VERY Cold Weather

Old July 3rd 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default VERY Cold Weather

Hey, I'm going to be attending college in Fairbanks, Alaska next year,
and I just bought a truck that should handle pretty well in snowy
conditions. For those interested, it is a used 2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab
K1500 4x4 with a little over 70,000 miles. It's also my first vehicle,
and since I'll probably have it for long time, I'd like to make some
modifications (duh!).

What I want to know is, with FREEZING conditions in mind, what engine
modifications should I make, and what shouldn't I make? I already know
I'm going to need an engine preheater of some sort, what exactly I'm
not sure, because it gets at most -20 degrees fahrenheit in the winter,
and can get as cold as -60 degrees

I've heard grill inserts help your engine warm up faster, but I'm not
too confident in the idea; particularly the part where, after the
engine is nice and toasty, how does the insert effect my air intake?

Any suggestions for modifications would be really helpful right now,
and the sooner the better. I leave in less than two months and I would
like to have it all done before I head up.

Thanks in advance!

Old July 3rd 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I have gotten along very well with electrical block warmers.
I also used what we called a 'coupe warmer', which was just
an appropriate electrical heater inside the car. This makes it
a lot more pleasant, helps keep ice and water out of the interior,
and helps keep the doors from freezing up.

It was not so expensive to retrofit this kind of equipment last
time I checked.

Some people swear by synthetic oil, and it is probably a good
measure as well. I used it one one car, but not on the other.
Neither ever gave me problems, but our temperatures were not
usually as cold as what you might experience. It was seldom
lower than -15 to -25C.

Old July 3rd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_4_]

Engine block heater, an interior electrical heater, preferably with a
multi-speed fan [the type that plugs into your cigarette lighter works
well and is moveable, which is good feature]. Lightweight oil in the
crank, say a very good 5w30. Good A/Fmix, fresh, and mixed for the
general temperatures you will drive in. Ranges are usually on the A/F
bottles. Drain and refill [don't flush] trans, transfer case and rear
end with good synthetic oil [if recommended or suggested by manuf.].
Lube all points under car, such as linkages, cable ends, etc. Clean off
the starter and battery contacts well. Insulate the battery. May be a
good idea to also replace the thermostat with a higher temp. rating
than stock. Keep around and use gas line AF, or carb-cleaner to put
into gas tank to help remove moisture from gas system.

Once you are up there, you may want to do more, but by then you should
know some people who may have some suggestions for ya, since they drive
up there daily.

Actually, at -20, most cars don't need that much in the short-term, but
better to get it done than have a no-start condition, ya know?

Good luck in School!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 3rd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Like others have mentioned, a block heater for starts. I think the ones
that fit into a 'frost' plug are the best, but lots of folks like the
ones that go into the rad hose because it is supposed to circulate fluid
better by convection.

A battery blanket (electric blanket) and/or a trickle charger
permanently mounted to the battery to keep the battery warm.

All these can be on a timer set to go off a couple hours before you plan
on leaving. They do draw a lot of power. I found 2 hours on a 350 GM
engine at -40 is about what's needed. Colder, add more time.

I really don't like interior electric heaters. I think they cause too
much condensation which freezes up doors or door trims.

All your door trim rubbers should be sprayed down with silicone spray to
stop them from sticking to the frame. If your door sticks shut and you
yank on the door handle at -45 or colder, it is likely to just snap off
in your hand and the trim will shred. Have seen that happen a few
times....

Keep lock deicer outside the vehicle! They sell small ones that fit
into inside coat pockets. ;-) Having super clean and dry locks seems
to be the best. If anything folks that had to have 'something' in them
only used graphite. Messy, but they didn't seem to freeze up. Best is
to not have anything inside to steal and leave them unlocked.

Lots of folks use a summer and a different winter mix on the antifreeze
because the winter mix might cause overheating in the hot summer traffic
if you go south. The rad blockers help you have interior heat, you just
have to open them as it gets warmer out.

Gear oil is pretty much a solid at -45 and 10W30 oil will come out in a
blob if you squeeze the bottle upside down, then suck back up into the
bottle when you stop squeezing. A standard tranny will go forward in
neutral when you let the clutch out just because the gear oil is so
thick. Synthetics are nice then....

And just because electricity isn't always available, I used to carry
either a cheap hibachi or like my buddy, carried a steel garbage can lid
and charcoal briquettes. You can light up the BBQ, then once the coals
are hot, you slide it under the oil pan. This will warm up the engine
and engine bay amazingly fast and give you a start. You have to watch
where you put it, but after a long day ice fishing or skiing or coming
out from camping, you really want the truck to go.... We would get one
running, all pile in to warm up while the BBQ was doing the next
engine. They get so cold a boost won't even work.

Good luck in College!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Warren Weber[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey, I'm going to be attending college in Fairbanks, Alaska next year,
> and I just bought a truck that should handle pretty well in snowy
> conditions. For those interested, it is a used 2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab
> K1500 4x4 with a little over 70,000 miles. It's also my first vehicle,
> and since I'll probably have it for long time, I'd like to make some
> modifications (duh!).
>
> What I want to know is, with FREEZING conditions in mind, what engine
> modifications should I make, and what shouldn't I make? I already know
> I'm going to need an engine preheater of some sort, what exactly I'm
> not sure, because it gets at most -20 degrees fahrenheit in the winter,
> and can get as cold as -60 degrees
>
> I've heard grill inserts help your engine warm up faster, but I'm not
> too confident in the idea; particularly the part where, after the
> engine is nice and toasty, how does the insert effect my air intake?
>
> Any suggestions for modifications would be really helpful right now,
> and the sooner the better. I leave in less than two months and I would
> like to have it all done before I head up.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I lived for 13 years where low temp was minus 30 F. I used a radiator hose
heater and a battery heater ( this was inserted under battery) Had them on a
timer. 2 hours before going to work. Used 10-30 oil. Drove real slow for
first 1/2 mile to churn up gear boxes oil. Never had a problem. 289 ci
engine. WW

Old July 3rd 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_5_]

Good points, Mike, re door trim and lock deicer!!

And, as Warren said, think of cold fluids at start-up, drive-train
fluids are susceptible to cold, Jeff has mentioned this. The mechanical
premise they are saying, is that, even with warmed engine, non-drive,
the rest of the power train remains very cold. Due to the heavier
viscosities these down-site trasmission and drives use, the thicker
they get. Sort of like moving a spoon into heavy mollasses [ just a
simple analogy, lol].

Do check with folks you meet up there, or even some of our
colder-weather respondents, to get more info. What we all replied was
good.

And again, good luck in school, but I truly wonder why a Fairbanks
University??!!. LOL.

Old July 3rd 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message

> All these can be on a timer set to go off a couple hours before you plan
> on leaving. They do draw a lot of power. I found 2 hours on a 350 GM
> engine at -40 is about what's needed. Colder, add more time.

We had electrical outlets in the parking lots, looking a lot like parking
meters.
We just left them connected all the time.

> I really don't like interior electric heaters. I think they cause too
> much condensation which freezes up doors or door trims.

I know what you mean. Actually, when you get in the car with ice and snow
on
your shoes, there is little way to keep the inside of the car condensation
free. I had
envisioned, at one time, developing an electrolytic dehumidifier, but gave
it up when
I left Norway. I am, by the way, moving back there in a month or two.

Silicone spray on the gaskets of the doors DOES help a lot. My doors,
however,
tended to freeze up internally if I did not use the coupe warmer. I guess
the grease
got stiff, or something.

There were some days when the ice would form on the inside of the windows,
even
with the heater and defroster running. When it is that cold,
dehumidification, or a blowtorch,
is the only relief.

Old July 3rd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pop

Ralf Ballis wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > What I want to know is, with FREEZING conditions in mind,
> > what engine modifications should I make, and what
> > shouldn't I make? I already know I'm going to need an
> > engine preheater of some sort, what exactly I'm not sure,
> > because it gets at most -20 degrees fahrenheit in the
> > winter, and can get as cold as -60 degrees

> The most important task to do is to adjust antifreeze for
> this temperature. You also can insulate your battery by
> polystyrene.

And change to the right viscosity range oil ASAP as you get
there. Up that way, wind chills are the hardest on cars; they
soak every last bit of heat out of an engine in just a couple
hours, so also look for wind protected places to park. Ideally a
garage but ... up against a building is also pretty useful
sometimes. Blankets over the grill etc. are useless - don't even
bother with that kind of thing.

Water jacket and oil heaters are good, in that order, to keep a
car starting. We get almost as cold winters here in far upstate
NY and the heaters are the best. Avoid the dipstick types IF you
have the time & means, and go for the internal elements types.
Make sure the electrical connections are EASY to get at. At
30 below and a windy day, you're going to hate opening the hood
and digging around for the plug. Get one that mounts where you
cna reach it easily and just push an extension cord onto it.
Mine is sort of hidden under the hood/wiper arms area of the car.
Keep an extra cord in the car.

Pop

Old July 3rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pop

wrote:
> Hey, I'm going to be attending college in Fairbanks, Alaska
> next year, and I just bought a truck that should handle
> pretty well in snowy conditions. For those interested, it
> is a used 2000 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab K1500 4x4 with a little
> over 70,000 miles. It's also my first vehicle, and since
> I'll probably have it for long time, I'd like to make some
> modifications (duh!).
>
> What I want to know is, with FREEZING conditions in mind,
> what engine modifications should I make, and what shouldn't
> I make? I already know I'm going to need an engine
> preheater of some sort, what exactly I'm not sure, because
> it gets at most -20 degrees fahrenheit in the winter, and
> can get as cold as -60 degrees
>
> I've heard grill inserts help your engine warm up faster,
> but I'm not too confident in the idea; particularly the
> part where, after the engine is nice and toasty, how does
> the insert effect my air intake?
>
> Any suggestions for modifications would be really helpful
> right now, and the sooner the better. I leave in less than
> two months and I would like to have it all done before I
> head up.
>
> Thanks in advance!

New battery if yours has a couple years on it. Keep the old one
for a spare you can keep warm and charged indoors. High CCA of
course.