96 Civic iPod install question

Old January 2nd 05, 04:16 AM
daveydave

Default 96 Civic iPod install question

I've run into a bit of a snag and perhaps someone here can offer up
some advice:
So I'm installing a PIE Hon/AUX adapter in my 96 Civic and I removed my
dashboard and pulled out both my radio headunit as well as the CD
player (which is mounted down near the cupholders) in hopes of finding
the port for the CD-Changer which the Hon/AUX adapter would plug into.
Turns out that there is no 'extra' port on the CD player unit for
anything to be plugged into and the only cd-player/changer input on the
head unit is taken by the cd-player. I was probably naive in assuming
that there would be another input for a cd-changer because all the
diagrams I've seen have been for adding a hon/AUX to a tape deck which
DOES have a cd-changer input on it. Now the disclaimer on Logjam's
website about the Hon/AUX adapter not being compatible with vehicles
that have the standard AM/FM radio with a single disc satellite-mounted
CD player is making sense (so that's what they mean by
satellite...hmmm). My question is how, if at all, have people added aux
inputs to Hondas that have satellite-mounted CD players, and is there
any way I can do this with the equipment I have? Thanks very much for
reading.
-Dave

Old January 2nd 05, 08:21 PM
daveydave

After some searching, I came across this device:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonalpv1d.html
It seems like it will allow both a CD-player and AUX. Anyone tries
using one of these?

Old January 2nd 05, 10:18 PM
motsco_ _

daveydave wrote:
> After some searching, I came across this device:
> http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonalpv1d.html
> It seems like it will allow both a CD-player and AUX. Anyone tries
> using one of these?

=================

That's a really cool gizmo, if a bit expensive. Whatever trips your
trigger. I think some of your interior wiring is routed thru your radio
(even if you don't have alarm) so you might be way better to add the
gizmo than to replace your whole head unit.

'Curly'

Old January 3rd 05, 01:13 AM

motsco_ _ <"motsco_ > wrote:
> That's a really cool gizmo, if a bit expensive. Whatever trips your
> trigger. I think some of your interior wiring is routed thru your radio
> (even if you don't have alarm) so you might be way better to add the
> gizmo than to replace your whole head unit.

I would be willing to give up my CD player and use only the MP3.
The only time I've inserted a CD in the last year is when I wanted to see
how it switched between the logjam-PIE adapter and the internal CD.

--
---

Old January 3rd 05, 01:20 AM

daveydave > wrote:
> After some searching, I came across this device:
> http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonalpv1d.html
> It seems like it will allow both a CD-player and AUX. Anyone tries
> using one of these?

Do you have a round connector on your existing head unit, or a 14 pin
connector? This unit has an Alpine connector, which I have in another car.
The implication is that the adapter plugs in to the head unit, allowing an
Alpine to plug into the adapter on a connector that I can't see in the
photo, which may or may not be the same as your "satellite" Honda CD
player. Time to call Logjam.

--
---

Old January 3rd 05, 03:56 AM
daveydave

Thanks for your replies so far. There's a round 8-pin DIN plug coming
out from the CD-player and going into the head unit. The pinout and
connector looks like the pins on the LEFT in this picture
(http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ima...honda_14_8.jpg) -- I
think they call it an Alpine M-Bus but I'm not sure! It's not 14 pins
though. I got an email response back from Logjam saying that I was out
of luck due to my particular car/model/stereo setup but I keep on
thinking there must be SOME way, either through adapter cables, etc.
It'd be nice if they made splitters or switchers for the 8pin DIN
(although I don't know what the other application for it would be!) I
see multi-input switchers for RCA connection, but even if I were to go
that route, I'd lose track/skip control of my CD-player. I bet this
will end up costing more than a new stereo when I'm all said and done.
Perhaps biting the bullet and losing the CD-player in favor of the ipod
is the way to go. Hmm...any more thoughts? Thanks again.

Old January 3rd 05, 06:41 AM

daveydave > wrote:
> Thanks for your replies so far. There's a round 8-pin DIN plug coming
> out from the CD-player and going into the head unit. The pinout and
> connector looks like the pins on the LEFT in this picture
> (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ima...honda_14_8.jpg) -- I
> think they call it an Alpine M-Bus but I'm not sure! It's not 14 pins

The 14 pin connector on that picture looks like my 2003 Honda OEM connector.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piealpaiaux.html shows the three
connections for head unit, ipod, and CD, but this is for an Alpine AI-Net.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=124 M-Bus Alpine.
Oops. "Factory Alpine radios found in select Honda, Volvo, BMW, Land Rover,
Ford etc are not V-Link compatible."

I would think Logjam would know, but if you don't like their answer, you
can contact PIE directly.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonalpv1d.html doesn't say anything
about the Alpine M-Bus. It just notes that it is compatible with Honda, so
I would guess that it is the right adapter if you want to keep your CD.
Blitzsafe support 201-569-5000 x5105.
But that's a lot of money to keep the CD. You already have the other
adapter? Have you tried it?

---

Old January 3rd 05, 08:37 AM
Randolph

daveydave wrote:

> Thanks for your replies so far. There's a round 8-pin DIN plug coming
> out from the CD-player and going into the head unit. The pinout and
> connector looks like the pins on the LEFT in this picture
> (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ima...honda_14_8.jpg) -- I
> think they call it an Alpine M-Bus but I'm not sure! It's not 14 pins
> though. I got an email response back from Logjam saying that I was out
> of luck due to my particular car/model/stereo setup but I keep on
> thinking there must be SOME way, either through adapter cables, etc.
> It'd be nice if they made splitters or switchers for the 8pin DIN
> (although I don't know what the other application for it would be!) I
> see multi-input switchers for RCA connection, but even if I were to go
> that route, I'd lose track/skip control of my CD-player. I bet this
> will end up costing more than a new stereo when I'm all said and done.
> Perhaps biting the bullet and losing the CD-player in favor of the ipod
> is the way to go. Hmm...any more thoughts? Thanks again.

Logjam probably knows their stuff, but just to be sure you could contact
Blitzsafe at and ask if their HON/ALP V.1D
(that is the device you found at Logjam, not?) would work in your
particular setup. AIUI, Blitzsafe is the manufacturer of the device.
Old January 3rd 05, 03:43 PM
motsco_ _

daveydave wrote:
> Thanks for your replies so far. There's a round 8-pin DIN plug coming
> out from the CD-player and going into the head unit. The pinout and
> connector looks like the pins on the LEFT in this picture
> (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ima...honda_14_8.jpg) -- I
> think they call it an Alpine M-Bus but I'm not sure! It's not 14 pins
> though. I got an email response back from Logjam saying that I was out
> of luck due to my particular car/model/stereo setup but I keep on
> thinking there must be SOME way, either through adapter cables, etc.
> It'd be nice if they made splitters or switchers for the 8pin DIN
> (although I don't know what the other application for it would be!) I
> see multi-input switchers for RCA connection, but even if I were to go
> that route, I'd lose track/skip control of my CD-player. I bet this
> will end up costing more than a new stereo when I'm all said and done.
> Perhaps biting the bullet and losing the CD-player in favor of the ipod
> is the way to go. Hmm...any more thoughts? Thanks again.

------------------------

You could pick up a AM/FM/CD stereo from eBay and then you'd have a
vacant connector on the back (unless you feel you want to use cassette
AND CD). EXCEPT: Does your Civic have that crazy stereo with one side
'rounded' and the other side is square-cornered?

'Curly'

Old January 3rd 05, 09:10 PM
daveydave

I got another email from Logjam saying that the device was not intended
for my factory unit. Kinda wish they'd answer my question about the
types of input it has on it, rather than just shoot my hopes down
outright, but it would be another $100 anyway. I think I can live
without my CD-player and just rely on the use of my iPod from now on,
especially since that's how my music is usually stored anyway. The
Hon/Aux adapter works and sounds great. Thank you all for helping me
out with this predicament!

91 Civic CAT question Sean Honda 1 December 29th 04 05:04 PM
1997 Honda Civic question darien7684 Honda 14 December 10th 04 10:58 PM
'90 Civic LX Rear Speaker Install Advice Needed WaterWatcher Honda 3 October 28th 04 07:27 AM
Civic Oil pressure light question Juan Honda 4 September 29th 04 02:03 AM