iRacing Watkins Glen and the Radical

Old December 3rd 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default iRacing Watkins Glen and the Radical

I'm not a huge fan of RC racing (I'm more of an oval hound), but I gotta
tell you...

The quality of the iRacing Watkins Glen track is surpassed by nothing,
possibly even the real thing

And racing the Radical at the iRacing WG track is heaven, even for this
non-RC guy.

I can live with the Solstice (somewhat). I find the skippy barely
interesting. I positively HATE the Mazda. The Radical is the first RC car
to really capture my imagination at all.

Maybe I just need fenders to be happy

I simply don't do well in under-powered cars. Not sure what that means
It was the same for Ovals. Until I got to the trucks, I was a back-marker.
Now I can get top 5's fairly easily.

Larry

Old December 3rd 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

"Larry" > wrote in message
> I'm not a huge fan of RC racing (I'm more of an oval hound), but I gotta
> tell you...
>
> The quality of the iRacing Watkins Glen track is surpassed by nothing,
> possibly even the real thing
>
> And racing the Radical at the iRacing WG track is heaven, even for this
> non-RC guy.
>
> I can live with the Solstice (somewhat). I find the skippy barely
> interesting. I positively HATE the Mazda. The Radical is the first RC
> car to really capture my imagination at all.
>
> Maybe I just need fenders to be happy
>
> I simply don't do well in under-powered cars. Not sure what that means
> It was the same for Ovals. Until I got to the trucks, I was a
> back-marker. Now I can get top 5's fairly easily.
>
> Larry

What they did with The Glen is amazing. I did a little with the Radical on
Saturday and it was fun, but a lot of wrecks. A good track for learning the
Skippy is the infield road course at Lowes. I ran some laps there with a
good RC racer in a practice session to get some lessons and it really helped
a ton.

Ed

Old December 3rd 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

My only issue with the Glen (and Limerock and Summit Point also) is
that they are a year behind on the track surface. All three tracks
have had full repaves (though Summit is coming apart already) and have
no more concrete on them. Not sure what that does for grip (in the
game, I KNOW what it did in RL) but wonder what iRacing intends on
doing about it as they advertise accuracy pretty heavily..

GR

Old December 3rd 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(GaryR) wrote:

> but wonder what iRacing intends on
> doing about it as they advertise accuracy pretty heavily..

I have absolutely no idea how they will ever be able to afford the updates
necessary to keep a large number of tracks accurate. It will be a real challenge to
match their marketing with the reality. Either one or the other will have to give.

Having said that, even an out of date iRacing track may be more of a selling point
to the real racing fraternity than anything any other sim can offer. But I remain
convinced that's a marketing dead end anyway, and the average simmer isn't going to
be too worried about such things as long as everyone's racing on the same surface.

Not that iRacing's particularly interested in the average simmer at the moment...
but they will be, eventually. Whether they like it or not. :->

Andrew McP

PS Although I've been away again from the iRacing zoo for over three weeks now, and
am currently getting my sim kicks at an incredibly realistic (looking) Nordschleife
in rFactor, I must admit I saw a Radical@WG YouTube clip which made me salivate a
little. It looked like quite a lot of fun to drive.

I just don't fancy paying iRacing for months and months in order to climb the
ladder and finally get the opportunity to race the car. I may not enjoy it in
traffic as much as I think, and my reaction times are probably far better suited to
the Skip Barber.
Old December 5th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

I've noted the iracing buzz dropping off in RAS quite noticeably from
quite a few msgs a day when it was opened to the public to its current
level... looks like another group of people has left for the forums ;-)

Cheers, Uwe

Old December 5th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

I don't know, I mean seems like the posts here are cyclical, when new: lots
of posts. iracing is now technically old news (it seems). Plus, the only
debate seems to be that it is too expensive for some, or too many elitists.
hell, the longest threads seem to be over if you thought it was worth it or
not, instead of anything else about it really. both sides get tired of that
issue.

Like testicles, he wants it somehow priced so he can race one race, or else
it seems too expensive? have you gone to any other thing in your life
(except maybe a carnival or 6-flags park type thing) where you got a better
deal only buying tickets for the "rides" you want to ride, compared to the
all day/all ride pass? no.

you still on it, racing Uwe?

e...

Old December 5th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"PlowBoy," > wrote in message

> Like testicles, he wants it somehow priced so he can race one race, or
> else it seems too expensive? have you gone to any other thing in your
> life (except maybe a carnival or 6-flags park type thing) where you got a
> better deal only buying tickets for the "rides" you want to ride, compared
> to the all day/all ride pass? no.

Ok then, why can't I buy x amount of races entries in advance?

Old December 6th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

"David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message

> "PlowBoy," > wrote in message
>

>> Like testicles, he wants it somehow priced so he can race one race, or
>> else it seems too expensive? have you gone to any other thing in your
>> life (except maybe a carnival or 6-flags park type thing) where you got a
>> better deal only buying tickets for the "rides" you want to ride,
>> compared to the all day/all ride pass? no.
>>

> Ok then, why can't I buy x amount of races entries in advance?

Hmmmm.....$156 for a year - I've spent more than that on a night on the
town! And for $156 I get not only a first rate sim but a first rate service.
I also don't need to spend countless hours working out where all the tracks
are or how to make this mod work on this server, etc, etc,
etc.........straight into the racing...........as it should be!

Any experienced simmer should identify with the above mentioned hassles
over the years - iRacing solves all of that. How much is that worth?

Old December 8th 08, 10:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:27:41 -0600, PlowBoy, wrote:

> you still on it, racing Uwe?

my subscription expires at the end of December and I have no plans to
renew at the moment, having too much fun with the Screamers Racing
League and the BMW E21's at the moment ;-)

Uwe