Windshield washer does not work

Old February 3rd 05, 12:59 AM
Papa

Default Windshield washer does not work

I own a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible that I am trying to restore. One of
the things that apparently does not work is the windshield washer. I assume
that the way it is supposed to work is to pull back on the windshield wiper
lever on the right side of the steering column. When I do that, nothing
happens. A new washer pump has been installed, and the wipers themselves
work ok (2 speed). I haven't checked the fusebox yet, but according to my
service manual, the wipers and the washer both are connected through the
same fuse.

Looks like I may have a broken circuit for the washer. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:02 AM
Simplstupd

Need to use a voltmeter to find out if 12V is getting to the washer pump and
trace backwards from there.

Without looking at your car, if I had to guess the problem, it is in the wiper
switch itself.
Old February 3rd 05, 04:17 AM
Papa

"Simplstupd" > wrote in message
> Need to use a voltmeter to find out if 12V is getting to the washer pump
> and
> trace backwards from there.
>
> Without looking at your car, if I had to guess the problem, it is in the
> wiper
> switch itself.

Yes, that's my guess too. Thanks for responding and for your good ideas.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:09 PM
dave

If you look at the washer switch contacts you will probably find the contacts
dirty/burnt.
Look inbetween the steering wheel and the steering column right by the ign lock
and try activating the washer function to find those contacts.
You can clean and adjust them so that they can make good contact when you
activate the washer function.
You can see the contacts without removing the steering wheel. You can also
clean and adjust them like that IIRC. You might have to remove the lower
plastic piece of that steering column by removing those two tiny screws.

I either use a small piece of sandpaper or fingernail file to clean. I use
either a screwdriver or needlenose pliers to adjust or bend one or both of the
contacts. Yes you can bend it too far so that the contacts are constantly
touching. lol you don't want that! ;-)

This whole operation should take you about 10 minutes!

Hope this helps.

later,
dave
(One out of many Daves)
Old February 3rd 05, 01:45 PM
Papa

Thanks very much, Dave. I'll give it a shot, and post the result back here -
but it may be in a day or two. My car is in the shop getting some other work
done right now.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:02 PM
N8N

Papa wrote:
> I own a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible that I am trying to restore.

One of
> the things that apparently does not work is the windshield washer. I

assume
> that the way it is supposed to work is to pull back on the windshield

wiper
> lever on the right side of the steering column. When I do that,

nothing
> happens. A new washer pump has been installed, and the wipers

themselves
> work ok (2 speed). I haven't checked the fusebox yet, but according

to my
> service manual, the wipers and the washer both are connected through

the
> same fuse.
>
> Looks like I may have a broken circuit for the washer. Any

suggestions?
> Thanks.

I went through this on my '84 Scirocco, I ended up having to replace
everything but the switch - it was all dead. The pump is actually
fairly expensive, so if you can get a good used one from a junkyard
you're better off doing that. You will need to get a grommet from the
dealer if you remove the pump (you will see what I mean when you get in
there.) I had to replace the nozzles on the hood as well (dealer) and
all the hoses as they were old and brittle. The cool thing is that the
windshield washer tubing is exactly the same as the stuff that is used
for air hose for aquariums so you can get the tubing and fittings at
your local Petco for cheap. I spent the extra $2 and got a roll of the
"lifetime" silicone hose which worked well for the whole time I owned
the car.

Obviously as the other poster suggested test the voltage at the pump
connector before you do anything else, that will help you narrow down
the problem, or at least see if there is a problem with the column
switch.

good luck

nate

Old February 3rd 05, 02:49 PM
Papa

Thanks Nate. I already have a new pump, new bottle, new grommet, and new
tubing. The old tubing was so brittle, you wouldn't believe. Wish I had
known about the aquarium source for tubing. I tried some black rubber tubing
from a NAPA store for $2, but it wouldn't fit even though it was the same
size (couldn't get it to slide onto the fittings) - so I bit the dealership
price bullet. O, well.

I bought the pump, grommet, and bottle new on Ebay for about $50 including
shipping.

Regards.