VA, abusive driver fee for bicyclist going 'too fast'

Old January 14th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default VA, abusive driver fee for bicyclist going 'too fast'

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp

<...>
"Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding
tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Virginia
House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford) said in a July
press conference. "Contrary to what critics and others committed to
unraveling the transportation plan have claimed, there is no such thing
as a $3,000 speeding ticket. There is no $1,000 fee for not using your
turn signal.
<...>
Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
headed back to work after taking a lunch break.

"The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."

A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the architect of the
fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is surprised that a judge would
apply them to a bicyclist.

<...>

Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

Old January 14th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 14, 6:59*am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895
>
> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp
>
> <...>
> "Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding
> tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Virginia
> House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford) said in a July
> press conference. "Contrary to what critics and others committed to
> unraveling the transportation plan have claimed, there is no such thing
> as a $3,000 speeding ticket. There is no $1,000 fee for not using your
> turn signal.
> <...>
> Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
> because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
> Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
> Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
> headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>
> "The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
> WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>
> A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
> or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
> February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the architect of the
> fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is surprised that a judge would
> apply them to a bicyclist.
>
> <...>

> Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

So just what was the citation? How fast in what zone? AFAIK there is
noting in physics that prevents a bicyclist from speeding.

You complain constantly that bicycles should be treated the same as
all other traffic so just what is the problem with one being cited for
speeding?

If it is a question of the ticket beign dubious ("I guessed" his speed
at...) that is different but to bitch about a valid ticket ...

Harry K
Old January 14th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Harry K wrote:
> On Jan 14, 6:59*am, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>> http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895
>>
>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp
>>
>> <...>
>> "Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding
>> tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Virginia
>> House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford) said in a July
>> press conference. "Contrary to what critics and others committed to
>> unraveling the transportation plan have claimed, there is no such thing
>> as a $3,000 speeding ticket. There is no $1,000 fee for not using your
>> turn signal.
>> <...>
>> Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
>> because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
>> Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
>> Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
>> headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>>
>> "The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
>> WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>>
>> A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
>> or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
>> February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the architect of the
>> fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is surprised that a judge would
>> apply them to a bicyclist.
>>
>> <...>

>> Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

> So just what was the citation? How fast in what zone? AFAIK there is
> noting in physics that prevents a bicyclist from speeding.

> You complain constantly that bicycles should be treated the same as
> all other traffic so just what is the problem with one being cited for
> speeding?

> If it is a question of the ticket beign dubious ("I guessed" his speed
> at...) that is different but to bitch about a valid ticket ...

*WOOSH!* as the whole point goes over Harry's head.

It's about the abuser fees, you know the fees that were designed to
punish dangerous drivers. Not bicyclists that cops decided were 'in a
hurry'. The abuser fees were sold as being a tool for government to wield
only against dangerous drivers and we were supposed to trust cops and the
government not to mis-use them. It is absurd that these have been used
against a bicyclist unless of course they were about the revenue all
along.

BTW, Huffy's are low quality bikes, they aren't suitible for speeds over
20mph and I'd be surprised if someone could get one going that fast
without breaking something important first.

Old January 14th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Harry K > wrote in
:

> On Jan 14, 6:59*am, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>> http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895
>>
>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp
>>
>> <...>
>> "Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional
>> speeding tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee
>> legislation," Virginia House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell
>> (R-Stafford) said in a July press conference. "Contrary to what
>> critics and others committed to unraveling the transportation plan
>> have claimed, there is no such thing as a $3,000 speeding ticket.
>> There is no $1,000 fee for not using your turn signal.
>> <...>
>> Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving
>> record because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop
>> Newport News Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he
>> pedaled down Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27.
>> Cornish was headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>>
>> "The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish
>> told WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>>
>> A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the
>> fee or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit
>> court in February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the
>> architect of the fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is
>> surprised that a judge would apply them to a bicyclist.
>>
>> <...>

>> Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

> So just what was the citation? How fast in what zone? AFAIK there is
> noting in physics that prevents a bicyclist from speeding.
>
> You complain constantly that bicycles should be treated the same as
> all other traffic so just what is the problem with one being cited for
> speeding?
>
> If it is a question of the ticket beign dubious ("I guessed" his speed
> at...) that is different but to bitch about a valid ticket ...
>
> Harry K

the article did not provide enough info,IMO.
We really do not know just how he was riding.
I -do- agree that bicycles mixing in faster moving motor vehicle traffic is
a big hazard,and an impediment to good traffic flow.

I think of it as "the hairball in the throat of traffic". 8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 14th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Jim Yanik wrote:
> Harry K > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Jan 14, 6:59*am, (Brent P)
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895
>>>
>>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp
>>>
>>> <...>
>>> "Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional
>>> speeding tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee
>>> legislation," Virginia House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell
>>> (R-Stafford) said in a July press conference. "Contrary to what
>>> critics and others committed to unraveling the transportation plan
>>> have claimed, there is no such thing as a $3,000 speeding ticket.
>>> There is no $1,000 fee for not using your turn signal.
>>> <...>
>>> Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving
>>> record because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop
>>> Newport News Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he
>>> pedaled down Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27.
>>> Cornish was headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>>>
>>> "The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish
>>> told WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>>>
>>> A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the
>>> fee or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit
>>> court in February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the
>>> architect of the fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is
>>> surprised that a judge would apply them to a bicyclist.
>>>
>>> <...>

>>> Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

>> So just what was the citation? How fast in what zone? AFAIK there is
>> noting in physics that prevents a bicyclist from speeding.
>>
>> You complain constantly that bicycles should be treated the same as
>> all other traffic so just what is the problem with one being cited for
>> speeding?
>>
>> If it is a question of the ticket beign dubious ("I guessed" his speed
>> at...) that is different but to bitch about a valid ticket ...
>>
>> Harry K
>>

> the article did not provide enough info,IMO.
> We really do not know just how he was riding.
> I -do- agree that bicycles mixing in faster moving motor vehicle traffic is
> a big hazard,and an impediment to good traffic flow.

Unless he was firing off an AK-47 while riding I don't see what he could
have done that amounts to the abuser fees that were supposed to be for
the worst driving offenders.

Old January 15th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P wrote:
>http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895
>
>http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp
>
><...>
>"Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding
>tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Virginia
>House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford) said in a July
>press conference. "Contrary to what critics and others committed to
>unraveling the transportation plan have claimed, there is no such thing
>as a $3,000 speeding ticket. There is no $1,000 fee for not using your
>turn signal.
><...>
>Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
>because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
>Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
>Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
>headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>
>"The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
>WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>
>A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
>or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
>February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the architect of the
>fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is surprised that a judge would
>apply them to a bicyclist.
>
><...>

>Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

Hey, the citizens of Virginia MUST have wanted this; after all, they
voted for the officials who instituted the policy, right?

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield
Old January 15th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Jan 14, 6:02*pm, "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver
(Hector Goldstein)" > wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
> >http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7606895

> >http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp

> ><...>
> >"Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding
> >tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Virginia
> >House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford) said in a July
> >press conference. "Contrary to what critics and others committed to
> >unraveling the transportation plan have claimed, there is no such thing
> >as a $3,000 speeding ticket. There is no $1,000 fee for not using your
> >turn signal.
> ><...>
> >Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
> >because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
> >Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
> >Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
> >headed back to work after taking a lunch break.

> >"The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
> >WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."

> >A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
> >or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
> >February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the architect of the
> >fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is surprised that a judge would
> >apply them to a bicyclist.

> ><...>

> >------------------------------------------

> >Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

> Hey, the citizens of Virginia MUST have wanted this; after all, they
> voted for the officials who instituted the policy, right?
>
> --
>
> Sarcasm is my sword
> Apathy is my shield- Hide quoted text -

I still can't believe they are putting up with it. I wonder what the
next election will do.

Harry K
Old January 15th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Harry K wrote:
>> Hey, the citizens of Virginia MUST have wanted this; after all, they
>> voted for the officials who instituted the policy, right?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sarcasm is my sword
>> Apathy is my shield- Hide quoted text -

>I still can't believe they are putting up with it. I wonder what the
>next election will do.

My bet is it will be business as usual. It appears to me that we have
a major portion of our society beyond the point where they can learn
from their previous mistakes.

--

Sarcasm is my sword
Apathy is my shield
Old January 15th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Brent P > wrote:
><...>
>Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
>because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
>Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
>Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
>headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>
>"The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
>WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>
>A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
>or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
>February.

Now it's reckless driving to look like you're in a rush... on a
bicycle? One might wonder how the hell that stands up in
court... unless one has actually been to traffic court.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old January 15th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
Harry K > wrote:
>On Jan 14, 6:59=A0am, (Brent P)
>wrote:
>> http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3D7606895
>>
>> http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/21/2170.asp
>>
>> <...>
>> "Safe drivers with only minor traffic infractions or occasional speeding
>> tickets have nothing to fear from the abuser fee legislation," Virginia
>> House of Delegates Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford) said in a July
>> press conference. "Contrary to what critics and others committed to
>> unraveling the transportation plan have claimed, there is no such thing
>> as a $3,000 speeding ticket. There is no $1,000 fee for not using your
>> turn signal.
>> <...>
>> Bicyclist Kajuan Cornish, 19, has not accumulated a bad driving record
>> because he does not own an automobile. That did not stop Newport News
>> Police Officer George Evans for writing up Cornish as he pedaled down
>> Warwick Boulevard near Denbigh Boulevard on December 27. Cornish was
>> headed back to work after taking a lunch break.
>>
>> "The officer who pulled me over said I was going too fast," Cornish told
>> WAVY-TV. "He said it looked like I was in a rush."
>>
>> A judge agreed with Officer Evans and now Cornish must either pay the fee
>> or hire a traffic attorney and fight his case before a circuit court in
>> February. State Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield), the architect of the
>> fees -- and a traffic attorney -- says he is surprised that a judge would
>> apply them to a bicyclist.
>>
>> <...>

>> Another lovely 'tool' law in action.

>So just what was the citation?

Reckless driving.

>How fast in what zone?

Bicyclist looked like he was in a rush. (no speed determined)

result in a fully-depreciated one.