Are cell phones really that dangerous?

Old July 2nd 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Are cell phones really that dangerous?

In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

Old July 3rd 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
bob zee

On Jul 2, 6:35 pm, wrote:
> In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
> phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
> It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
> overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
> any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

the rate of death on the highways has been fairly consistent over the
years. speed limits up, speed limits down. before cell phones and
after cell phones.
hopefully, someone else will be able to answer your question much
better than I did!

bob z.

Old July 3rd 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Jul 2, 5:26 pm, bob zee > wrote:
> On Jul 2, 6:35 pm, wrote:
>
> > In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
> > phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
> > It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
> > overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
> > any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

> the rate of death on the highways has been fairly consistent over the
> years. speed limits up, speed limits down. before cell phones and
> after cell phones.
> hopefully, someone else will be able to answer your question much
> better than I did!
>
> bob z.

Most things that distract drivers are thereby dangerous and many
drivers are dangerous even without distractions.
The major distractions with cell phones are handling the phone and
distraction from the conersation. If you have "hands free," except for
answering it, that takes care of the first. If you can fight without
being distracted, you will be a safe driver for the rest or your short
marriage or life. (Spouse may determine which it is!) If you end up
dead, you would will not be a dangerous driver.

A long time ago an Indy driver pulled into his pit during practice.
His crew-chief asked him what was wrong. The driver said, I thought of
a phone call I had to make."
"Well make the call when you finish [ractice."
"I am finished with practice ...and driving. If I think of a phone
call out on the track, I don't belong there."

He never raced again. How important is your distraction?

Old July 3rd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jul 2, 5:26 pm, bob zee > wrote:
> On Jul 2, 6:35 pm, wrote:
>
> > In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
> > phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
> > It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
> > overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
> > any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

> the rate of death on the highways has been fairly consistent over the
> years. speed limits up, speed limits down. before cell phones and
> after cell phones.
> hopefully, someone else will be able to answer your question much
> better than I did!
>
> bob z.

Must be a drop off in other causes then. I have seen reports of at
least 3 accidents attributed to CP use in the past few weeks.

Harry K

Old July 4th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
> wrote:

>I see a driver on a cell phone, I grab my gun and blow their brains
>through their windshield.

Watch out. Apple's thought of this, and not only is the iPhone
bulletproof, but it projects a Bullet Reflection Field around it when
in use. You might end up shooting yourself.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old July 4th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Jul 3, 7:14 pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:35:28 -0700, wrote:
> >In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
> >phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
> >It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
> >overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
> >any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

> You are asking the same question I have asked many times. You won't
> get any answer because the answer is obvious and not what the people
> in power who want to control you want to hear. Cell phones are not a
> problem. If they were the accident rates would be sky high based on
> the ridiculous claims of the anti-cell phone zealots.
>
> They claim cell phone use is as dangerous as being drunk. In 1990
> virtually no one had cell phones on the road. Now virtually everyone
> has them and millions are using them when driving. So either drunken
> driving is not dangerous and we have been lied to about that all these
> years, or cell phone use is not dangerous and they are lying to us
> about that.

Having a hard-steering column-stick-shift car, I soon gave it up with
mu handheld. The need for it had vanished, too.

Old July 4th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:35:28 -0700, wrote:
>
>>In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
>>phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
>>It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
>>overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
>>any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

> You are asking the same question I have asked many times. You won't
> get any answer because the answer is obvious and not what the people
> in power who want to control you want to hear. Cell phones are not a
> problem. If they were the accident rates would be sky high based on
> the ridiculous claims of the anti-cell phone zealots.
>
> They claim cell phone use is as dangerous as being drunk. In 1990
> virtually no one had cell phones on the road. Now virtually everyone
> has them and millions are using them when driving. So either drunken
> driving is not dangerous and we have been lied to about that all these
> years, or cell phone use is not dangerous and they are lying to us
> about that.

No one is collecting data on accidents where CP use was a factor.
All you are claiming is that since you know of no such accidents,they don't
happen.

Although today's paper had a column on a 18 wheeler who crashed while
trying to charge his CP in the truck.Happened on the Indiana Toll
Road,Elkhart.

Any honest,rational person can see that using a CP while driving is a
distraction that can cause an "accident".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 4th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Studemania > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Jul 3, 7:14 pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:35:28 -0700, wrote:
>> >In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
>> >phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
>> >It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
>> >overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
>> >any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

>> You are asking the same question I have asked many times. You won't
>> get any answer because the answer is obvious and not what the people
>> in power who want to control you want to hear. Cell phones are not a
>> problem. If they were the accident rates would be sky high based on
>> the ridiculous claims of the anti-cell phone zealots.
>>
>> They claim cell phone use is as dangerous as being drunk. In 1990
>> virtually no one had cell phones on the road. Now virtually everyone
>> has them and millions are using them when driving. So either drunken
>> driving is not dangerous and we have been lied to about that all these
>> years, or cell phone use is not dangerous and they are lying to us
>> about that.

> Having a hard-steering column-stick-shift car, I soon gave it up with
> mu handheld. The need for it had vanished, too.

the above is a terrible use of English.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 5th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Jim Yanik wrote:
> Ashton Crusher > wrote in
> :
>

>>On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:35:28 -0700, wrote:
>>

>>>In my mid-sized town of 150k people, everyone is yapping on their cell
>>>phone will driving. However I do not notice any increase in accidents.
>>>It makes we wonder if the dangers of cell phone driving may be
>>>overrated? Perhaps in big city traffic they are dangerous? Are there
>>>any studies on cell phone usage in smaller towns?

>>You are asking the same question I have asked many times. You won't
>>get any answer because the answer is obvious and not what the people
>>in power who want to control you want to hear. Cell phones are not a
>>problem. If they were the accident rates would be sky high based on
>>the ridiculous claims of the anti-cell phone zealots.
>>
>>They claim cell phone use is as dangerous as being drunk. In 1990
>>virtually no one had cell phones on the road. Now virtually everyone
>>has them and millions are using them when driving. So either drunken
>>driving is not dangerous and we have been lied to about that all these
>>years, or cell phone use is not dangerous and they are lying to us
>>about that.
>>

> No one is collecting data on accidents where CP use was a factor.
> All you are claiming is that since you know of no such accidents,they don't
> happen.

Actually, they have started to collect such data in at least one state.
What they are NOT collecting is data on miles driven with a cell phone
(without accidents) so that they can make a valid conclusion.

We've all seen idiot drivers on cell phones, but we've also seen idiot
drivers with no cell phone.

> Although today's paper had a column on a 18 wheeler who crashed while
> trying to charge his CP in the truck.Happened on the Indiana Toll
> Road,Elkhart.
>
> Any honest,rational person can see that using a CP while driving is a
> distraction that can cause an "accident".

Only if a driver allows it to become a distraction.

By the same token, you could cite an example of someone's mind wandering
causing an accident and claim that thoughtsd could also cause an accident.