Radial Ride Rough on 71 AMC Matador

Old January 1st 14, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

Default Radial Ride Rough on 71 AMC Matador

On 2013-12-31, sctvguy1 > wrote:
> Got a set of Primewell Radials, sized 195R-14 for my 71 AMC Matador, and
> brother, does it ride rough!

Probably the tires. I have a set of Goodyear radials on a '71 Ambassador
(essentially the same car) and it rides just fine. Also running radials
on my Hornet and other Rambler/AMC vehicles. Various brands of radials
in use with no problems, even on the old Rambler models with trunnion
suspension.

I did convert the Ambassador to 15" rims though as the large 14" tire
sizes were getting scarce and pricey, and a few years ago rebuilt the
front suspension with all new ball joints and bushings..

The NSA by its actions has shredded the 4th Amendment of the Constitution
and has essentially declared war on the American people. Put the NSA leaders
on trial for treason, and upon being found guilty, publicly execute them to
send a strong message. God bless Ed Snowden! Death to NSA thugs!
Old January 1st 14, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 02:25:38 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
> wrote:

>On 2013-12-31, sctvguy1 > wrote:
>> Got a set of Primewell Radials, sized 195R-14 for my 71 AMC Matador, and
>> brother, does it ride rough!

>Probably the tires. I have a set of Goodyear radials on a '71 Ambassador
>(essentially the same car) and it rides just fine. Also running radials
>on my Hornet and other Rambler/AMC vehicles. Various brands of radials
>in use with no problems, even on the old Rambler models with trunnion
>suspension.
>
>I did convert the Ambassador to 15" rims though as the large 14" tire
>sizes were getting scarce and pricey, and a few years ago rebuilt the
>front suspension with all new ball joints and bushings..

I just put $50 apiece radial tires from Discount on my 60 Dodge and
they run smooth as glass. Much better then the 22 year old radials
that were on it. Hancock (sp?) brand IIRC.
Old January 5th 14, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 1/1/2014 11:07 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 02:25:38 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2013-12-31, sctvguy1 > wrote:
>>> Got a set of Primewell Radials, sized 195R-14 for my 71 AMC Matador, and
>>> brother, does it ride rough!

>> Probably the tires. I have a set of Goodyear radials on a '71 Ambassador
>> (essentially the same car) and it rides just fine. Also running radials
>> on my Hornet and other Rambler/AMC vehicles. Various brands of radials
>> in use with no problems, even on the old Rambler models with trunnion
>> suspension.
>>
>> I did convert the Ambassador to 15" rims though as the large 14" tire
>> sizes were getting scarce and pricey, and a few years ago rebuilt the
>> front suspension with all new ball joints and bushings..

> I just put $50 apiece radial tires from Discount on my 60 Dodge and
> they run smooth as glass. Much better then the 22 year old radials
> that were on it. Hancock (sp?) brand IIRC.

Most likely Hankook: <http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Main/default.aspx>

Their tires used to be awful (had them on a Renault 11 I bought used in
1993, and wet traction was miserable), but I expect along with the rest
of the South Korean automotive industry their products to have improved
considerably over the last two decades.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old January 12th 14, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/05/2014 05:03 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 1/1/2014 11:07 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 02:25:38 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
>> > wrote:

>>> Probably the tires. I have a set of Goodyear radials on a '71 Ambassador
>>> (essentially the same car) and it rides just fine. Also running radials
>>> on my Hornet and other Rambler/AMC vehicles. Various brands of radials
>>> in use with no problems, even on the old Rambler models with trunnion
>>> suspension.
>>>
>>> I did convert the Ambassador to 15" rims though as the large 14" tire
>>> sizes were getting scarce and pricey, and a few years ago rebuilt the
>>> front suspension with all new ball joints and bushings..

>> I just put $50 apiece radial tires from Discount on my 60 Dodge and
>> they run smooth as glass. Much better then the 22 year old radials
>> that were on it. Hancock (sp?) brand IIRC.
>>

> Most likely Hankook: <http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Main/default.aspx>
>
> Their tires used to be awful (had them on a Renault 11 I bought used in
> 1993, and wet traction was miserable), but I expect along with the rest
> of the South Korean automotive industry their products to have improved
> considerably over the last two decades.

They have. I too remember buying an old car with Hankooks on it circa
1996 and replaced them toot sweet. Today they have several models that
are popular for autocross and road racing.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel