Brake shoes

Old April 8th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
word9smith

Default Brake shoes

HI,

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The brake shoes on the back are
cracked down the middle. Also, on each side the braking surface on
one shoe is very rough.

Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks
Hal

Old April 8th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader

"word9smith" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> HI,
>
> I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The brake shoes on the back are
> cracked down the middle. Also, on each side the braking surface on
> one shoe is very rough.
>
> Any idea what would cause this?
>
> Thanks
> Hal

Heat.

Driving with the rear shoes adjusted too tight, driving with the Emergency
brake on, or, the rear brakes sticking.

Spdloader

Old April 9th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"Spdloader" > wrote in message

> "word9smith" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > HI,
> >
> > I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The brake shoes on the back are
> > cracked down the middle. Also, on each side the braking surface on
> > one shoe is very rough.
> >
> > Any idea what would cause this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Hal
> >

> Heat.
>
> Driving with the rear shoes adjusted too tight, driving with the Emergency
> brake on, or, the rear brakes sticking.

Add to that a drop of gear lube from a leaking axle seal.

Saludos,

Earle

Old April 9th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Spdloader

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
> "Spdloader" > wrote in message
>>
>> "word9smith" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > HI,
>> >
>> > I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The brake shoes on the back are
>> > cracked down the middle. Also, on each side the braking surface on
>> > one shoe is very rough.
>> >
>> > Any idea what would cause this?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Hal
>> >

>> Heat.
>>
>> Driving with the rear shoes adjusted too tight, driving with the
>> Emergency
>> brake on, or, the rear brakes sticking.
>>

> Add to that a drop of gear lube from a leaking axle seal.
>
> Saludos,
>
> Earle

Yep, that too!

Spdloader

Old April 9th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Or a bit of brake fluid from a leaking cylinder

Earle Horton wrote:
> "Spdloader" > wrote in message

groups.com...

Old April 10th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

Well that is self-repairing. Once you run out of brake fluid, the pressure
on the shoe is released. ;^)

Earle

nk.net...

Old April 10th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Well, I have first hand knowledge that the process can take several
years. In the mean time, you get the excitement of random excursions to
the other lane when you hit the brakes.

Earle Horton wrote:
> Well that is self-repairing. Once you run out of brake fluid, the pressure
> on the shoe is released. ;^)
>
> Earle
>
> "RoyJ" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
>>Or a bit of brake fluid from a leaking cylinder
>>
>>Earle Horton wrote:
>>
>>>"Spdloader" > wrote in message
.. .

> [...]
legroups.com...

Old April 10th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Humidity gets to all my brake shoes usually before I have a chance to
change them.

They swell and then wear weird and crack as they get used and hot.

After my CJ sat for a year being rebuilt, I had to replace all the pads
and shoes. They had less than a year's wear on them...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's