Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice.

Old May 24th 04, 08:51 PM
SteveH

Pete > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:46:54 +0100, MeatballTurbo
> >, wrote:
>
> >Thanks. I'm being drawn towards a narrow bodied 155, with a 75 as an
> >option if one turns up that smells right (you now what I mean).

> There's nothing like the smell of 100 octane :-)

Castrol R 2-stroke oil, surely? ;-)

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 24th 04, 10:25 PM
Catman

SteveH wrote:

> Pete > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:46:54 +0100, MeatballTurbo
>> >, wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks. I'm being drawn towards a narrow bodied 155, with a 75 as an
>> >option if one turns up that smells right (you now what I mean).

>> There's nothing like the smell of 100 octane :-)

> Castrol R 2-stroke oil, surely? ;-)

ewwwwwww
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 25th 04, 12:41 PM
SteveH

MeatballTurbo > wrote:

> In article > ,
> says...
> > Most early 155s in red are now distinctly pink, plus it didn't seem to
> > be a particularly common colour anyway. The platinum metallic is
> > stunning, but I also quite like my silver - it's better than the white
> > on my 75. [1]
> >

> Do they T cut up?

You can try, but my experience says it's a short-term fix.

> There was a 75 listed on Autotrader up in Preston for Ł895 (trader
> selling for a customer) in red. Paint looked good, but all the pictures
> were only of one side of the car, so don't know what the other side was
> like.

Red 75s don't seem to fade like the 155 does. I think there was a very
iffy batch of red went through between 1992 - 1995, as Cinqs. suffered
the same, but later ones from 1996 on were a slightly better shade of
red which didn't fade.

> BTW, do you get two din slots in a 155 or a 164?

You could probably do it in a 155 - there's a fair bit of room around
the radio slot. Pretty sure you wouldn't do it in a 164, though.

> Having driven a Saab 9000 I know they are shorter than a 900, and the
> same platform as a 164. I keep seeing pics of the 164 V6 engine bay, and
> even though I know I should steer well clear to avoid temptation, I
> can't help lusting after one. Especially when I see a black leather
> interior, it's just the dash layout that puts me off. Must concentrate
> on the dash layout.

V6s are lovely cars, but expensive to maintain. Cambelts are a pig of a
job to do, although not needed all that often. However, it's very
cramped in there to do any work. Avoid models with aircon, especially if
they've done over 130k miles, as the aircon pump may seize up - a new
one is about Ł800 plus fitting. (I scored a lucky find for a friend -
Ł50 used, which saved the car from the crusher)

> Damn. I wanted to save fuel. Keep thinking, Hmm, if I'm going to get a
> 164 V6, I might as well hold on for a 9000 Carlsson 2.3 or Aero. I'm
> getting confused now.
>
> BTW, do leather seats from any other models fit into a 155 narrowbody.

Probably only seats from another narrowbody - although there's a lot of
shared bits with the later cars, plus a lot of Fiat stuff on the same
platform (Coupe, Tipo, Tempra, Bravo/a, Marea, even the 156), so I
couldn't give a definitive answer.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old May 25th 04, 02:41 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, am
says...

> > From: MeatballTurbo >
> > Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> > Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:03:03 +0100
> > Subject: Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice.
> >
> > In article >,
am
www.alfaowner.com.

> > ah excellent. Just the kind of place I was looking for.
> >
> > I shall have a peruse, and be back with more questions later.
> > --
> > The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
> > http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

> forgot too mention the 33 as well. That's probably right up your alley,
> although they too are getting a bit thin on the ground.

I've thought about that, and as you say, getting rare, and with rarity
comes price increases.

Will bear it in mind when looking.

Signed up for Alfaowner BTW, very good site, very helpful, and friendly.
Old May 25th 04, 03:56 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: MeatballTurbo >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:41:56 +0100
> Subject: Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice.
>
> In article >, am
> says...
>>

>>> From: MeatballTurbo >
>>> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
>>> Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:03:03 +0100
>>> Subject: Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice.
>>>
>>> In article >,
am
>>> says...
www.alfaowner.com.

>>> ah excellent. Just the kind of place I was looking for.
>>>
>>> I shall have a peruse, and be back with more questions later.
>>> --
>>> The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
>>> http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

>> forgot too mention the 33 as well. That's probably right up your alley,
>> although they too are getting a bit thin on the ground.
>>

> I've thought about that, and as you say, getting rare, and with rarity
> comes price increases.
>
> Will bear it in mind when looking.
>
> Signed up for Alfaowner BTW, very good site, very helpful, and friendly.
> --

yeah saw your post about the Skoda Estelle engine bay oil incident

Old May 25th 04, 06:34 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, am
spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...

> > From: MeatballTurbo >
> > Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> > Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:41:56 +0100
> > Subject: Considering an alfa as my next car. Need advice.
> >
> > In article >,
am
> > says...

am
www.alfaowner.com.

> >> forgot too mention the 33 as well. That's probably right up your alley,
> >> although they too are getting a bit thin on the ground.
> >>

> > I've thought about that, and as you say, getting rare, and with rarity
> > comes price increases.
> >
> > Will bear it in mind when looking.
> >
> > Signed up for Alfaowner BTW, very good site, very helpful, and friendly.
> > --

> yeah saw your post about the Skoda Estelle engine bay oil incident

Yeah. Was a little messy. I know what the other poster was on about.

Not that much oil, just everywhere, and burnt
--
Carl Robson