1977 CJ 5 Blown Rear end

Old September 15th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Wiggler

Default 1977 CJ 5 Blown Rear end

Help needed I have a 1977 CJ5 jeep with a V8 and stock rear end. The
rear differental failed and was replaced with a spool by previous owner
now I am putting a differental back in to the rear end and could use
any information on installation and set up.

Old September 15th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Setting up rear ends is a job I think is best left to a pro. There are
too many variable and shims and pretorques involved for most mechanics
to even tackle. It is a specialty.

I feel comfortable rebuilding an engine, but won't touch a rear/front
end except for some seals.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 15th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

A spool gives you an incredible advantage off-road, for that little
squeal going around that ninety degree turn, and less mileage.
http://www.differentials.com/install.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 16th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

I heard of a guy who used a spool and locking hubs in the rear, just kept
one locked and switched every week or so to keep the wear even.

I must say I never saw the jeep nor do I know if this actually works. Just
an idea.

Troy

oups.com...

Old September 16th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Used to be very common on Jeeps being flat towed. Just not strong
enough for anything other than a four cylinder.
http://www.warn.com/truck/axles/full_float_axles.shtml
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 16th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Mike,

In general I agree, but when changing a carrier all you need to get right
are the bearing preload and the gear lash. That is a heck of a lot simpler
than setting the pinion depth and preload. Wiggle, "they" recommend new
ring gear bolts, clean and dry the threads in the ring gear, and torque the
new bolts evenly with thread locker. You will need a bearing puller to get
the carrier bearings off the spool, or you can just use new ones. A brass
drift should do for installing the carrier bearings onto the carrier. You
may need to get some additional shims to get the carrier preload right. I
am assuming that you have a Dana rear end. A case spreader would be nice to
have. I have already mentioned more special tools than most people would
care to buy. If you decide to go ahead, set the preload first, then swap
shims to get the gear lash right.

Earle