help with 2003 A4 engine replacement

Old February 15th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default help with 2003 A4 engine replacement

I own a 2003 A4 with 52,280 miles. The engine recently lost oil
pressure on a trip and suffered engine damage. Audi is refusing to pay
for the damage and I am apealing this decision with Audi corporate.

In the event they do not do the right thing, I am seeking a used
replacement engine for the car and would like to determine which engine
types can be used. My local supplier - who seems very good - pulled up
the engine type from the vehicle VIN#. He said the engine type is an
AMD. Unfortunately, he doesn't have an AMD but has an AWM type engine.
Is there any information available to crossreference the replacement
types? Any help would he greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old February 15th 06, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

gcoz,
Try the site www.car-part.com - they use the Hollander Interchange manual.
You might also contact places like Shokan to ask them about engine
interchange.
What happened to cause the oil pressure to drop?
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

oups.com...

Old February 15th 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"gcoz" wrote
>I own a 2003 A4 with 52,280 miles. The engine recently lost oil
> pressure on a trip and suffered engine damage. Audi is refusing to pay
> for the damage and I am apealing this decision with Audi corporate.

Just curious, what was the reason for oil pressure loss? Clogged up oil
pump as a result of sludge, by any chance?

Also, how much longer did you drive it from the moment the engine light
started flashing on the dashboard?

> In the event they do not do the right thing, I am seeking a used
> replacement engine for the car and would like to determine which engine
> types can be used. My local supplier - who seems very good - pulled up
> the engine type from the vehicle VIN#. He said the engine type is an
> AMD. Unfortunately, he doesn't have an AMD but has an AWM type engine.
> Is there any information available to crossreference the replacement
> types? Any help would he greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The AWM engine was used in 2001 A4 (B5 - the previous body style), so there
is a slight possiblity that engine/tranny mounts may be different. The
engine was also controlled by a different ECU, so again, you may run into
some incompatibility issues there. If you haven't checked there yet, the
crowd on www.AudiWorld.com might be able to tell you which engine types
could be a goot fit for your model year.

Good luck,

Pete

Old February 15th 06, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks Pete. I was told by the Audi service manager that that engine
type has a problem with clogging of a screen located in a L-shaped oil
transfer tube. I am not sure he knew the exact problem in my vehicle
but this information was from a vehicle he just repaired. He showed me
the transfer tube/screen. Apparently, particulate generated in the
turbo collects in the screen. I am not sure of the location of the
transfer tube and am also puzzled why the oil filter does not remove
the particulate. In any event, I was traveling through Pennsylvania at
the time and my wife drove the car for about 20-30 miles before we
determined there was a problem. I have been advised to replace the
engine - not to repair the original. Thanks again for the info.

Greg

Old February 15th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"gcoz" wrote
> Thanks Pete. I was told by the Audi service manager that that engine
> type has a problem with clogging of a screen located in a L-shaped oil
> transfer tube.

I would have inside of the engine inspected for sludge to determine if that
is what clogged up the screen. There is an extended (80K mile I believe)
Audi sludge warranty on these engines, if you can provide the records that
all maintenance (oil changes) was performed in a timely manner. Are you the
original owner? Was the car serviced at an Audi dealer?

> I was traveling through Pennsylvania at
> the time and my wife drove the car for about 20-30 miles before we
> determined there was a problem.

Are you saying the light started flashing, and you kept driving for 20-30
miles? If so, this could fall under owner negligence as you are supposed to
pull off immediately in such cases, as per owner's manual. If Audi finds
out, they may deny coverage based on this. Of course, I'm just speculating
here as I wasn't there.

Pete

Old February 15th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks Steve, the car-part site is pretty helpful as I found a more
recent vintage engine for that body style. The particular engine in my
car is prone to clogging due to oil sludge a well-known problem with
this vintage engine. The service manager where the car was towed to
described the problem as a result of a oil transfer tube that is too
small for the engine. There is an extended drivetrain waranty on the
vehicle but they are denying coverage claiming I missed a service
interval. It's a longish story but I purchased the car from an Audi
dealership at 14k miles and it was supposed to have been serviced at
that point - but they claim not to have records of this. Anyhow,
planning to cover it myself at this point. Thanks again.

Old February 15th 06, 05:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks Pete. My wife was driving at the time and I was sleeping - we
were in the midst of an arguement as well. Just chalking it up to live
and learn. :-)
Anyhow, on the oil sludge thing - they are denying coverage based on a
missed service interval. I purchased the car as a demo - certified
pre-owned and it was supposed to have had been serviced at that point
but the Audi dealer claims not to have records of it - that is the
appeal I am making to Audi Corporate. Audi is not easy to deal with -
I love the car but am not happy with Audi response. I am planning to
fix the car and tweak the performance anyway but not sure if I will
purchase another Audi.

Greg

Old February 15th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"gcoz" wrote
> My wife was driving at the time and I was sleeping - we
> were in the midst of an arguement as well.

So... you fell asleep in the midst of a fight with your wife? LOL!

Anyway, good luck with the repairs. AoA can be a pain to deal with
sometimes. The key is to keep pestering them or even threaten with a
lawyer.
The issue with the sludge had to do with the fact that Audi dealers were
using mineral oil instead of higher quality synthetic back then (2003)
during the scheduled maintenance visits. So even if the oil was changed on
time (once a year or every 10K miles per Audi), you could have ended up with
the same problem.

Pete

Old February 15th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

" I love the car but am not happy with Audi response. "

wow.....seems to be a common expression being voiced here and other places.
Maybe that will be remedied with the free service interval.....
......what? They cancelled that ?????

Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - quite happy driving older Audis and supporting internet
parts suppliers
1980 Audi 5k - like I said...
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

oups.com...

Old February 15th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Steve Sears" wrote
> Maybe that will be remedied with the free service interval.....
> .....what? They cancelled that ?????

Are you serious? When did that happen? I must have dozed off...

Pete