1991 Honda Accord Timing belt

Old March 21st 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1991 Honda Accord Timing belt

Hi all,

I went to the local honda dealer today to correct a minor problem that I had
with a seat belt of my 1991 Honda Accord . After diagnosing the problem with
the seatbelt, the technician came back to me saying that the timing belt is
due for replacement. He then quoted ~$700 for replacing the timing belt.

This surprises me because, the records that I have from previous owners of
this car indicate that the timing belt was changed around 2 years ago, and
the car has run only 7000 miles after that. Besides, as far I know, it
requires quite a bit of labor just to check the timing belt. Am I right?
Given that he came back within 20-30 min, I even wonder if they really
checked the belt.

Can anyone tell me if I should take this technician's diagnosis seriously?
Or, was he just trying to get himself some business?

Thank you
Fijoy

Old March 21st 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Most likely the technician was either (1) guesstimating (and
poorly at that) based on what he saw on your Accord's
odometer or (2) you bet, trying to rip you off, majorly,
from the looks of things.

Some labor (certain covers removed) is required to get any
kind of look at the timing belt. A seat belt repair should
not have involved these parts at all. One cannot generally
hear a timing belt going bad, either.

Furthermore, even after removing the covers, one cannot
inspect a timing belt and say very accurately whether it
needs replacement. Wear is simply usually not all that
obvious.

Ask these birds what indications they had that your timing
belt needed replacement. Make them say exactly what was
done. Report back. People here will tell you whether to run
from this dealership or not.

Your belt is probably due every six years or 90k miles, like
my 91 Civic, unless you drive the car in "severe"
conditions. The frequency of replacement should be in the
owner's manual.

I'm sure an update would help the group. If this dealership
was messing with you, I would seriously consider calling
Honda America (assuming you live in the U.S.) and asking
them to note your concern.

"Fijoy George" > wrote

Old March 21st 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

P.S. Are they doing the seat belt repair under warranty?
Seat belts are covered for the life of the car and I believe
the warranty transfers from one owner to the next.

Old March 21st 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yeah, the seatbelt repair was done under warranty. They did not charge me
anything for that.

Thanks
Fijoy

nk.net...

Old March 21st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

| quoted ~$700 for replacing the timing belt
this quote is very high ; 1 shop here said a set of OEM t-belts cost
~US$60

| if I should take this technician's diagnosis seriously?
Ask him why he opened the cover to see t-belt w-o your request.
F20A's t-belt cover's bolts are blocked by 1 engine mounting : cover
cannot be opened & closed in 20 min, try & you'll see.

Old March 21st 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"TE Cheah" > wrote in :

| "Fijoy George" > wrote in
| :

>| quoted ~$700 for replacing the timing belt
>|
> this quote is very high ; 1 shop here said a set of OEM t-belts cost
> ~US$60

And who's supposed to INSTALL these $60 belts, you twit? Are they supposed
to just install themselves?

>| if I should take this technician's diagnosis seriously?
>|
> Ask him why he opened the cover to see t-belt w-o your request.
> F20A's t-belt cover's bolts are blocked by 1 engine mounting : cover
> cannot be opened & closed in 20 min, try & you'll see.

Stupid idiot.

Only the valve cover needs to be removed for inspection. Not that
inspection would tell you much anyway.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 22nd 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for all your replies. I called up the dealer and asked how they knew
the belt was due for replacement. Apparantly, like Elle said, the
technician's diagnosis was just based on the odometer reading.

What bother's me is that he made the diagnosis without asking me if it was
ever replaced. Poor customer interaction I suppose.

Thanks
Fijoy

Old March 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Fijoy George" > wrote
> Thanks for all your replies. I called up the dealer and
> asked how they knew the belt was due for replacement.
> Apparantly, like Elle said, the technician's diagnosis was
> just based on the odometer reading.
>
> What bother's me is that he made the diagnosis without
> asking me if it was ever replaced.

Indeed. This sounds like a good lesson in working with
dealers. You're one of the few who didn't lose an arm and a
leg, money-wise, as part of the lesson, too!

Way to keep good records! Way to ask questions! All newbies,
take a cue from George!

Old March 25th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"TeGGeR®" > wrote

> And who's supposed to INSTALL these $60 belts, you twit? Are they supposed
> to just install themselves?

BALANCER BELT $55.96
TIMING BELT $54.40
Total: $110.36
Labor: $590.00

At $15/hour this would take about 40 hours. And I've replace
this stuff countless times for under 4 hours. Sounds like a Gypt.

> Only the valve cover needs to be removed for inspection.

These covers are flexible. On some Accords, Don't remember
which, I've remove them without the valve cover removed.

Old May 5th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
xravisn

can you tell me where i can get this done for $15/hour? I have alot of
work for them to do

--
xravisn
xravisn's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=512020