Broken Detent (Checker) Rod on Driver's Door

Old June 2nd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Broken Detent (Checker) Rod on Driver's Door

The detent (or checker rod) is broken on the driver's door of my '93 Honda
Accord. Has anyone ever replaced one of these?

Thanks

Old June 2nd 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"mgs227" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> The detent (or checker rod) is broken on the driver's door of my '93
> Honda Accord. Has anyone ever replaced one of these?
>
> Thanks

Where's it broken? Did it pull out of the door? Did the pin wear through?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 2nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It pulled out of the door.

Old June 2nd 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

No, this is located in the hinge area of the door. It is in between the
two door hinges.

Old June 2nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

mgs227 wrote:

> The detent (or checker rod) is broken on the driver's door of my '93 Honda
> Accord. Has anyone ever replaced one of these?
>
> Thanks

Is that the part that determines whether you're holding the outer handle
open when you push down the locking plunger (as per the owner's manual)?

What's the problem / cause?

Show us:
http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...ViewParts=true

'Curly'
Old June 3rd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"mgs227" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> It pulled out of the door.

Remove the door trim panel (upholstery). Make sure window is up.

Remove the check pin by pushing it up out of its holes.

Unbolt the door check strap from the door by undoing the two 10mm bolts.

Withdraw the check strap from the inside of the door.

Install replacement. You can get these dirt-cheap from the wreckers.

Need more details? Just ask.

Old June 6th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Hey...I have a loose (possibly broken) part related to the detent rod.
On the car side of the connection (where the pin connects the detent
rod to the bracket), the bracket is loose and creating a popping sound
because of the movement that isn't supposed to be happening.

Is there a way to get to it to tighten or replace that part? I didn't
see it on the inside of the fender or under the dash. Do I need to
remove the entire dash?

Thanks.

--
aceharmonic
aceharmonic's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=459201

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 6th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

aceharmonic > wrote in
:

> Hey...I have a loose (possibly broken) part related to the detent rod.
> On the car side of the connection (where the pin connects the detent
> rod to the bracket), the bracket is loose and creating a popping sound
> because of the movement that isn't supposed to be happening.
>
> Is there a way to get to it to tighten or replace that part? I didn't
> see it on the inside of the fender or under the dash. Do I need to
> remove the entire dash?

You sure it isn't just the pin having worn oval? Try turning it 90 degrees
with a pair of pliers and see if the noise changes.

If the bracket is indeed loose (rare), you can drill holes and put big
self-tapping screws through the top and bottom.

Old June 6th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It is definately the loose bracket. I can watch it pop in and out of
place when the door is opened all the way. They do sell replacements,
bolts and all. I will think about the self tapping screw idea.

Thanks.

Old June 7th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

aceharmonic > wrote in
:

> It is definately the loose bracket. I can watch it pop in and out of
> place when the door is opened all the way. They do sell replacements,
> bolts and all.

For the car side? That's usually spot-welded in position. Where are
replacements available?