Coolant leak - Audi 100 '86

Old January 14th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Coolant leak - Audi 100 '86

Hi all

Got a problem with our Audi 100 2.2 from 1985 - the last few days it's been
dropping a whole load of coolant; it doesn't seem to be from the reservoir
or any of the hoses connected with this, and the amount of coolant and the
fact that it continues even while the car's been left standing for ages
doesn't indicate a head gasket failure. The coolant seems to form a pool
under the sump right in the centre of the motor; I've followed the trace of
fluid it back (as best I can right now) to the front of the motor somewhere.
Anyone have any idea whatsoever about where the leak could be?

The temp. gauge is indicating normal operating temperatures, and the car
doesn't seem lose a constant amount of coolant - sometimes it's a lot,
sometimes very little...

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)

--
Regards
Chris

Old January 14th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

'86 100??? In the US? May be Europe.

My guess is that your water pump is going out with bad bearings. If it is a
European T44 I5 it is time for a timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc.

I had a water pump on one fail like that until it dumped all the coolant on the
road.

Old January 14th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Tony" > wrote in message
> '86 100??? In the US? May be Europe.

Sorry, forgot to mention that; yep, I'm in europe, Denmark to be precise.

> My guess is that your water pump is going out with bad bearings. If it is
> a European T44 I5 it is time for a timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc.
>
> I had a water pump on one fail like that until it dumped all the coolant
> on the road.

Hmm. That sounds pretty dodgy and, owing to lack of a workshop, nothing I
can fix myself :-(

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it

--
Regards
Chris

Old January 15th 06, 09:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Chris G." > wrote in message
. ..

Yep, took a look this morning and it's certainly looking like the
water-pump's shuffled off this mortal coil :-/

--
Chris
: )

Old January 15th 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Tony" > wrote in message
> '86 100??? In the US? May be Europe.

Err... where did he say it was a US model? The 100 was known as the 5000 in
the US, not the other way round.

Regards

Jonathan

Old January 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Try reading it again.

I think this is due to our language barrier. :-)

Old January 15th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

If you need to R&R the timing belt this would be a good time to do it with the
water pump.

If not you change the pump fairly easily. The pump rotates to tighten the timing
belt. Be sure to check valve timing after the change.