Almost lost a socket

Old April 6th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

Default Almost lost a socket

I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls
the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.

I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some
ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
hardware store.

Thanks,
Jm

Old April 6th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:10 -0500, "DemoDisk" >
wrote:

>I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
>plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls
>the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
>
>I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
>and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some
>ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
>hardware store.
>
>Thanks,
>Jm

A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers.
You get the idea.

--Vic

Old April 6th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
DemoDisk

"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:10 -0500, "DemoDisk" >
> wrote:
>

> >I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
> >plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it

pulls
> >the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
> >
> >I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong

grabbers,
> >and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some
> >ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
> >hardware store.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jm
> >

> A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers.
> You get the idea.
>
> --Vic

Hmm. Awright, that's thinkin ! I'll give it a try.

Old April 6th 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Vic Smith > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:10 -0500, "DemoDisk" >
> wrote:
>

>>I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
>>plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls
>>the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
>>
>>I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
>>and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some
>>ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
>>hardware store.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jm
>>

> A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers.
> You get the idea.

This "DemoDisk"guy posted this identical-same question
in alt.autos.honda, independently of his post here.

I suggested exactly what you just did, but with a few more details.

Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

--
Tegger

Old April 6th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

:

>> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:10 -0500, "DemoDisk" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark
>>>plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls
>>>the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.
>>>
>>>I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers,
>>>and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some
>>>ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a
>>>hardware store.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Jm
>>>

>> A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers.
>> You get the idea.
>>

>This "DemoDisk"guy posted this identical-same question
>in alt.autos.honda, independently of his post here.
>
>I suggested exactly what you just did, but with a few more details.
>
>Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

Hey Tegger, how about those details?
Always looking for new tricks.
Sometimes the most obvious don't come easy.

--Vic

Old April 6th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Vic Smith > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 01:24:03 +0000 (UTC), Tegger >
> wrote:
>

>>> A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers.
>>> You get the idea.
>>>

>>This "DemoDisk"guy posted this identical-same question
>>in alt.autos.honda, independently of his post here.
>>
>>I suggested exactly what you just did, but with a few more details.
>>
>>Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

> Hey Tegger, how about those details?
> Always looking for new tricks.
> Sometimes the most obvious don't come easy.

Simple details. I suggested bending slightly /more/ than 90-deg, and
hammering the tip slightly flatter to help get past the rubber gasket if it
happened to be right up against the square hole.

--
Tegger

Old April 6th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

:

>>>This "DemoDisk"guy posted this identical-same question
>>>in alt.autos.honda, independently of his post here.
>>>
>>>I suggested exactly what you just did, but with a few more details.
>>>
>>>Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

>> Hey Tegger, how about those details?
>> Always looking for new tricks.
>> Sometimes the most obvious don't come easy.
>>

>Simple details. I suggested bending slightly /more/ than 90-deg, and
>hammering the tip slightly flatter to help get past the rubber gasket if it
>happened to be right up against the square hole.

That about covers it for a coat hanger.
Maybe.

--Vic

Old April 6th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

If you have a fish hook, try that out.
cuhulin

46RE NSS socket size SBlackfoot Jeep 0 October 11th 08 11:51 PM
Lighter Socket Wiring Mark333777 Honda 2 October 22nd 06 06:22 AM
Lighter Socket Wiring Mark333777 Honda 0 October 21st 06 10:59 PM
Correct Tork socket Lovs2fly Jeep 8 December 13th 05 02:13 AM
How to remove the lighter socket? Dale Brisket Honda 3 October 27th 05 05:23 AM