HUH? Price of motor oil has GONE UP!!

Old December 10th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

Default HUH? Price of motor oil has GONE UP!!

Super-tech brand at walmart was $1.88 a qt. a couple months back and is now
$2.27. While crude oil has gone off a cliff. It should be 75 cents a qt.
Old December 10th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
necromancer[_5_]

SFB spewed:

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it, you cheap ****.
--
S&DDAM admits to putting others in danger with its beater:

"Foot pumps are a joke. I had one once and since the piston only moves like
2 inches it took 50 pumps to raise the pressure by one psi. Go with the
hand pumps where the piston moves around 15 inches. One of my tires has
exposed cords and i have to pump it up every week. "

--Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS, 3/6/08
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/yvrmhl
Msg ID:
Old December 10th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Nate Nagel[_2_]

necromancer wrote:
> SFB spewed:
>
>> Super-tech brand at walmart was $1.88 a qt. a couple months back and is now
>> $2.27. While crude oil has gone off a cliff. It should be 75 cents a qt.

> If you don't like the price, then don't buy it, you cheap ****.

I'm surprised it doesn't take a milk jug to the AutoZone and drain off a
gallon from the recycling tank. Hey, it's only got 3000 miles on it,
it's better than what was in there!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 10th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa

Old December 10th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Jack[_22_]

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> Super-tech brand at walmart was $1.88 a qt. a couple months back and is now
> $2.27. While crude oil has gone off a cliff. It should be 75 cents a qt.

Quit bitching and pay your Chinese Overlords.

--
Sign in the hands of a bum at a freeway off ramp:

"Will write wingnut **** for $$$"

***

I may not understand what you say, but I will defend to your death my
right to deny it.
Old December 10th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
My Land of Misery

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> On Dec 9, 8:04 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> necromancer wrote:
>>> SFB spewed:
>>> If you don't like the price, then don't buy it, you cheap ****.

>> I'm surprised it doesn't take a milk jug to the AutoZone and drain off a
>> gallon from the recycling tank. Hey, it's only got 3000 miles on it,
>> it's better than what was in there!
>>

> Hey stupid. I change the oil every 1500 miles.

You are thus contributing to the increased demand.

Call customer service at 1-900-YOU-SUCK for follow-up, or submit this HR
form.

http://www.mylandofmisery.com/misc-p...rtFeelings.jpg
Old December 10th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Bill Bonde { Remember, Remember, to Vote on the 5th of November )

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> On Dec 9, 8:04 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> > necromancer wrote:
> > > SFB spewed:

> > > If you don't like the price, then don't buy it, you cheap ****.

> > I'm surprised it doesn't take a milk jug to the AutoZone and drain off a
> > gallon from the recycling tank. Hey, it's only got 3000 miles on it,
> > it's better than what was in there!
> >

> Hey stupid. I change the oil every 1500 miles.

I was going to ask why you are always so worked up about the cost
of motor oil and there you go, answering the question without me
even asking it. Do you drive in very dusty conditions, perhaps
around Mt St Helens after a major eruption? If you delayed your oil
change to 3000 miles, it would effectively be a reduction in the
price of motor oil of 50%. Yes, it would be party time for you.
Don't thank me, just leave talk.politics.misc out of your next
post.

--
"I'm sorry, too, Dmitri... I'm very sorry... *All right*, you're
sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well... I am as sorry as
Old December 10th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Ad absurdum per aspera

A few bits of received wisdom with the ring of truth about motor oil
pricing:

* Quart plastic bottles lined up on the shelf at a store is about as
inefficient a way to distribute the stuff as one can imagine -- though
it is a convenient size to keep in the garage or the trunk for topoff
purposes. To better partial out the value of motor oil from the
overhead costs of logistics and marketing, look at what jobbers charge
fleets for 50-gallon drums.

* At prices in the dollar or even two dollar range per quart, it's a
loss leader or at best a very slender profit item for the store.
That's why it's usually located at the back or off in a corner
somewhere, so that you have plenty of opportunity to walk past more
lucrative things that you hadn't realized you needed.

* Even "dinosaur squeezings," let alone synthetics, are highly
processed chemicals with lots of additives, and the cost of doing all
that decouples motor oil's price from that of crude oil (though the
overhead cost of putting it in a plastic bottle, itself ultimately a
petrochemical, and dragging it to the store in a diesel truck also
figure into the dependence).

--Joe
Old December 11th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
z[_1_]

On Dec 10, 1:00*pm, Ad absurdum per aspera >
wrote:
> A few bits of received wisdom with the ring of truth about motor oil
> pricing:
>
> * Quart plastic bottles lined up on the shelf at a store is about as
> inefficient a way to distribute the stuff as one can imagine -- though
> it is a convenient size to keep in the garage or the trunk for topoff
> purposes. * To better partial out the value of motor oil from the
> overhead costs of logistics and marketing, look at what jobbers charge
> fleets for 50-gallon drums.
>
> * At *prices in the dollar or even two dollar range per quart, it's a
> loss leader or at best a very slender profit item for the store.
> That's why it's usually located at the back or off in a corner
> somewhere, so that you have plenty of opportunity to walk past more
> lucrative things that you hadn't realized you needed.
>
> * *Even "dinosaur squeezings," let alone synthetics, are highly
> processed chemicals with lots of additives, and the cost of doing all
> that decouples motor oil's price from that of crude oil (though the
> overhead cost of putting it in a plastic bottle, itself ultimately a
> petrochemical, and dragging it to the store in a diesel truck also
> figure into the dependence).
>
> --Joe

what i've always found odd is that the used oil is "recycled" by
burning it. i can't believe that crap that comes out of the ground
is closer to motor oil than mobil 1 just because it's spent a few
months in the engine.
Old December 11th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.bush,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa
Ad absurdum per aspera

> what i've always found odd is that the used oil is "recycled" by
> burning it. i can't believe that crap that *comes *out of the ground
> is closer to motor oil than mobil 1 just because it's spent a few
> months in the engine.

That's driven by the economics of recycling. Some (probably most) is
re-refined, some burned for heat or power generation on land. Used to
be, quite a lot in some places ended up as bunker oil on ships
Increasing restrictions on diesel and powerplant emissions might
change the balance too.