6600GT still trouble shooting...

Old May 13th 05, 06:09 PM
Plowboy

Default 6600GT still trouble shooting...

Damn,

am wondering if anyone else has the 6600gt or 6600 with or without
problems? HELP. I am about to be going to send it back I guess, try the
6800?

I have tried 5 or more different drivers so far, each will lock up in RBR
(except the really old drivers on the install CD) the ones from the CD it
just has bad artifacts, really bad...

This thing still will crash/lockup in RBR... by the time I get er to reboot
it Aint hot, Highest I have seen heat wise is 63C from inside the display
properties. The PC is locking tight, looping sound for about 1 minute.
half the time I cant even get out of the screen/game, even ctrl-alt-del
doesn't get me out. Half the time I can. If it lets me out of game I try
any other game (that uses direct x I assume? anyway, the game I tried
after I didn't have to reboot after the crash was, the Flat Out demo) and I
get 'error cannot open display' or screen... However I just installed that
demo last night and ran several 'races' but I see it is 'for NVIDIA's so it
could be not a good one to test with after the crash... However, I think my
11 year old will like that game... its fun but of course not great game...

dunno what to do, Im not usually this easily stumped... I don't want to
mess around too long, you know trying to figure out if it is the card has a
bad something onit, or SW problems.

hopeless cause?

TIA.

Old May 13th 05, 07:01 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Plowboy" > wrote in message
> Damn,
>
> am wondering if anyone else has the 6600gt or 6600 with or without
> problems? HELP. I am about to be going to send it back I guess, try the
> 6800?
>
> I have tried 5 or more different drivers so far, each will lock up in RBR
> (except the really old drivers on the install CD) the ones from the CD it
> just has bad artifacts, really bad...
>
> This thing still will crash/lockup in RBR... by the time I get er to

reboot
> it Aint hot, Highest I have seen heat wise is 63C from inside the display
> properties. The PC is locking tight, looping sound for about 1 minute.
> half the time I cant even get out of the screen/game, even ctrl-alt-del
> doesn't get me out. Half the time I can. If it lets me out of game I try
> any other game (that uses direct x I assume? anyway, the game I tried
> after I didn't have to reboot after the crash was, the Flat Out demo) and

> get 'error cannot open display' or screen... However I just installed

that
> demo last night and ran several 'races' but I see it is 'for NVIDIA's so

it
> could be not a good one to test with after the crash... However, I think

my
> 11 year old will like that game... its fun but of course not great

game...

> dunno what to do, Im not usually this easily stumped... I don't want to
> mess around too long, you know trying to figure out if it is the card has

> bad something onit, or SW problems.
>
> hopeless cause?
>
> TIA.

FWIW, RBR has a habit of doing that to me too - hangs up with looping sound,
and if you wait it'll generally unhang and you can exit the game. Once it
does it, the menus and everything tend to hang up, not just when driving -
the screen even goes a bit dim for a few seconds. No 6600 though; just an
old Ti4400 (56.64 drivers). What sound card are you running? SB Audigy
here (not V2). Might be worth running dxdiag and turning down the HW
acceleration of your sound card. Been a while, but I seem to recall that
helping with my RBR issues.

SB

Old May 13th 05, 09:02 PM
Plowboy

great info steve.

My sound is onbard AC97 chipset or whatever? Ill try sound, funny it never
did this with my TI-4600, so as you might guess I have been assuming that
'the part that you changed..." type of T-Shooting...

I guess i better check for sound drivers though.
I guess I will at last, remove RBR if this keeps up.

wonder, what messes up i fyou uninstall DX9c? and reinstall it. I have the
DX9c Rt distro package, from MS site, it runs in about 2 seconds doesnt
change anything...

Here is another question for anyone (readers).

I have the follwoing games besides RBR & NR03:
Currenlty installed...
BF1942 & COD
Nascar Sim Racin
GPL
GTR (both demo's)
Rfactor latest demo
Netkar99

Some not installed games include ALL NRx's, Nascar Heat, Leadfoot, DTR 1 &
2...

Would Any of these games be testing parts of say DX9, and you know the new
Graffix driver/hardware? stuff better than the apparenlty Buggy RBR?

Maybe the whole thing is RBR?

TIA

Steve Blankenship enlightened us with:
> "Plowboy" > wrote in message

SNIP

Old May 13th 05, 10:46 PM
DC

Plowboy wrote:
> Damn,
>
> am wondering if anyone else has the 6600gt or 6600 with or without
> problems? HELP. I am about to be going to send it back I guess, try the
> 6800?
>
> I have tried 5 or more different drivers so far, each will lock up in RBR
> (except the really old drivers on the install CD) the ones from the CD it
> just has bad artifacts, really bad...
>
> This thing still will crash/lockup in RBR... by the time I get er to reboot
> it Aint hot, Highest I have seen heat wise is 63C from inside the display
> properties. The PC is locking tight, looping sound for about 1 minute.
> half the time I cant even get out of the screen/game, even ctrl-alt-del
> doesn't get me out. Half the time I can. If it lets me out of game I try
> any other game (that uses direct x I assume? anyway, the game I tried
> after I didn't have to reboot after the crash was, the Flat Out demo) and I
> get 'error cannot open display' or screen... However I just installed that
> demo last night and ran several 'races' but I see it is 'for NVIDIA's so it
> could be not a good one to test with after the crash... However, I think my
> 11 year old will like that game... its fun but of course not great game...
>
> dunno what to do, Im not usually this easily stumped... I don't want to
> mess around too long, you know trying to figure out if it is the card has a
> bad something onit, or SW problems.
>
> hopeless cause?
>
> TIA.

I tried a 6800 ultra and had all kinds of problems. Stuttering, lock
ups, nothing worked. Well almost nothing. Found some tweaks in the
various forums (fast writes on/off, agp aperture size, bios tweaks).
Changed the low level 3d and 2d power settings. It got better but for
the money paid for the card it should work out of the box.

What you are experiencing are documented all over the forums. i finally
rma'd the card and now have a x800xt pe. Works like a charm. Good
luck...do some google searches and you will find threads on those cards
and the various problems.

This wasn't a post about who makes the better card just something I have
experienced.

Dave
Old May 14th 05, 03:05 PM
Andi Cole

If you're getting looping sound with game freeze there's two things I
remember from RBR. Firstly try running the game .exe in high priority mode
and secondly try setting the PCI latencey of your sound card to say 64 if
it's 32.

How do you do that I hear you say, well go to
http://www.cole0.plus.com/files/ and have a look at the document "To stop
games stuttering or freeze.doc"

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

Old May 14th 05, 08:31 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Andi Cole" > wrote in message
> If you're getting looping sound with game freeze there's two things I
> remember from RBR. Firstly try running the game .exe in high priority mode
> and secondly try setting the PCI latencey of your sound card to say 64 if
> it's 32.
>
> How do you do that I hear you say, well go to
> http://www.cole0.plus.com/files/ and have a look at the document "To stop
> games stuttering or freeze.doc"
>
> --
> Andi.

Thanks Andi - some interesting discussions around about that PCI latency
tool. Based on those, I dropped my VGA latency setting down from 248 to 64.
Set that way, RBR doesn't lockup anymore, even with HW sound accel on full
(although the sound does still loop occasionally at the end of a stage). No
problems with any other game that I've seen so far.

I'll try upping the sound card latency to 64 as you noted and see what
happens.

SB

Old May 14th 05, 11:47 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Steve Blankenship" > wrote in message

> "Andi Cole" > wrote in message
> > If you're getting looping sound with game freeze there's two things I
> > remember from RBR. Firstly try running the game .exe in high priority

mode
> > and secondly try setting the PCI latencey of your sound card to say 64

if
> > it's 32.
> >
> > How do you do that I hear you say, well go to
> > http://www.cole0.plus.com/files/ and have a look at the document "To

stop
> > games stuttering or freeze.doc"
> >
> > --
> > Andi.

> Thanks Andi - some interesting discussions around about that PCI latency
> tool. Based on those, I dropped my VGA latency setting down from 248 to

64.
> Set that way, RBR doesn't lockup anymore, even with HW sound accel on full
> (although the sound does still loop occasionally at the end of a stage).

No
> problems with any other game that I've seen so far.
>
> I'll try upping the sound card latency to 64 as you noted and see what
> happens.

Spoke too soon - tried it with the sound card on 64 and it hung. Tried some
other settings I'd seen recommended and it kept hanging, though not 100%
predictably. Even back where I thought it was OK. Would expect a heat
issue, but no other games have any problems (or seem to care where I set the
PCI latencies). Guess it's just RBR. Now I remember why it's been a while
since I've driven it... ;-)

How to basicially read OBDll Standardized Diagnostic Trouble codes Steve Honda 0 March 20th 05 06:00 AM
OT - OBD2 Trouble Codes Jeff Strickland Jeep 1 December 29th 04 06:28 AM
trouble codes Ron Jeep 4 December 24th 04 04:19 AM
Diagnostic Trouble codes Oppie Saturn 1 December 6th 04 10:00 PM
Tranny Trouble codes jonnymcfly Saturn 4 July 7th 04 01:41 AM