Oil question What the manual says, vs. what Dad says.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19th 04, 12:50 AM
Kirk Kohnen

Aw. I'm sorry. I set you up.

On the IONs, the battery is already in the trunk...

By the way, do you know where I can get any power steering fluid for my
IONs?

"Mark" > wrote in message
m...
> "Kirk Kohnen" > wrote in message
>> If I want to do that with my ION, will I have to relocate the battery to
>> the
>> trunk?
>>

> Possibly. One of the guys from the www.bobistheoilfilter.com
> newsgroup removed the bumper off his truck and installed one in the
> front of the car. He said it only took 15 minutes to remove and he
> had enough room for BP filters for the engine and transmission. You
> might feel safer to put a bypass filter on the battery mount. You can
> buy relocation kits from Ebay and they are cheaper. Most of those
> have a 20' positive battery cable and a 3' ground cable. I would buy
> an additional cable for the ground. That way installation is alot
> easier and you can attach the negative cable to the fuse box (where
> the battery cable is attached). My brother-in-law, who is a certified
> Saturn mechanic & put in the second engine, said not to use the
> shorter ground because the chassis electrical connection from the
> trunk isn't as clean. Not sure if this is true or not but with 2 20'
> cables you can easily remove the setup in a couple of minutes. Also
> get at least 4 gauge, 2 gauge is preferrable but anything larger may
> make it harder when drilling the two holes in the side of the trunk
> (see below)
>
> The battery relocation was fun. It took a good part of a Saturday
> afternoon during college summer break. You need a large drill bit or
> dremel bit > 1" because the battery cables are pretty thick. Find the
> place where the trunk sheet metal meets the outside and drill there.
> Use rubber grommets for the holes where the cables are routed through
> the trunk - they should be large enough to fit over the battery
> terminals and the plastic insulation stuff I mention below. The sheet
> metal in the side of the trunk a foot away from the gas cap is only
> 1/8" thick on the Saturn. This is the one metal corner that might cut
> into the cable (and short positive to negative). You don't want this
> (lots of sparks!!) so you want the rubber grommets. Be careful with
> these holes; measure the outside diameter of the middle of the rubber
> grommet and match the hole diameter as close as possible. If you have
> a drill bit large enough this is the best solution. Put the rubber
> grommet on the cable before you pull the cable through the hole. You
> need to be careful to strap the cables away from suspension parts. I
> used lots of twist ties and attached a few clamps to the frame under
> the doors. I also used that plastic battery cable wrap stuff that I
> got from Meijers - forget what it is called. You need it because it
> helps protect the cable insulation. Wrap this stuff for the entire
> length of the cable minus the cable ends. It comes in different
> colors and I wrapped the positive cable in red and the 20' ground
> cable in black plastic. If your battery is a side mount terminal you
> [...]

re-posting manual trans question 93 325i Chris D'Agnolo BMW 0 November 26th 04 03:18 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM
Shop manual price Black Bomb Corvette 1 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM