Drag link boot cover - '01 TJ

Old September 30th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_3_]

Default Drag link boot cover - '01 TJ

Hi All,

I was under my TJ yesterday for a visual check (just precautionary) and noticed that the rubber boot over the end of the drag link has cracked. This is the tyre end (steering knuckle joint). There is clean grease in it, but the boot needs replacing. The FSM talks about taking the whole drag link off, but do I really need to for changing the boot over the joint? Any pointers. I just don't want to pay mega dollars for labour at a shop where the actual part is only a few dollars (i.e. the rubber boot).

BTW, its a RHD Wrangler (I am in New Zealand).

Thanks
TW
---------
'01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/D44
265/75R16 BFG Muds, JKS Quick Discos, OME Lift, 1" MML, 1" BL

Old September 30th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Finding the boot is going to be the tough part. These are normally sold as
part of the steering component in question. There are aftermarket
replacements made, out of red urethane. Try searching for "prothane tie rod
boot" on http://shopping.yahoo.com/ I put a set of these on a Toyota Land
Cruiser. It not only helped with retaining the grease, but they also looked
quite stylish.

If you have good local suppliers, this shouldn't be a problem. If you have
an honest repair shop, the labor should be relatively cheap. I have had
repair people in the U.S. tell me, that the only way they would replace a
ball joint boot, was to replace all four ball joints. Well their kids have
to eat too, but there is a limit.

Earle

Old September 30th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_3_]

Hi Earle,

Thanks for a quick reply, I have also found the boots on Quadratec, who export to NZ (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_61.htm). At this price, I would try the local market on Monday first and see if I can find something similar. Freight from US would kill the price. I will also talk to my regular mechanic and see if he can do a favour and not charge much (normally he is really good).

Thanks
TW
---

Old September 30th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I also have split/lost one off my drag link. I just grease it a lot.

I don't want to take a chance on destroying the joint while trying to
get it apart because the sucker costs big bucks. ($120.00 or more here)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 30th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

I was doing some plumbing repairs the other day and came across
something that might work for a while if you can get the outside of
the boot clean. It's a rubber "tape" that self-cures after you get it
on. Plenty flexible, the layers appear to literally grow together and
conform to the surface. Looks like a potential repair for split boots
as it cures really tough but still flexible. For the couple of bucks
they get for it, it would be worth a try. An imporved duct tape? <g>.

--
Will Honea
Old September 30th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I have a heavy duty version of that stuff called 'splicing tape', but
know the light stuff too. It might do on some, but can you grease the
TJ's joints? If you can't grease them regularly, then I wouldn't use
it.

I wonder what something like crazy glue or that super weather-strip
adhesive or gorilla snot would do on the split. I have extra boots
around, just no easy way of putting them on, but a split and glue
hmm.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 30th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

TW wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was under my TJ yesterday for a visual check (just precautionary)
> and noticed that the rubber boot over the end of the drag link has
> cracked. This is the tyre end (steering knuckle joint). There is
> clean grease in it, but the boot needs replacing. The FSM talks
> about taking the whole drag link off, but do I really need to for
> changing the boot over the joint? Any pointers. I just don't want
> to pay mega dollars for labour at a shop where the actual part is
> only a few dollars (i.e. the rubber boot).

The actual rubber gasket is fairly cheap but you will have to press
the stud out to change it. The rubber boot should be available at
a local auto parts store. Might want to ping Dave Milne, he lives
over on your side of the pond.

Similar to what I did to replace the joint but just clean it up with
some towel and put a new boot on. You would want to squeeze new
grease into the joint to force any contaminants out.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/balljoint1/

Then again, some of the boots on my ZJ have been split for years.
I just squeeze lube into them about twice a year and wipe off the
excess.

--
DougW

Old October 1st 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

We used to use super glue on VW Bug boots. All the after-market
replacement boots were split since removing the axle to get one on was
a major chore. We all used clothespins to hold the edges together
while the glue set up but these were reasonable wide flanges with
mating grooves so the biggest hassle was keeping them ultra clean when
working with them. Last set I put on that way was still intact 5
years later when the poor old bug made its final run to the wrecker.

Just for info, the original yarget use for super glue was for bonding
rubber parts. I think that getting a used, torn boot clean enough
then applying enough pressure durinb cure would be really hard. I
have no idea how this plumbing repair taper would work here but I was
inpressed by the bond to ABS, PVC, and cast iron pipe. I'll probably
play with it next time I need a quick and dirty repair.

--
Will Honea
Old October 1st 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Thanks, that's good to know.

I was even thinking on the new replacement boot getting cut and glued
into place. A plastic zip tie around the top and duct tape to hold it
while it sets up. Still some acetone or even sunlight dish soap should
clean up an old boot. The tree took my boot so I would have to use an
old one.

Mike

Old October 1st 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

As thin as the walls on those knuckle boots is, I would first look at
the obvious "fix". A long strip of inner tube patch, a tube of Monkey
patch glue, and a scraper/snadpaper to roughen the surfaces should
work, then a pair of pliers to squeeze the patch tight. I haven't
tried using a match to melt the patch on lately, but that used to give
a super bond on tractor tubes. Get the patch in place, light the
glue, then blow it out as the edges start to bubble. Press it down
tight as it cools and you'll tear the rubber before it will separate
(a dead blow hammer was standard for "pressing" the bigger ones <g>).

--
Will Honea