'66 broken motor mount

Old May 8th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default '66 broken motor mount

I had the driver's side motor mount repaired on my daughter's '66
mustang. Within 30 days the motor mount broke (the original passenger
side mount didn't break). When mount broke, the engine torqued, ruined
the brand new radiator, and the new paint job on the hood.

After the new motor mount was replaced my daughter notices the car was
hard to get in reverse. She didn't mention it to me because she
figured the car was 40 years old...

I need to know if the transmission problem could be related to the
original work on the motor mount and what other stuff might have been
damaged when the motor mount broke.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...vbrink

Old May 8th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article . com>, vbrink wrote:

> After the new motor mount was replaced my daughter notices the car was
> hard to get in reverse. She didn't mention it to me because she
> figured the car was 40 years old...

> I need to know if the transmission problem could be related to the
> original work on the motor mount and what other stuff might have been
> damaged when the motor mount broke.

AT? MT?

Could just be linkage/shifter

Old May 9th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"vbrink" > wrote:

> I had the driver's side motor mount repaired on my daughter's '66
> mustang. Within 30 days the motor mount broke (the original passenger
> side mount didn't break). When mount broke, the engine torqued, ruined
> the brand new radiator, and the new paint job on the hood.
>
> After the new motor mount was replaced my daughter notices the car was
> hard to get in reverse. She didn't mention it to me because she
> figured the car was 40 years old...
>
> I need to know if the transmission problem could be related to the
> original work on the motor mount and what other stuff might have been
> damaged when the motor mount broke.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...vbrink

Think *** clutch linkage *****

And tell your daughter that the idea is that the car doesnt ACT 40 years
old... not an excuse for ignoring problems.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 9th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

vbrink wrote:

> I need to know if the transmission problem could be related to the
> original work on the motor mount and what other stuff might have been
> damaged when the motor mount broke.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...vbrink

Assuming that this car has a manual tranny, carefully check the pivot
point on the clutch linkage. One side pivots on a ball-and-socket on
the engine and the other side pivots on a ball-and-socket on the frame.
This piece is probably bent or these ball and socket pivot points have
some white plastic inside of them that is probably wore out or broke
when the motor moved up. I think some aftermarket suppliers probably
sell this by now.

Old May 9th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

If it's an automatic, the relation of the engine to the chassis may have
changed. Readjust the shifter linkage.

--
Mark

Old May 9th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

It's an AT. It's back at the shop that replaced the motor mount. The
motor mount, radiator, and paint job are being replaced under
'insurance' from I suppose the motor mount manufacturer or maybe the
shop? I'm paying to have the other motor mount replaced. I'm more
worried other stuff was ruined when the engine torqued. Any other
thoughts?

I agree with you Krusty. My poor daughter really likes cars but her
dad has zippo car interest and my dad passed on all his car knowledge
to my brother --- drat.

Old May 9th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I had a left one that was broke once years ago.
The fan cut the upper radiator hose and the clutch linkage came apart
at the equalzer bar.
I just can't imagine the engine lifting high enough to damage the hood!
Nor have I ever seen a new mount that was defective enough to
completely separate.

Amazing...

Old May 9th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"vbrink" > wrote:

> It's an AT. It's back at the shop that replaced the motor mount. The
> motor mount, radiator, and paint job are being replaced under
> 'insurance' from I suppose the motor mount manufacturer or maybe the
> shop?

Lucky you!

> I'm paying to have the other motor mount replaced.

Cant hurt... but little effect if it does break, consider rotation

> I'm more
> worried other stuff was ruined when the engine torqued. Any other
> thoughts?

Eh... you'll find out soon enough

> I agree with you Krusty. My poor daughter really likes cars but her
> dad has zippo car interest and my dad passed on all his car knowledge
> to my brother --- drat.

Never too late for the inquisitive and interested, if not.. where does
brother live? That's what family's for.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 9th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The motor mount completely separated. The damage to the hood was from
the fan -- little swipe marks in the paint but the metal was not
damaged. I believe the repair shop isn't contesting the repair cuz'
its so obviously the manufacture's fault. (They know her dad is an
attorney - maybe that's the other reason...) But I do need to know
what else to make sure they check that could be related to the motor
torqueing...

Brother lives 300 miles a way in a world of his own which is much more
than 300 miles away...

Old May 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"vbrink" > wrote:

> Brother lives 300 miles a way in a world of his own which is much more
> than 300 miles away...

So... that would be 300 squared then, ie, on Mars.

Yep, handing 'em a card ending in ; esq. cant hurt!

Cheers... if she's young and bright, she can study up, herself!

you pay..DEAL with it!