Tail shaft bushing

Old May 2nd 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Gerald K4NHN

Default Tail shaft bushing

Has anyone replaced the tail shaft bushing in a 96 Jeep GC.. Is it hard to
do in the car.
Any special tools needed..

Old May 2nd 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_15_]

"Gerald K4NHN" > wrote in message
news
> Has anyone replaced the tail shaft bushing in a 96 Jeep GC.. Is
> it hard to do in the car.
> Any special tools needed..

You mean the "transfer case tail shaft bushing"? You would have to take the
tail shaft housing off, press the old bushing out, and press the new bushing
in. How do you know, why do you think, it is bad? If it is, the rear drive
shaft front yoke probably is too.

Earle

Old May 2nd 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Gerald K4NHN

Hi Earl
It where the rear drive shaft come out of the transmission. It's a 2 WD.. I
can feel the play in the yoke by moving it up and down and right and left. A
friend has the same Jeep and I can't move it at all..

I have a vibration that I can't find when I let off the gas with no load on
the drive train. In the 50 to 75 mph range and I can hear it when it does
it.. I've replace the front u-joint. It was bad on one plane and good in the
other. The yoke didn't look bad, but I didn't put a mic on it... so..... The
SUV has 275K mostly road miles on it....

I've been told that the bushing can be gotten out with out removing the rear
housing. I'm waiting on the real shop manual to come in to see what it says.
I was told that it can be punched inward and it will slide out. Also that
there was a grove that a small punch will go between the housing and the
bushing to force the bushing inward to relieve the pressure so it will come
out... It's best to try and find out for sure before I start this...

om...

Old May 2nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_15_]

Chances are good that your bad universal joint caused the bushing damage.
If you still have the vibration, then you probably have something else going
on other than the bushing, unless the play you are describing is extreme. I
can't picture punching inward on the bushing to relieve the pressure,
because the transmission output shaft is still there to get in the way.
Installing the new bushing is going to present the same sort of problem.
The best bet is to wait for the shop manual, but many times the extension
housing, the part that the bushing is in, can be removed with the
transmission still in the car. Draining the transmission is probably a good
idea first, but the shop manual will discuss that.

Earle

ink.net...

Old May 2nd 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Gerald K4NHN

The play wasn't extreme, but I could feel and hear it as I moved it back and
forth.
..

Old May 2nd 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_15_]

What really holds that shaft in place, is a ball bearing inside the housing.
The bushing you are talking about is reinforcement for the end of the shaft,
because it sticks out pretty far from the bearing. You can live with a
little play, but that shop manual you ordered should tell you how much is
acceptable. If you can rent, buy or borrow a dial gauge, you can quantify
the play you have.

Earle

Old May 2nd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Satin Fairbush

> Tail shaft bushing

This subject title should be changed somehow, before everyone gets
reported for using foul language.

Old May 2nd 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Gerald K4NHN

I thought that was what it's called...

Old May 2nd 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Satin Fairbush

On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:56:26 +0000, Gerald K4NHN wrote:

> I thought that was what it's called...

Hello Gerald,

My post was a sort of a general one, /not/ targeted at you personally at
all, and for this I apologize.

You see, some folks in Usenet have their own very personal definitions for
things which usually override the dictionaries, encyclopedia and thesauri
of the world -- and they can change at a moment's notice.

And sometimes these same folks are hobbyist abuse-reporters.

My comment was intended to be naught but a humorous flippancy relating to
this sad state of affairs, but alas, sometimes it does actually happen.

Even in this group.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Gerald K4NHN

No offense taken. Us "ole folks" don't know how to think like the younger
crowd.. Don't know it that's good or bad.

> On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:56:26 +0000, Gerald K4NHN wrote:
>
>> I thought that was what it's called...

> Hello Gerald,
>
> My post was a sort of a general one, /not/ targeted at you personally at
> all, and for this I apologize.
>
> You see, some folks in Usenet have their own very personal definitions for
> things which usually override the dictionaries, encyclopedia and thesauri
> of the world -- and they can change at a moment's notice.
>
> And sometimes these same folks are hobbyist abuse-reporters.
>
> My comment was intended to be naught but a humorous flippancy relating to
> this sad state of affairs, but alas, sometimes it does actually happen.
>
> Even in this group.
>
> Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
>

>> "Satin Fairbush" > wrote in message

>>> This subject title should be changed somehow, before everyone gets
>>> reported for using foul language.

Pilot shaft bushing wearing fast and often!! Ervin Charles Jeep 12 August 16th 06 01:53 PM
Tail shaft bearing replacement part 2 Carl Ford Mustang 2 March 8th 06 04:15 AM
LF: k-car bushing bigToe Chrysler 3 November 8th 05 01:38 PM
inner tir rod bushing den630 Dodge 4 June 26th 05 04:56 PM
FS: Tail Lights, 2000-2002 Dodge/Plymouth Euro Tail Lights Abby Normal Dodge 0 March 28th 05 03:57 PM