Designer of the Mustang.

Old March 30th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Designer of the Mustang.

I saw it on local tv news, Donald N. Frey dies at 86.
I have owned two Ford Mustang cars before.A 1964 Mustang and a 1968
Mustang.I wish I had kept my first Mustang.

Rest in Peace, Donald Frey.
cuhulin

Old March 30th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

The only thing wrong with the 1964 (1964 1/2) Mustang I owned was a gash
in the side of the left rear fender and the car had high rise shock
absorbers on the rear.I got rid of those and I replaced them with
standard shock absorbers.I was in my back yard repairing the gash in the
rear fender when I heard news on my radio that Elvis Presley had
died.The car was canary yellow color.Small V8 engine and manual shift
transmission.The grill on the car was crumpled, I bought a good grill a
guy had advertized for sale in the local newspaper.Everything else about
the car was in good condition, including the steering and the brakes.
cuhulin

Old March 31st 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_5_]

On 3/30/2010 2:36 PM, aemeijers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 3/29/2010 1:09 PM, wrote:
>>> I saw it on local tv news, Donald N. Frey dies at 86.
>>> I have owned two Ford Mustang cars before.A 1964 Mustang and a 1968
>>> Mustang.I wish I had kept my first Mustang.
>>>
>>> Rest in Peace, Donald Frey.
>>> cuhulin
>>>

>> Ah, that would be a 64 and a half. I tried out my friend's Mustang. It
>> had a huge steering wheel right up to my chest which felt like it was
>> connected to the wheels with a big ole piece of rubber. Nothing much
>> happened when I stepped on the brakes so I pressed harder and that
>> worked a little better. To really stop that thing you needed to stand
>> on the pedal. That was a blast from the past! I think I rather have my
>> 65 Nova. Unfortunately, that car sucked!

> Original Mustang was a Falcon in drag- that is what made it cheap. Ford
> did lots of parts-bin engineering back then. For awhile, there was a fad
> of using Lincoln Versailles axle, suspension and brake bits on Gen I
> Mustangs, because they all bolted right up, and it improved the heck out
> of the braking and handling.

It sure could use some improving! My friend used to have a Falcon.
Somehow the back seat caught fire but left the rest of the car intact
except for a strong barbecue-smokehouse odor. We used to ride in that
thing on the floor which was kinda harsh. That's kids for you - it was a
horrible, acrid, sheet metal scraping ride but at least it was a ride.

Driving that old Mustang brought back memories of the numb-nuts steering
and scary braking of these old cars. The 67 Barracuda I used to have was
a lot better car. OTOH, it looked kinda boss - powder blue with racing
style wheels.
Old March 31st 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.A. Stewart

dsi1 ) writes:
> On 3/30/2010 2:36 PM, aemeijers wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Ah, that would be a 64 and a half. I tried out my friend's Mustang. It
>>> had a huge steering wheel right up to my chest which felt like it was
>>> connected to the wheels with a big ole piece of rubber. Nothing much
>>> happened when I stepped on the brakes so I pressed harder and that
>>> worked a little better. To really stop that thing you needed to stand
>>> on the pedal. That was a blast from the past! I think I rather have my
>>> 65 Nova. Unfortunately, that car sucked!

>> Original Mustang was a Falcon in drag- that is what made it cheap. Ford
>> did lots of parts-bin engineering back then. For awhile, there was a fad
>> of using Lincoln Versailles axle, suspension and brake bits on Gen I
>> Mustangs, because they all bolted right up, and it improved the heck out
>> of the braking and handling.
>>

> It sure could use some improving! My friend used to have a Falcon.
> Somehow the back seat caught fire but left the rest of the car intact
> except for a strong barbecue-smokehouse odor. We used to ride in that
> thing on the floor which was kinda harsh. That's kids for you - it was a
> horrible, acrid, sheet metal scraping ride but at least it was a ride.
>
> Driving that old Mustang brought back memories of the numb-nuts steering
> and scary braking of these old cars. The 67 Barracuda I used to have was
> a lot better car. OTOH, it looked kinda boss - powder blue with racing
> style wheels.

I had a '66 Snotstang... it was a 'winter beater'... all Furd Falgoon
underneath... a stinking gas guzzler with a rattley 289 (loose wrist-pins)
and a 2 speed automagic. Looked like **** with the 'pop rivet' rear
fenders that I put on. Looked better after I painted the whole car with
house paint (I found some cheap dark green paint).
"Hey... those brush strokes are for aerodynamics... and it's British
Racing Green buster... not snot green". But it never failed to start, even
at 28F below.

Most steering that I did with it in the winter was done with my right foot
(FUN). No power brakes or power steering. The horn rim broke off and I
screwed a cheap push button switch into the center part of the wheel with
wood screws. I also had a 'necker knob' on the steering wheel. With the 45
turns lock-to-lock, the knob was the only way to keep it from going
backwards into snow banks when having too much FUN. Although some snow
banks did wind up looking like a mold for the ass-end of a '66 'stang. I
always made sure the licence plate imprint was removed from the snow
bank... just in case.

I put Gabriel racing shocks on it. This doubled the value of the car and
made it corner like a cat, but it pounded the **** out of my tail bone. I did
participate in some ice racing with it (solo). All I would do for prep was
to install a pair of huge 8:55 bias-ply snow tires on the front end. The
tires rubbed on the front fenders, but only at full opposite-lock... which
was most of the time. The front snows made for fast entry (relatively
speaking) into the corners. But those ****in' front wheel drive Fiats (with
NO snow tires) would always turn better lap times than me... "it's British
Racing Green Giuseppe... and you can't do donuts like me at the end of the
timing!!"

Old March 31st 10, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

For awhile, there was a fad
> of using Lincoln Versailles axle, suspension and brake bits on Gen I
> Mustangs, because they all bolted right up, and it improved the heck out
> of the braking and handling.

I just un-did one of those.
The Versailles spindles and steering arms resulted in 4+ inches of
bump steer.
Hitting a bump in a turn was a exciting.
The rear end was cool though..
Ben