Why people talk **** about Oklahoma...

Old January 1st 05, 05:10 AM
Spike

My great grandmother was born in the Oklahoma Territory, and came to
California in a covered wagon. She lived long enough to raise 15 kids,
and see the inventions of the radio, television, telephone, and auto
become widespread. And long enough to see man walk on the moon.
That tells me that there must have been something about the OK region
which created a hearty bunch of people... maybe from ducking and
dodging them twisters and trying to hold the cows down.

Seriously, though. As a military brat, I grew up all over the country
and it seems like... a) every place we moved it turned out to be a
year of unusual weather there... and b) no matter where we lived,
people talked bad about the place for the weather. Humidity and
hurricanes in the south. Snow and ice in the north. Tornadoes in the
central plains. Earthquakes and forest fires in the west. Heat and
dust in the southwest. I have yet to find the perfect place to live.
And I have found something to like about every place I have lived.

Do have to admit, I'd rather deal with quakes. Them thar twisters is
too unpredictable, lessin' you lives in a trailer. : ) LOL

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:55:27 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>No, not some funny email. Just my random thoughts.
>
>People get this image of Oklahoma because we are prone to tornado's. So are
>about 15 other states. Thing is, we have had a few bad ones...and one damn
>movie, so people stick us with that. For some reason, they put the most
>redneck ass people on the news when this happens. I can understand why
>people get certain idea's about us "Okies".
>
>However...I love this state. A week ago, I froze my ass off at work all
>night long. In and out of the vehicle. Dealing with stupid people, giving
>out parking violation stickers, etc. Cold, very cold. Colder that a well
>digger's ass.
>
>We had a tornado at the end of October. Definitely out of season. there is
>an old saying: If you don't like Oklahoma weather, wait a day. So it has
>been cold. No surprise huh, it is December? Yesterday and today I worked for
>my father on one of the oil wells. 2 minutes ago, I admired the sunburn on
>my neck, arms, and face. 72 degrees yesterday and damn close again today. I
>am in shorts, my kids are playing outside in shorts and shirt sleeves. The
>windows to the house are all open so that we can enjoy a nice Spring breeze.
>Spring breeze? In December? Yep, and I love it.
>
>I love my state.
>
>Don Manning

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old January 1st 05, 07:09 AM
RichA

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:55:27 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>No, not some funny email. Just my random thoughts.
>
>People get this image of Oklahoma because we are prone to tornado's. So are
>about 15 other states. Thing is, we have had a few bad ones...and one damn
>movie, so people stick us with that. For some reason, they put the most
>redneck ass people on the news when this happens. I can understand why
>people get certain idea's about us "Okies".
>
>However...I love this state. A week ago, I froze my ass off at work all
>night long. In and out of the vehicle. Dealing with stupid people, giving
>out parking violation stickers, etc. Cold, very cold. Colder that a well
>digger's ass.

Turning a phrase like that will only get you more ridicule.
-Rich
Old January 1st 05, 01:21 PM
Kruse

2.3Sleeper wrote:
there is
> an old saying: If you don't like Oklahoma weather, wait a day.

I think every state in the union has this saying. I grew up in Kansas
and heard that saying all the time. (Except it had the word "Kansas" in
it, not Okalahoma) I lived in Texas and heard it all the time. My wife
is from Texas and she thought her state had the copyright to the phrase
"If you don't like Texas weather, wait a day". I used to work in
Nebraska and always heard "If you don't like Nebraska weather, wait a
day". Everytime we listen to some TV weather forcaster that says "If
you don't like Kansas weather, wait a day" , we just sit there and
laugh.

Two more things before I get off my soap box: All states have
stereotypes. If you tell somebody you are from Kansas, they ask you
were Dorothy and Toto are and if you have seen them. Whenever you talk
about a certain state, a images comes to mind.
Next item: Happy New Year everybody!! May you good luck be large and
your hangovers be small.

Old January 1st 05, 07:52 PM
Garth Almgren

Around 1/1/2005 5:21 AM, Kruse wrote:

> 2.3Sleeper wrote:
> there is
>
>>an old saying: If you don't like Oklahoma weather, wait a day.

> I think every state in the union has this saying.

Not Washington. The saying around here is "If you don't like the rain,
move back to California."

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old January 1st 05, 08:16 PM

Same with Arkansas. It grows very old & very annoying to me.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

oups.com...

Old January 1st 05, 10:01 PM
Spike

Yeah, but you'd have to miss the Tacoma Aroma from the pulp mill.
Besides the sun shines up there. I think it was on a Thursday in 1970,
and Sunday in 1971.

(Folks lived in West Seattle out on Alkai Point, and I was stationed
at McChord AFB then. Personally, I love it up there. Where else can
you go to a park and find picnic tables with covers so you can picnic
in the rain?): ) LOL )

Old January 1st 05, 10:15 PM
JS

"Kruse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> 2.3Sleeper wrote:
> there is
>> an old saying: If you don't like Oklahoma weather, wait a day.

> I think every state in the union has this saying. I grew up in Kansas
> and heard that saying all the time. (Except it had the word "Kansas" in
> it, not Okalahoma) I lived in Texas and heard it all the time. My wife
> is from Texas and she thought her state had the copyright to the phrase
> "If you don't like Texas weather, wait a day". I used to work in
> Nebraska and always heard "If you don't like Nebraska weather, wait a
> day". Everytime we listen to some TV weather forcaster that says "If
> you don't like Kansas weather, wait a day" , we just sit there and
> laugh.

You guys have to wait a whole day? In SW Pennsylvania, it seems we wait
about an hour or two between weather pattern changes.

Lately I've been rather annoyed with the weather. I think it rained more
here than Seattle in '03, and we had to be pretty close again with Ivan's
flooding in '04. It seems as though the sun doesn't shine much any more.
Case in point - people have now become so accustomed to it, I regularly see
them mowing the grass and walking the dog during rain showers because it has
to be done some time.

I guess it could be worse though. I hopped on my motorcycle this afternoon
and rode around for a half hour or so with a light jacket on... it's about
60 degrees F on Jan 1.

JS

Old January 2nd 05, 12:17 AM
RichA

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:16:01 GMT, > wrote:

>Same with Arkansas. It grows very old & very annoying to me.
>
>-Mike

Reminds me of the Barney Miller ep.
Sgt. Deitrich talking to a Southern politician.
Southern politician is annoyed with the "hick" image
his state has.
Claims that the capitol is a modern, sophisticated
city:
Politician: "We're just as sophisticated as any other urban
metropolis, we like fine food, a good wine.."
Deitrich: "What kind of wine?"
Politician: "Depends"
Deitrich: "With Possum?"
Politician: "Red."

Old January 2nd 05, 12:39 AM
DriveSpy

Having lived in Oklahoma and now Minnesota I can attest that Minnesota also
uses that same phrase. Based on the weather I've observed in both states, I
can say Oklahoma is more entitled to use it overall. Although temperature
swings here are more extreme and the weather forcasts are notably worse here in
terms of accuracy.
I do miss those sunny days in OKC and being able to drive the Cobra 12
months out of the year. Damn salt and sand for 3-4 months and sand to some
degree for all the rest. Definite lack of snow this winter so far in
Minneapolis. I'm lovin' it.
Old January 2nd 05, 01:16 AM

lmao