96 GT 4.6 Will not Start

Old June 27th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stepford

Default 96 GT 4.6 Will not Start

I have a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 I went out to run some errands today and
it would not start. I just drove it earlier with no problems. It
cranks over but will not start (like its out of gas)
My mechanic stopped by and took a look at it. He says it might be the
fuel pump or maybe a relay, he asked me if I had the manual and I said
no. When he sprayed some carb cleaner in something on top of the
engine it stated for a few seconds. He said I would need to tow it to
his shop for him to fully check it out. What do you guys think, any
help would be great. Also I'm going to put a couple of gallons of gas
in it just incase my gauge is acting funny. Thanks for any info.
Old June 27th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_6_]

Stepford wrote:
> I have a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 I went out to run some errands today and
> it would not start. I just drove it earlier with no problems. It
> cranks over but will not start (like its out of gas)
> My mechanic stopped by and took a look at it. He says it might be the
> fuel pump or maybe a relay, he asked me if I had the manual and I said
> no. When he sprayed some carb cleaner in something on top of the
> engine it stated for a few seconds. He said I would need to tow it to
> his shop for him to fully check it out. What do you guys think, any
> help would be great. Also I'm going to put a couple of gallons of gas
> in it just incase my gauge is acting funny. Thanks for any info.

Sounds like he's on the right track, when you turn the key to the run
position (not cranking) do you hear the pump humming?
You may as well replace the fuel filter if it's old.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old June 27th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
C. E. White[_2_]

Step One - Push the fuel pump reset button!

Ed

Old June 28th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dudly

in the trunk

Old June 28th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Stepford

On Jun 27, 6:26*pm, "Dudly" > wrote:
> in the trunk
>
> "C. E. White" > wrote in ...
>

> > Step One - Push the fuel pump reset button!

> > Ed
> > "Stepford" > wrote in message
> >>I have a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 I went out to run some errands today and
> >> it would not start. I just drove it earlier with no problems. It
> >> cranks over but will not start (like its out of gas)
> >> My mechanic stopped by and took a look at it. He says it might be the
> >> fuel pump or maybe a relay, he asked me if I had the manual and I said
> >> no. When he sprayed some carb cleaner in something on top of the
> >> engine it stated for a few seconds. He said I would need to tow it to
> >> his shop for him to fully check it out. What do you guys think, any
> >> help would be great. Also I'm going to put a couple of gallons of gas
> >> in it just incase my gauge is acting funny. Thanks for any info.- Hide quoted text -

Where in the trunk?????
Old June 28th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_6_]

Stepford wrote:
> On Jun 27, 6:26 pm, "Dudly" > wrote:
>> in the trunk
>>
>> "C. E. White" > wrote in ...
>>

>>> Step One - Push the fuel pump reset button!
>>> Ed

> Where in the trunk?????

Right behind the drivers side tail light. Mine has an access hole with a
sticker that says "it's right here"
The inertia switch cuts fuel in an accident, someone can also punch your
bumper and trigger it.
--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old June 28th 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

"Stepford" > wrote in message
On Jun 27, 6:26 pm, "Dudly" > wrote:
> in the trunk
>
> "C. E. White" > wrote in
>

> > Step One - Push the fuel pump reset button!

> > Ed
> > "Stepford" > wrote in message
> >>I have a 1996 Mustang GT 4.6 I went out to run some errands today and
> >> it would not start. I just drove it earlier with no problems. It
> >> cranks over but will not start (like its out of gas)
> >> My mechanic stopped by and took a look at it. He says it might be the
> >> fuel pump or maybe a relay, he asked me if I had the manual and I said
> >> no. When he sprayed some carb cleaner in something on top of the
> >> engine it stated for a few seconds. He said I would need to tow it to
> >> his shop for him to fully check it out. What do you guys think, any
> >> help would be great. Also I'm going to put a couple of gallons of gas
> >> in it just incase my gauge is acting funny. Thanks for any info.- Hide
> >> quoted text -

Where in the trunk?????