Lack of power 96 A4

Old January 3rd 06, 08:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Lack of power 96 A4

i have a 96 tdi A4 which has done 155000 miles, over the last few weeks i
have noticed a drop in power. this is more noticable when the engine is under
torque. The engine also kicks out black smoke when under strain, the car is
serviced frequently so i don't think its a fuel problem.. can anyone please
help me solve this..
i am thinking maybe turbo is on its way out..

Thanks Guys
Old January 3rd 06, 09:15 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

The message <59cb5205d8283@uwe>
from "dubman" <u17230@uwe> contains these words:

> i am thinking maybe turbo is on its way out..

Check the air inlet for obstructions. First guess would be the air
filter clogged with something, but the whole inlet tract needs a look
through. You may have ingested a plastic bag.

--
Skipweasel
Never knowingly understood. (Ivor Cutler)
Old January 3rd 06, 02:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Guy King wrote:
>The message <59cb5205d8283@uwe>
>from "dubman" <u17230@uwe> contains these words:
>
>> i am thinking maybe turbo is on its way out..

>Check the air inlet for obstructions. First guess would be the air
>filter clogged with something, but the whole inlet tract needs a look
>through. You may have ingested a plastic bag.

Checked inlet and that all seems clear, the filter is new. Any other
suggestions?
Cheers
Old January 3rd 06, 07:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"dubman" <u17230@uwe> wrote:

>i have a 96 tdi A4 which has done 155000 miles, over the last few weeks i
>have noticed a drop in power. this is more noticable when the engine is under
>torque. The engine also kicks out black smoke when under strain, the car is
>serviced frequently so i don't think its a fuel problem.. can anyone please
>help me solve this..
>i am thinking maybe turbo is on its way out..

I am rather thinking the MAF is gone. Check that first. Also those
TDI's should have one.

Regards

Wolfgang
Gruß

Wolfgang

--
* Das ist meine Standardsignatur gezippt mit SigZip
Old January 4th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Ed H." > wrote in message
> "dubman" <u17230@uwe> wrote:
>
>>i have a 96 tdi A4 which has done 155000 miles, over the last few weeks i
>>have noticed a drop in power. this is more noticable when the engine is
>>under
>>torque. The engine also kicks out black smoke when under strain, the car
>>is
>>serviced frequently so i don't think its a fuel problem.. can anyone
>>please
>>help me solve this..
>>i am thinking maybe turbo is on its way out..

> Any shaking at high RPM? Could be the sparkplug wires. When is
> the last time those were replaced?
> --
> Ed H.

Ummmm . *not* likely the sparkplug wires on a diesel (tdi), though.... ;-)