Magnets on the fuel line intake

Old August 28th 08, 08:19 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

Default Magnets on the fuel line intake

On Aug 27, 6:26*pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:47:17 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
> something compelled laurentien >, to say:
>
> > * * I am a engineering researcher and I can tell you that there are a lot
> > * * of ideas that are good but for some reasons were never used or each
> > * * time you talk about them, there is huge lot of uneducated sceptics
> > * * that make fun of you.

> When I was but a lad, back in 1970 or so, I would spend hours
> pouring over the J.C. Whitney catalogue, my longing gaze drifting
> over the tools, the parts, the accessories. *One of the things
> you could get from them was a magnet that clamped around the fuel
> line, and it was supposed to do all the things you are claiming.
>
> It sounded like bull**** to me then, and it sounds like bull****
> to me now. *I remember the first gas crisis (OPEC? *What's an
> OPEC?) and sitting in line to pick up the ten gallons we were
> allowed. *The auto manufactures, caught flat footed, started
> building the most ugly cars ever turned loose upon the streets of
> this fair land. *They were smaller, however, and got better
> mileage in an effort to compete with Datsun and Toyota.
>
> One would suspect that if a magnet would have helped with that,
> magnets would have been installed.
>
> I suspect your performance improvements exist largely in your
> mind.
> --
>
> Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

By the way, the RAF and USAF did put them on their fighter airplanes
during the WWII.

LHR
Old August 28th 08, 08:42 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
\(!\)

"laurentien" > wrote in message
On Aug 27, 6:26 pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:47:17 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
> something compelled laurentien >, to say:
>
> > I am a engineering researcher and I can tell you that there are a lot
> > of ideas that are good but for some reasons were never used or each
> > time you talk about them, there is huge lot of uneducated sceptics
> > that make fun of you.

> When I was but a lad, back in 1970 or so, I would spend hours
> pouring over the J.C. Whitney catalogue, my longing gaze drifting
> over the tools, the parts, the accessories. One of the things
> you could get from them was a magnet that clamped around the fuel
> line, and it was supposed to do all the things you are claiming.
>
> It sounded like bull**** to me then, and it sounds like bull****
> to me now. I remember the first gas crisis (OPEC? What's an
> OPEC?) and sitting in line to pick up the ten gallons we were
> allowed. The auto manufactures, caught flat footed, started
> building the most ugly cars ever turned loose upon the streets of
> this fair land. They were smaller, however, and got better
> mileage in an effort to compete with Datsun and Toyota.
>
> One would suspect that if a magnet would have helped with that,
> magnets would have been installed.
>
> I suspect your performance improvements exist largely in your
> mind.
> --
>
> Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Lets try to be Cartesian or rational about these subjects.

What you believe is of no interest for people living on facts and
scientific thinking. That is the basis of engineering, never take for
granted what people believe, it often proves wrong. Example, when a
persone drive a car with a small engine with not much torque, they
will drive it in the low revs because they feel the engine suffers
less since it makes less noise. They then drive the car with almost no
torque and risk to damage it. Try to explain that to the average
people knowing nothing about cars.

What I am trying to do here is to collect facts from people who made
tests by themselves and give enough information so we can repeat them.
One guy showed a page of researchers who have tried various fuel
saving gadgets where they say that nothing works so these results are
important but we only see their results but we have no idea of what
they tried and which methodology they applied. Then, I do not know if
they worked properly and if their results are valid. Double checking
others results is part of our academic jobs.

And now, if you have not tried magnets on our own Audi, how can you
have the honest nerve to say that performance improvements exist
largely in my mind. People should not judge each other in that sense.

LHR

Life is too short to drive US cars.

Steve is just here for an argument so do not worry too much over him.....

now to really get 10 to 15% more mpg out of your Audi,

1. do not take the revs over 2k where possible.
2. reduce acceleration unless really necessary.
3. keep tyres at correct pressure.
4. polish the bodywork to reduce drag.
5. keep the engine and mechanics in tip top condition.

Old August 28th 08, 09:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Frank

laurentien knastet i vei:
> On Aug 27, 6:37 pm, Frank > wrote:
>> laurentien knastet i vei:
>>
>>> I will give you an example.
>>> Citroen did put front wheel drive on its main production car (the
>>> Traction) in 1935 making them the first company to mass produce a FWD.

>> Ehh .. DKW did it before, early 1931

> DKW which entered Auto Union in 1932, they only offered a FWD in 1951.

"DKW cars were made from 1928 until 1966. They always used two-stroke
engines and, from 1931, the company was a pioneer in front-wheel drive
and transverse mounting."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKW

Old August 28th 08, 11:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jon B

Steve Daniels > wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 06:47:17 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
> something compelled laurentien >, to say:
>
> > I am a engineering researcher and I can tell you that there are a lot
> > of ideas that are good but for some reasons were never used or each
> > time you talk about them, there is huge lot of uneducated sceptics
> > that make fun of you.

> When I was but a lad, back in 1970 or so, I would spend hours
> pouring over the J.C. Whitney catalogue, my longing gaze drifting
> over the tools, the parts, the accessories. One of the things
> you could get from them was a magnet that clamped around the fuel
> line, and it was supposed to do all the things you are claiming.
>
> It sounded like bull**** to me then, and it sounds like bull****
> to me now. I remember the first gas crisis (OPEC? What's an
> OPEC?) and sitting in line to pick up the ten gallons we were
> allowed. The auto manufactures, caught flat footed, started
> building the most ugly cars ever turned loose upon the streets of
> this fair land. They were smaller, however, and got better
> mileage in an effort to compete with Datsun and Toyota.
>
> One would suspect that if a magnet would have helped with that,
> magnets would have been installed.
>
> I suspect your performance improvements exist largely in your
> mind.

Yep, can't quite see how a magnet near the fuel tank, even if it does
have an effect on the (non magnetic) fuel, by the time it's got to the
engine, any effect must surely be lost. Even stranger that it would also
work just as well on both petrol & diesel fuels.

As others have said major manufacturers spend millions looking into ways
to reduce fuel economy, especially at these times, if it worked, it'd be
standard, or at worst they'd offer it as an over priced option. They
don't. They've never been scientifically proven, but have been
scientficially disproven many times. It's just a few people saying well
my car feels faster, and I reckon I'm getting 2mpg more. Probably
because they push the pedal harder up the hills, and between time hold
back off the gas trying to prove it, and therefore increasing fuel
economy anyway.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old August 28th 08, 01:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

On Aug 28, 9:30 am, Frank > wrote:
> laurentien knastet i vei:
>
> > On Aug 27, 6:37 pm, Frank > wrote:
> >> laurentien knastet i vei:

> >> Ehh .. DKW did it before, early 1931

> > DKW which entered Auto Union in 1932, they only offered a FWD in 1951.

> "DKW cars were made from 1928 until 1966. They always used two-stroke
> engines and, from 1931, the company was a pioneer in front-wheel drive
> and transverse mounting."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKW
>

> > Citroen is still the first car manufacturer to bring FWD to a car
> > built on a production line.
> > The first car that came with FWD was in fact the Cord but it was hand
> > made and was not available to the average person.

> > LHR

No, Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, since I have
read a lot of false information there and anyone can write in there. I
have done some research on DKW, it is nowhere indicated that they did
a FWD before 1951. However, making a FWD in 1951 is still ahead of
most car manufacturers since the next one would be the Renault 16 in
1965.

LHR
Old August 28th 08, 02:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Frank

laurentien knastet i vei:

>> engines and, from 1931, the company was a pioneer in front-wheel drive
>> and transverse mounting."
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKW

> No, Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, since I have
> read a lot of false information there and anyone can write in there. I

Thhen, look at a picture of a DKW 1931 with fwd

http://www.classiccar.com/photopost/...to/240/cat/514
http://www.automotto.org/entry/top-1...-vintage-cars/

Fake ? False ?

Try Google

http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=dkw+fwd

Old August 28th 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Frank

Frank knastet i vei:
> laurentien knastet i vei:
>
>>> engines and, from 1931, the company was a pioneer in front-wheel drive
>>> and transverse mounting."
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKW

>> No, Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, since I have
>> read a lot of false information there and anyone can write in there. I

> Thhen, look at a picture of a DKW 1931 with fwd
>
> http://www.classiccar.com/photopost/...to/240/cat/514
> http://www.automotto.org/entry/top-1...-vintage-cars/
>
> Fake ? False ?
>

> Try Google
>
> http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=dkw+fwd

At Audi.com website;

"The 1931 DKW F 1 was the car that introduced front-wheel drive to the
mass-produced car for the first time."

"In 1933, an Audi with front-wheel drive appeared, to join the DKW
`Front´ models on the market"

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/abo...eel_drive.html

---

Need more references ?
Old August 28th 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Frank

Frank knastet i vei:

> Need more references ?

Conclusion, the frog eaters came with fwd 4 years later then DKW,
2 years later than Audi.

Your information "Citroen ... in 1935 making them the first company
to mass produce a FWD." Indicated as being incorrect.

---

I guess, your impression of "dramatic acceleration improvements" with
"Magnets on the fuel line intake" on your Audi, will show to be as
unfounded as your statements on fwd ...
Old August 28th 08, 02:53 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Frank

Frank knastet i vei:

> Need more references ?

Conclusion, the frog eaters came with fwd 4 years later than DKW,
2 years later than Audi.

Your information "Citroen ... in 1935 making them the first company
to mass produce a FWD." Indicated as being incorrect.

---

I guess, your impression of "dramatic acceleration improvements"
with "Magnets on the fuel line intake" on your Audi, will show to
be as unfounded as your statements on fwd ...

It seems. you are not a very "reliable source of information"
Old August 28th 08, 09:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:34:32 +0100, against all advice, something
compelled "\(!\)" >, to say:

> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-Saver-for...d=p3286.c0.m14

I like snake oil. It keeps the snakes from squeaking.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Replacing main fuel pump. Question pinching fuel line from transfer pump. tonyw VW water cooled 2 August 14th 06 06:09 AM
magnets on fuel line barry Mazda 22 July 29th 06 02:44 PM
New Fuel Line? Lee VW air cooled 10 October 19th 05 02:04 PM
Magnets, apple corers and other fuel saving devices Technology 22 September 21st 05 06:27 PM
Fuel line leak at fuel rail [email protected] Technology 2 May 9th 05 01:33 AM