Snow worthiness of the CRV?

Old December 30th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jim beam

Default Snow worthiness of the CRV?

alfred wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We just got clobbered with snow in New England where I live and I am at the
> point where I don't want to get an Accord anymore and want a 4WD vehicle
> instead. I heard that the 2008/2009 CR-V 4WD is good in the snow and more so
> if the car as better tires like the Blizzaks. Compared to the Jeep Liberty
> the CRV is more reliable from the reports I heard. My questions a
>
> 1. Can the CRV perform in at least 6-8" of snow without being plowed to the
> point where hill climbing is possible with the 4WD model?
>
> 2. Are snow tires needed for snow performance in the the 4WD CRV?
>
> 3. Any other comments that anyone has about the CRV 4WD in terms of
> reliability, ownership satisfaction etc?
>
> Jeep offers a 4WD option to keep the transmission in 4WD all the time where
> CRV does not and Jeep also has hill decent and hill accent controls which
> CRV does not.
>
> Thanks,
> Al

you should buy the jeep alfred. then you can stop wasting our freakin'
time on the honda groups with your inane pointless blathering.

[sorry jeep people, but if you take this drongo out to somewhere
/really/ remote, maybe he can "accidentally" bust an axle and we'll both
enjoy the peace and quiet.]

Old December 30th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

jim beam wrote:
> alfred wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We just got clobbered with snow in New England where I live and I am
>> at the point where I don't want to get an Accord anymore and want a
>> 4WD vehicle instead. I heard that the 2008/2009 CR-V 4WD is good in
>> the snow and more so if the car as better tires like the Blizzaks.
>> Compared to the Jeep Liberty the CRV is more reliable from the
>> reports I heard. My questions a 1. Can the CRV perform in at least 6-8" of snow without being plowed
>> to the point where hill climbing is possible with the 4WD model?

Probably not with a unladen 7.3" ground clearance.

>> 2. Are snow tires needed for snow performance in the the 4WD CRV?

Anything with the proper siping and cut so it clears snow.

>> 3. Any other comments that anyone has about the CRV 4WD in terms of
>> reliability, ownership satisfaction etc?
>>
>> Jeep offers a 4WD option to keep the transmission in 4WD all the
>> time where CRV does not and Jeep also has hill decent and hill
>> accent controls which CRV does not.

electric doodads are no substitute for driver knowlege and skill.
You best google what Full-Time and Part-Time 4wd means.

> you should buy the jeep alfred. then you can stop wasting our
> freakin' time on the honda groups with your inane pointless
> blathering.

Thanks to the power of Usenet every villiage can now share idiots.

> [sorry jeep people, but if you take this drongo out to somewhere
> /really/ remote, maybe he can "accidentally" bust an axle and we'll
> both enjoy the peace and quiet.]

Heh. Sorry, but Jeepers haul out what they haul in. Even if it belongs
in a plastic bucket at the tail end of the group.

Actually for a offroadable car I rather like the Subaru Forester.

The CRV's I have had were horrendously under powered.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old December 30th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

jim beam wrote:
> alfred wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We just got clobbered with snow in New England where I live and I am
>> at the point where I don't want to get an Accord anymore and want a
>> 4WD vehicle instead. I heard that the 2008/2009 CR-V 4WD is good in
>> the snow and more so if the car as better tires like the Blizzaks.
>> Compared to the Jeep Liberty the CRV is more reliable from the reports
>> I heard. My questions a
>>
>> 1. Can the CRV perform in at least 6-8" of snow without being plowed
>> to the point where hill climbing is possible with the 4WD model?
>>
>> 2. Are snow tires needed for snow performance in the the 4WD CRV?
>>
>> 3. Any other comments that anyone has about the CRV 4WD in terms of
>> reliability, ownership satisfaction etc?
>>
>> Jeep offers a 4WD option to keep the transmission in 4WD all the time
>> where CRV does not and Jeep also has hill decent and hill accent
>> controls which CRV does not.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Al
>>

> you should buy the jeep alfred. then you can stop wasting our freakin'
> time on the honda groups with your inane pointless blathering.
>
> [sorry jeep people, but if you take this drongo out to somewhere
> /really/ remote, maybe he can "accidentally" bust an axle and we'll both
> enjoy the peace and quiet.]

Now now. Granted anyone who considers the AWD of the Honda to be a
4wd, may have a few challenges understanding the basic concepts.
Or thinks Blizzacks can match cable chains or even Pirelli studded
winter tires.

Old December 30th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton

Default Cable chains and chain chains and 4WD WAS: Snow worthiness of theCRV?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Lon wrote:

> Or thinks Blizzacks can match cable chains or even Pirelli studded winter
> tires.

Talk to me about cable chains, please. I've no experience with them.

I'm now living in Flagstaff, an import from Connecticut, and I've noticed
shelves of tire chains and cable chains in stores. In CT we got snow,
sleet and freezing rain, the salt trucks came out, the air got warm,
everything turned to slush and there was little reason to chain up.

Here in Flagstaff there was something like 4' of snowfall in a week, the
back roads are packed snow and the snow melt on the main roads turns to
nice smooth ice every night.

Are cable chains worth much as an aid, especially for short-distance,
around town driving?

Would one chain up all four or just the two rears on a Cherokee with the
2WD/Part Time 4WD (no Full Time option) transfer case?

--
"I have never yet encountered a semi-trailer in my bathroom." Jen puts a
bright face on the state of the transit system in AFC-A.

Old December 30th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

> The CRV's I have had were horrendously under powered.

Does it stand for Crappy Road Vehicle?
Old December 30th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Lee Ayrton wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Lon wrote:
>
>> Or thinks Blizzacks can match cable chains or even Pirelli studded
>> winter tires.

> Talk to me about cable chains, please. I've no experience with them.
>
> I'm now living in Flagstaff, an import from Connecticut, and I've
> noticed shelves of tire chains and cable chains in stores. In CT we
> got snow, sleet and freezing rain, the salt trucks came out, the air
> got warm, everything turned to slush and there was little reason to
> chain up.
> Here in Flagstaff there was something like 4' of snowfall in a week,
> the back roads are packed snow and the snow melt on the main roads
> turns to nice smooth ice every night.
>
> Are cable chains worth much as an aid, especially for short-distance,
> around town driving?
>
> Would one chain up all four or just the two rears on a Cherokee with
> the 2WD/Part Time 4WD (no Full Time option) transfer case?

Cable chains are slightly better than nothing and designed for vehicles
that do not have good fender clearance or have other doodads that could
get hit by conventional chains. I use a set on the ZJ because they are
easier to put on and will operate at a slightly higher speed than chains.

Studded snow tires are probably the best thing for daily winter driving.

That being said, they wear much more quickly if ran on dry pavement.

Generally you chain up the drive wheels only, as chains can stop the front
wheels from rotating and give you steering issues. If your going slow
and in part-time then chaining all 4 would be better. If you didn't the
back end might push you around. Haven't had that many miles driving
with chains so someone else will have to fill in that bit.

--
DougW

Old December 30th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>> The CRV's I have had were horrendously under powered.

> Does it stand for Crappy Road Vehicle?

The Devil in me suggests "Clappy Rittre Vehicre".

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old December 31st 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

DougW wrote:

> Lee Ayrton wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Lon wrote:
>>
>>> Or thinks Blizzacks can match cable chains or even Pirelli studded
>>> winter tires.

>> Talk to me about cable chains, please. I've no experience with them.
>>
>> I'm now living in Flagstaff, an import from Connecticut, and I've
>> noticed shelves of tire chains and cable chains in stores. In CT we
>> got snow, sleet and freezing rain, the salt trucks came out, the air
>> got warm, everything turned to slush and there was little reason to
>> chain up.
>> Here in Flagstaff there was something like 4' of snowfall in a week,
>> the back roads are packed snow and the snow melt on the main roads
>> turns to nice smooth ice every night.
>>
>> Are cable chains worth much as an aid, especially for short-distance,
>> around town driving?
>>
>> Would one chain up all four or just the two rears on a Cherokee with
>> the 2WD/Part Time 4WD (no Full Time option) transfer case?

> Cable chains are slightly better than nothing and designed for vehicles
> that do not have good fender clearance or have other doodads that could
> get hit by conventional chains. I use a set on the ZJ because they are
> easier to put on and will operate at a slightly higher speed than chains.
>
> Studded snow tires are probably the best thing for daily winter driving.
>
> That being said, they wear much more quickly if ran on dry pavement.
>
> Generally you chain up the drive wheels only, as chains can stop the front
> wheels from rotating and give you steering issues. If your going slow
> and in part-time then chaining all 4 would be better. If you didn't the
> back end might push you around. Haven't had that many miles driving
> with chains so someone else will have to fill in that bit.

Pretty good summary, Doug. I carry a set for much the same reason as you -
easy and cheap. From some experimenting, never use any traction device on
the front end unless you have the same or better on the rear - regardless
of drive type. Having the front 'grab' better than the rear is pretty much
a guarantee that you'll wind up looking where you've been, not where you're
going.

They do help quite a bit on packed snow, do a fair job on ice. Worthless in
rough country. A spinning wheel suddenly hooks a rock or stump and the
abrupt stop will pull the cable. At worst, it breaks and there you sit but
it will also cut into the tire real fast under sudden loads. Real
expensive.

--
Will Honea

Old December 31st 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
News

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
>> The CRV's I have had were horrendously under powered.

> Does it stand for Crappy Road Vehicle?

Anything driven by a Crappy Nut Behind the Wheel would be...
Old December 31st 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Tooomy[_2_]

"Scott in Baltimore" > wrote in message
>> The CRV's I have had were horrendously under powered.

> Does it stand for Crappy Road Vehicle?

How I laughed

Was it 2008 that US car manufacturers finally gave up trying to make
vehicles ?

no comparison with proper Jap cars is there

Snow worthiness of the CRV? alfred Honda 18 January 1st 09 04:26 PM
Snow run L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_10154_] Auto Photos 2 December 13th 07 02:31 AM
BMW crash worthiness pltrgyst[_1_] BMW 12 September 28th 07 06:31 PM
Snow? XS11E[_1_] Mazda 8 February 1st 07 03:31 PM
Snow! The Merg Jeep 13 January 25th 07 01:06 AM