Dumbasses on Cell Phones

Old February 2nd 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Dumbasses on Cell Phones

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> So I'm standing on the corner, waiting for the walk signal to come on.
> A car pulls up on my left, waiting to make a right turn. Despite many
> enormous gaps in the cross traffic coming form the left, this idiot
> just sits there, refusing to make a right turn on red

He didn't "refuse", he "opted" not to. It's R on red "permitted", not
"required".

Finally, when
> the light turns green and the walk signal comes on, this dumbass
> finally decides to make his right turn - and almost runs over my toes
> in the process.
>
> As he passes in front of me, I can see the cellular telephone
> plastered up to his right ear...

This is the same dumbass you're dying to share the highway with at
increased legal velocity.
-----

- gpsman

Old February 2nd 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article . com>, gpsman wrote:
> This is the same dumbass you're dying to share the highway with at
> increased legal velocity.

We already are. There's just no need for the speed to be illegal.

Old February 2nd 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article . com>,
"gpsman" > wrote:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > So I'm standing on the corner, waiting for the walk signal to come on.
> > A car pulls up on my left, waiting to make a right turn. Despite many
> > enormous gaps in the cross traffic coming form the left, this idiot
> > just sits there, refusing to make a right turn on red

> He didn't "refuse", he "opted" not to. It's R on red "permitted", not
> "required".

Whatever. It certainly *isn't* permitted to cut off a pedestrian when
the walk signal comes on.

> Finally, when
> > the light turns green and the walk signal comes on, this dumbass
> > finally decides to make his right turn - and almost runs over my toes
> > in the process.
> >
> > As he passes in front of me, I can see the cellular telephone
> > plastered up to his right ear...

> This is the same dumbass you're dying to share the highway with at
> increased legal velocity.

Nope. I'd dearly love for the cops to enforce the things that really
*are* a problem for road safety, and the distraction of a cell phone is
clearly one of those. "Driving without due care and attention".

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old February 3rd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:39:41 GMT, Alan Baker >
wrote:

>In article . com>,
> "gpsman" > wrote:
>
>> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> > So I'm standing on the corner, waiting for the walk signal to come on.
>> > A car pulls up on my left, waiting to make a right turn. Despite many
>> > enormous gaps in the cross traffic coming form the left, this idiot
>> > just sits there, refusing to make a right turn on red

>> He didn't "refuse", he "opted" not to. It's R on red "permitted", not
>> "required".

>Whatever. It certainly *isn't* permitted to cut off a pedestrian when
>the walk signal comes on.

....unless you have a cell phone to your ear and feel you are any type
of minority group. Then you can flip off The Man (and any others who
happen to be nearby) and yell rude things at them, while almost
hitting them.

If those aren't the rules who do I call to report violators? Only two
this evening.

>> Finally, when
>> > the light turns green and the walk signal comes on, this dumbass
>> > finally decides to make his right turn - and almost runs over my toes
>> > in the process.
>> >
>> > As he passes in front of me, I can see the cellular telephone
>> > plastered up to his right ear...

>> This is the same dumbass you're dying to share the highway with at
>> increased legal velocity.

>Nope. I'd dearly love for the cops to enforce the things that really
>*are* a problem for road safety, and the distraction of a cell phone is
>clearly one of those. "Driving without due care and attention".

One of the aforementioned events happened in front of a California
Highway Patrol, but since it was on a local street I guess it wasn't
his problem.

Maybe I should try some Toronto Style Road Rage instead?

Dave