How to change outside temp reading from Celcius to Fahrenheit 2001 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6???

Old August 5th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default How to change outside temp reading from Celcius to Fahrenheit 2001 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6???

OK this car used to show the outside temperature in the dash in Fahrenheit,
but after some a/c work it shows it in Celcius now.

How to set it back to Fahrenheit? I believe it must be easy but have
searched the internet and found little to nothing.
I have not messed around with it nor looked around with my vag-com tool.
I will assume that it is in the a/c controls but figured someone can give a
quick informative answer so I don't have to flounder around. <g>

TIA,
One out of many daves

Old August 5th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Aug 5, 11:47*am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> OK this car used to show the outside temperature in the dash in Fahrenheit,
> but after some a/c work it shows it in Celcius now.
>
> How to set it back to Fahrenheit? *I believe it must be easy but have
> searched the internet and found little to nothing.
> I have not messed around with it nor looked around with my vag-com tool.
> I will assume that it is in the a/c controls but figured someone can give a
> quick informative answer so I don't have to flounder around. *<g>
>
> TIA,
> One out of many daves

On our Volvo, that is done via the clock re-set button. Hold it in
long enough and it switches F to C. Twist one way for Hours, the other
for Seconds. Hold again, it will go from 12-hour to 24-hour time.

Might be the same?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old August 5th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Thanks Peter,
I was hoping that it was that easy to do. When I get a chance I will play
with different knobs/switches.

During my research.............I believe on some Audi Climate Controls, I
can do this.........
'To changing degree temperature display, press and hold the recirculation
button. Then press the temperature up ("+") button to switch between degrees
Celsius &amp; Fahrenheit on the climate control temperature and instrument
panel outside temperature displays.'

On some VWs
'VW Climatronic Readouts
1. Hold down "ECON", and press the "up-vent" button (next to recirculation).
Both temperature displays will read 00 or 00'0, and you can release the
buttons once they do.
2. Twist the LEFT temperature knob until the display above reads 19'0.
3. Twist the FAN knob until the left temperature display reads 19'1 (like
19.1).
4. The right temperature display is now a digital speedometer! HOW COOL IS
THAT!!!
--- For tach (in x100), twist the FAN knob until the left temperature
display reads 19'3 (like 19.3)
--- To reset and go back to normal operation, hit the ECON button once.
These are the different settings the Climatronic can display. '

and there are more instructions, but I am not sure if this '01 Golf GTi can
do this.

On a learning mode now! lol
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old August 5th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nutso fasst

"dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote:
> OK this car used to show the outside temperature in the dash in

Fahrenheit,
> but after some a/c work it shows it in Celcius now.
>
> How to set it back to Fahrenheit? I believe it must be easy but have
> searched the internet and found little to nothing.

I found 2 possibles:

2006 GTI: to toggle between reading F and C, "hold down the auto and econ
buttons at the same time."

Passat: "Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the temperature
up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the
Climate Control Temperature and Instrument Panel Outside Temperature
displays."

nf

Old August 5th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Stuart H.

nutso fasst wrote:
> "dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote:
>> OK this car used to show the outside temperature in the dash in

> Fahrenheit,
>> but after some a/c work it shows it in Celcius now.
>>
>> How to set it back to Fahrenheit? I believe it must be easy but have
>> searched the internet and found little to nothing.

> I found 2 possibles:
>
> 2006 GTI: to toggle between reading F and C, "hold down the auto and econ
> buttons at the same time."
>
> Passat: "Press and hold the recirculation button. Then press the temperature
> up ("+") button to switch between degrees Celsius & Fahrenheit on the
> Climate Control Temperature and Instrument Panel Outside Temperature
> displays."
>
> nf

Why not just use Celsius like the rest if the world? (GRIN)

Stuart in Canada
Old August 5th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Uhhh cause some are too lazy to convert it over to Fahrenheit! lol
Geez next you'll want us to use Metric tools repairing cars too! OOPS we
already do! <BG>

newsc0mk.4210$%b7.281@edtnps82...

Old August 5th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

BIG THANKS nutso fasst.
That is what I was looking for exactly, I hope! <G>
Now I need to try this on this '01 car and make sure I can do it. ;-)

I will report back when I find out.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old August 5th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nutso fasst

"Stuart H." wrote:
> Why not just use Celsius like the rest if the world? (GRIN)

That could be dangerous. Temps here reach 119 degrees. If you told folks it
was 48 degrees, they'd put on their winter coats and die of heat stroke.

nf

Old August 6th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In "nutso fasst"
> wrote:

> "Stuart H." wrote:
>> Why not just use Celsius like the rest if the world? (GRIN)

> That could be dangerous. Temps here reach 119 degrees. If you told
> folks it was 48 degrees, they'd put on their winter coats and die of
> heat stroke.

Maybe, but -40 is still -40.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old August 6th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

And the winner is!!!!