Engine Question, 3.3, crossed to a.a.toyota

Old November 13th 04, 02:42 AM
HachiRoku

Default Engine Question, 3.3, crossed to a.a.toyota

Because there are some sharp techs in .toyota (right, tegger,mdt?)

Anyway, here's the deal: 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager, 3.3 litre, AWD, all
power, etc. Great body, AWD works, really good shape, 122,000 miles. Now,
the problem. Makes a very loud ticking sound from the top of the cylinder
bank nearest the firewall. If you listen to Car Talk, you know the sound
(Click and Clack, but VERY loud). Guy says he's been driving it for 12,000
miles this way. Engine runs strong. My mechanic won't work on Chryslers,
says this can be involved. Has anyone had this problem, can tell me what
it is, and what I'm looking at to fix it. Other than this, the van is Very
Good. Hopefully, it won't break the bank to fix it.

Alternately: For Sale, 1992 Plymouth Gran Voyager, 122,000 miles good
shape needs engine work, $800....
Old November 13th 04, 12:25 PM
maxpower

Well, it sounds like a bad lifter or the oil galley is stopped up and is
getting ready to break the rocker arm mount, common problem with this engine
if the oil changes are neglected
Glenn beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old November 13th 04, 12:25 PM
maxpower

Old November 14th 04, 12:14 AM
HachiRoku

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:25:07 -0500, maxpower wrote:

> Well, it sounds like a bad lifter or the oil galley is stopped up and is
> getting ready to break the rocker arm mount, common problem with this engine
> if the oil changes are neglected

First guess was a bad lifter. Nobody I know wants to have a look!(One tech
just laffed at me, chuckling "Chrysler" as he did!)

Is there a quick fix? Like I said the guy I got it from said it's been
doing it for 12,000 miles!

Old November 14th 04, 12:14 AM
HachiRoku

Old November 14th 04, 04:49 AM
HachiRoku

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:45:55 +0000, TeGGer® wrote:

> Agree with maxpower. Valve lifter problem here. Ever had the valve covers
> off? How much sludge?
>
> It should be pretty easy to isolate the noise to one of the valve covers
> with a stethoscope. Pull it off and check it out.
>
> Don't know specifically this engine, but some engines carry oil to the
> valve train through tubular lines. If you have hydraulic lifters (a
> favorite of American manufacturers), similar problems. Sludge either of
> those up and your valve train is starved for oil. Only a matter of time
> then before something breaks. And you don't wanna know what that would cost
> to fix...
>
> --TeGGeR®

Oh, I don't need a stethoscope, you can hear it loud and clear; cylinder
bank closest to the firewall, to the right of center. Ok, I'll ask you:
any way to fix it easily, or at least hold of major damage for a few
thousand miles? I'm only going to be driving it about 7,000 a year, would
like to get a couple years out of it (although the body is SOLID! and it
doesn't have the usual Chrysler tranny problems...)

Of course, it's the cylinder bank that you have to remove the intake
plenum for, it couldn't be the front...

Old November 14th 04, 04:49 AM
HachiRoku

Old November 14th 04, 05:55 AM
Gene Poon

HachiRoku wrote:

> Because there are some sharp techs in .toyota (right, tegger,mdt?)
>
> Anyway, here's the deal: 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager, 3.3 litre, AWD, all
> power, etc. Great body, AWD works, really good shape, 122,000 miles. Now,
> the problem. Makes a very loud ticking sound from the top of the cylinder
> bank nearest the firewall. If you listen to Car Talk, you know the sound
> (Click and Clack, but VERY loud). Guy says he's been driving it for 12,000
> miles this way. Engine runs strong. My mechanic won't work on Chryslers,
> says this can be involved. Has anyone had this problem, can tell me what
> it is, and what I'm looking at to fix it. Other than this, the van is Very
> Good. Hopefully, it won't break the bank to fix it.

Could be a cracked rocker arm tower in the cylinder head.

See:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/33.html

Go toward the bottom of the page, "Rocker arms / rocker arm pedestal
breakage."

Fixing mine using the shortcut method described cost about $300 but that
was on an LH car with excellent access, and included inspection of the
other head for cracking in the same place, fortunately didn't find any;
and replacing both banks' valve cover gaskets, which were leaking anyway.

Doing it on the rear bank of a minivan could be awkward.

-GP
Old November 14th 04, 05:55 AM
Gene Poon

Old November 16th 04, 01:03 AM
HachiRoku

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:39:10 +0000, TeGGer® wrote:

> HachiRoku > sprach im news:PtBld.1323$063.362@trndny03:
>

>> Oh, I don't need a stethoscope, you can hear it loud and clear;
>> cylinder bank closest to the firewall, to the right of center. Ok,
>> I'll ask you: any way to fix it easily, or at least hold of major
>> damage for a few thousand miles?

> Probably not. If the oil feed is impaired, your valve train will wreck
> itself in short order.
>
> Keep an eye on the oil. If is starts to show silvery streaks, major damage
> has already occurred.
>

>> I'm only going to be driving it about
>> 7,000 a year, would like to get a couple years out of it

> Won't get that if the valve train is starved of oil.
>

>> body is SOLID! and it doesn't have the usual Chrysler tranny
>> problems...)
>>
>> Of course, it's the cylinder bank that you have to remove the intake
>> plenum for, it couldn't be the front...

> Pull the front cover. If there's sludge in that, there's sludge in the
> other.
>
> Is this a pushrod or OHC motor? If it's OHC, it's possible there is an oil
> feed rail that can be unbolted and cleaned out. Again, I don't know if this
> engine has hydraulic lifters or not.

Oooh, he don't know me very well. He'll find out. When somebody asks me,
is it the good one or the bad one, it's *always* the bad one! Of course
it's pushrod (hmmmm..interesting...I've been told the engine has a timing
belt...) and that they are notorius for having bad rockers. Maybe I'll
luck out and it'll just be a rocker going bad...but I doubt it.

I called a guy I know who's a Chrysler guy, he has two of them I was
scavaging parts off for the last one I had (gave it back to the guy who
gave it to me, he decided he needed it after all...229,000 and ran like a
watch ) The only 3.3 he had was flood damaged and seized, otherwise
"...I'd just give it to you..."

1991 750IL - Check Engine & Transmission Program megrp BMW 0 December 15th 04 04:33 AM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM
BMW z4 Engine Immobliser/Key Code deletion question Jason Vicinanza BMW 2 October 24th 04 05:48 PM
147 and engine undershield question. Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 1 October 17th 04 10:00 PM