2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

Old December 2nd 04, 06:50 PM
Seth Brundle

Default 2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade.
It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.

BMW has put me in such a difficult position with their pricing, body
design, and iDrive.

The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'. I mean I really
wanted to like it but I just could not as hard as I tried. It truly
looks terrible to me, my girlfriend had the exact same reaction.

Meanwhile, the A6 is a very pedestrian Audi design - better in that it
doesnt bother me.

The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate, I think
I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly. The
540i is slightly faster in acceleration thanks to the torque if not
the HP.

I know I'll like driving the BMW more, thats what got me the 540i.
I've driven Audis - they are 'smooth' - real smooth, but Im not
looking for smooth, I like 'fun'.

Anyways - opinions?
Old December 2nd 04, 07:06 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Seth Brundle" > wrote
>I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade.
> It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.
>
> BMW has put me in such a difficult position with their pricing, body
> design, and iDrive.
>
> The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'. I mean I really
> wanted to like it but I just could not as hard as I tried. It truly
> looks terrible to me, my girlfriend had the exact same reaction.

And you like the new Audi styling with the big snoz?

> Anyways - opinions?

The latest Car & Driver likes it a lot, but they don't like the sport
suspension.

Floyd

Old December 2nd 04, 07:48 PM
Randy S

I'm a German car fan myself (have two Mercedes) and have been looking at the
5-series (hate iDrive) and the new A6 as well. However, I've had horrible
experiences with Mercedes service, and a friend has had similar experience with
his older Audi A6. I actually stopped in and looked at the new Acura RL
yesterday, and I was very impressed overall. I didn't drive it however, and
I'm sure its 300-HP V6 isn't in the same torque league as the German V8s.
However, for $49,000 loaded with Navi, all-wheel-drive, e.t.c. (there are no
options), it's a bargin. I just wish the backseat was bigger.

Randy
Old December 2nd 04, 08:10 PM
Tony

I think that the 130 mph limit is a bit understated. This may be done to keep
the claim within tire speed ratings.

At an on track driving 'school' last spring I was driving a friend's '04 S4 4.2
(which is also supposed to have a limit of 130) and was hitting 150+ on the
straight with a lot of room to go.

Tony

Old December 2nd 04, 09:25 PM
Pete

"Tony" wrote
> At an on track driving 'school' last spring I was driving a friend's
> '04 S4 4.2 (which is also supposed to have a limit of 130) and was
> hitting 150+ on the straight with a lot of room to go.
>
> Tony

According to the US specs, the S4 is electronically limited to 155 mph.
And of course you can remove that limit by getting an aftermarket
chip/software as well.

Cheers,

Pete

Old December 2nd 04, 09:45 PM
Ramone Cila

"Seth Brundle" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade.
> It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.
>
> BMW has put me in such a difficult position with their pricing, body
> design, and iDrive.

Fitted similarly, the cars have a difference of 4 or 5 grand. At this price
level that's not much. I-drive isn't an issue unless you make it so. By and
large the magazines are essentially wrong with their reviews of i-drive.
Body design? If you don't like it...don't buy it. I wouldn't buy a car which
I didn't apprciate the exterior styling.

I own a 545i.

> The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'. I mean I really
> wanted to like it but I just could not as hard as I tried. It truly
> looks terrible to me, my girlfriend had the exact same reaction.
>
> Meanwhile, the A6 is a very pedestrian Audi design - better in that it
> doesnt bother me.

I think differently. I think it is quite nice looking...even the large
grill. Audi is more an "everyman's" car. Caught somewhere between being best
at anything. Reviews say it rides hard....too hard. But I haven't had an
opportunity behind the wheel. though I must say that BMW's compliant yet
gripping ride is one of the things I like most about BMW's in general
regardless of model.

> The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate, I think
> I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly. The
> 540i is slightly faster in acceleration thanks to the torque if not
> the HP.

The 545 has been clocked at 5.3 (Road and Track) to 60 with an auto
tranny...Audi specs 6.3 and 6.1 for the new A6.

Old December 3rd 04, 12:29 AM
GRL

It may drive great and you can't tell how ugly it may be from inside, but
remember, every time that you go to drive it you're going to have to look at
it before you get inside.

A great drive is a great drive only while you're driving, but ugly is
forever.

- GRL

Old December 3rd 04, 01:47 AM
Scott C

Randy, I also looked at the RL -have driven twice now.. not the same class
as BMW, but the standard features in the RL are great. Got the Blue Tooth
working with my phone the last time I drive one. I'm thinking this way too..
but doubt I'll make the move to the RL.. but have not ruled it out yet.

sc

Old December 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
LIW

For the same money, I bought a used 2002 Audi S8 (like the one in Ronin).
Unbelievable!!! Buy a certified pre-owned, and you'll have a warranty as
well.

2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 08:35 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 5 October 3rd 04 03:47 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 0 October 3rd 04 02:16 PM
Help - 17" wheel size (offset) for 2005 S4 Cabriolet Rsmzi Nassar Audi 0 October 3rd 04 02:15 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM