked:

>Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> "edb" > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.wesh.com/painatthepump/9141621/detail.html
>>>

>> What the hell does this have to do with Mustang enthusiasts?
>>
>> WE DONT CARE !!!!
>>
>> Or we'd be driving 1350 CC kia's
>>

> I found it quite amusing. Especially the part where it said that the
>Diesel Liberty reported as getting 22MPG by Chrysler, CR got 11 and the
>Honda hybrid rated for 48MPG CR got 26. ROFL!! I love it. Make the 19MPG
>I get in the Mustang look pretty good Heh heh...

Especially good considering how everyone driving those hybrids look
like weenies to me.

They should start making some exotic looking hybrids with gull wing
doors and ultralight plastic bodies and functional wings at whatnot.
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old May 3rd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"lab~rat >:-)" > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:51:58 -0500, WindsorFox
> > puked:
>
>>Backyard Mechanic wrote:

>>> What the hell does this have to do with Mustang enthusiasts?
>>>
>>> WE DONT CARE !!!!
>>>
>>> Or we'd be driving 1350 CC kia's
>>>

>> I found it quite amusing. Especially the part where it said that

the
>>Diesel Liberty reported as getting 22MPG by Chrysler, CR got 11 and

the
>>Honda hybrid rated for 48MPG CR got 26. ROFL!! I love it. Make the

19MPG
>>I get in the Mustang look pretty good Heh heh...

> Especially good considering how everyone driving those hybrids look
> like weenies to me.
>
> They should start making some exotic looking hybrids with gull wing
> doors and ultralight plastic bodies and functional wings at whatnot.
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

It's not electric, but it's pretty neat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_EcoRacer
Old May 3rd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"lab~rat >:-)" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:51:58 -0500, WindsorFox
> > puked:
>
>>Backyard Mechanic wrote:

>>> What the hell does this have to do with Mustang enthusiasts?
>>>
>>> WE DONT CARE !!!!
>>>
>>> Or we'd be driving 1350 CC kia's
>>>

>> I found it quite amusing. Especially the part where it said that the
>>Diesel Liberty reported as getting 22MPG by Chrysler, CR got 11 and the
>>Honda hybrid rated for 48MPG CR got 26. ROFL!! I love it. Make the 19MPG
>>I get in the Mustang look pretty good Heh heh...

> Especially good considering how everyone driving those hybrids look
> like weenies to me.
>
> They should start making some exotic looking hybrids with gull wing
> doors and ultralight plastic bodies and functional wings at whatnot.
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Wings don't function under 60 miles per hour...

Old May 3rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

My Names Nobody wrote:
> "lab~rat >:-)" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:51:58 -0500, WindsorFox
>> > puked:

>>> I found it quite amusing. Especially the part where it said that the
>>> Diesel Liberty reported as getting 22MPG by Chrysler, CR got 11 and the
>>> Honda hybrid rated for 48MPG CR got 26. ROFL!! I love it. Make the 19MPG
>>> I get in the Mustang look pretty good Heh heh...

>> Especially good considering how everyone driving those hybrids look
>> like weenies to me.
>>
>> They should start making some exotic looking hybrids with gull wing
>> doors and ultralight plastic bodies and functional wings at whatnot.
>> --
>> lab~rat >:-)
>> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

> Wings don't function under 60 miles per hour...

Tell that to someone driving an old Cessna....They do function, but they
have to be larger as the wing slows down in order to create the same
amount of lift/downforce.

Cheers,

Old May 4th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Ritz" > wrote in message ...
> My Names Nobody wrote:
>> "lab~rat >:-)" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:51:58 -0500, WindsorFox

>>> Especially good considering how everyone driving those hybrids look
>>> like weenies to me.
>>>
>>> They should start making some exotic looking hybrids with gull wing
>>> doors and ultralight plastic bodies and functional wings at whatnot.
>>> --
>>> lab~rat >:-)
>>> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

>> Wings don't function under 60 miles per hour...

> Tell that to someone driving an old Cessna....They do function, but they
> have to be larger as the wing slows down in order to create the same
> amount of lift/downforce.
>
> Cheers,

Wings mounted on deck lids of cars have little to ZERO effect at speeds
under 100 miles per hour, Period. Maybe you need to mount your Cessna to
you deck lid...

Old May 4th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Joe" > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Right, Joe. THAT will certainly help my fuel mileage.
>>
>> Not that I really give a crap about fuel mileage... I just find it
>> amusing that speeding actually makes TFrog more efficient, rather than
>> slowing down, as some would have us believe.
>>
>>)

> That was my point. With a 3.93, you could've easily slipped into 4th @
> 45mph and actually saved gas.

Let me get out my calculator... Lessee... The cost of the gears, plus the
cost to have them installed... how much gas would I have to save to offset
that...?

Uh, nevermind.

dwight

Old May 4th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> "dwight" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Right, Joe. THAT will certainly help my fuel mileage.
>>>
>>> Not that I really give a crap about fuel mileage... I just find it
>>> amusing that speeding actually makes TFrog more efficient, rather
>>> than slowing down, as some would have us believe.
>>>
>>>)

>> That was my point. With a 3.93, you could've easily slipped into 4th
>> @ 45mph and actually saved gas.

> Let me get out my calculator... Lessee... The cost of the gears, plus
> the cost to have them installed... how much gas would I have to save
> to offset that...?
>
> Uh, nevermind.
>
> dwight

OK, so the fun factor doesn't count at all. Why not just get an old
Tercel and be done with it?
Old May 4th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"My Names Nobody" > wrote in

> "Ritz" > wrote in message
>> My Names Nobody wrote:

>>> Wings don't function under 60 miles per hour...

>> Tell that to someone driving an old Cessna....They do function, but
>> they have to be larger as the wing slows down in order to create the
>> same amount of lift/downforce.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Wings mounted on deck lids of cars have little to ZERO effect at
> speeds under 100 miles per hour, Period. Maybe you need to mount your
> Cessna to you deck lid...

Actually wings mounted on deck lids of cars have a nice effect. They
usually good for at least a couple of laughs.