205/40/16 or 205/45/16 tire size?

Old December 20th 05, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 205/40/16 or 205/45/16 tire size?

If you had 16X7 wheels on your miata, would you go with 205/40/16 or
205/45/16's?

Any opinions are appreciated, it is almost time for new tires and
brakes. I currently have 205/40/16's mounted.

Thanks!

Pat
Old December 20th 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Pat -

Having 16x7.5s on my Miata, I am running 45s. Plans are to "grow"
into 215/40R16s once I install the U3...

However, the real questions would be (a) primary use/driving style,
(b) road conditions, (c) brand preference vs size availability and (d)
are you happy with the 40s you are currently running?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:23:35 GMT, pws > wrote:

>If you had 16X7 wheels on your miata, would you go with 205/40/16 or
>205/45/16's?
>
>Any opinions are appreciated, it is almost time for new tires and
>brakes. I currently have 205/40/16's mounted.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Pat

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old December 22nd 05, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

L Bader wrote:
> Pat -
>
> Having 16x7.5s on my Miata, I am running 45s. Plans are to "grow"
> into 215/40R16s once I install the U3...
>
> However, the real questions would be (a) primary use/driving style,

Daily driver, only (working) car, slightly aggressive driving style, but
usually well below limits, and not used on a track at this point, though
the car is completely set up for it.

> (b) road conditions,

Mostly good roads, there is not a big problem with potholes in the parts
of Austin that I usually drive. I have hit one hard that had me worried,
but the wheel is still straight and true.

(c) brand preference vs size availability and

There seems to be a tire that makes me happy in whatever size I am
looking for. The only type of tire that I buy are summer performance
tires, since, after all, we are supposed to reach temps of over 70
degrees on Christmas day.

(d)
> are you happy with the 40s you are currently running?

The car is actually pretty comfortable, it has the FM coil-overs with
KYB shocks set on the second to softest setting, but it is definitely
harsher than my last car with Koni shocks, stock springs and 15 inch
wheels with the higher profile 195/50's.
I will probably try the 205/45/16's this time and see if I like them better.

Thanks!

Pat
Old December 22nd 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Pat -

I'm running 205/45R16 Toyo T1-Rs, with the FM springs, rear shock
tower mounts and KYBs set at 5 in front and 4 in the rear. -- Mine is
a quasi-daily driver in San Antonio. (The roads down hear are about
the same as Austin, but sometimes a tad worse...)

The ride is firm, but not abusive. (Though speed bumps/humps can be a
challenge...)

Merry Ho-Ho!

- L

Old December 23rd 05, 07:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

L Bader wrote:
> Pat -
>
> I'm running 205/45R16 Toyo T1-Rs, with the FM springs, rear shock
> tower mounts and KYBs set at 5 in front and 4 in the rear. -- Mine is
> a quasi-daily driver in San Antonio. (The roads down hear are about
> the same as Austin, but sometimes a tad worse...)
>
> The ride is firm, but not abusive. (Though speed bumps/humps can be a
> challenge...)
>
> Merry Ho-Ho!
>
> - L

I think that I will order a set of the 205/45/16 Toyo's for this next
round. They have a softer sidewall than the Sumitomo crapola tires that
I have on now. That, combined with a bit higher profile is likely to add
to comfort by a decent amount. They may flex a bit more, but they will
grip SO much better than before.

The Toyo is also a lightweight tire, so it will be a very lightweight
16" wheel/tire package going on with the SSR/Toyo combination.

Pat
Old December 23rd 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 07:55:46 GMT, pws > wrote:

>L Bader wrote:
>> Pat -
>>
>> I'm running 205/45R16 Toyo T1-Rs, with the FM springs, rear shock
>> tower mounts and KYBs set at 5 in front and 4 in the rear. -- Mine is
>> a quasi-daily driver in San Antonio. (The roads down hear are about
>> the same as Austin, but sometimes a tad worse...)
>>
>> The ride is firm, but not abusive. (Though speed bumps/humps can be a
>> challenge...)
>>
>> Merry Ho-Ho!
>>
>> - L

>I think that I will order a set of the 205/45/16 Toyo's for this next
>round. They have a softer sidewall than the Sumitomo crapola tires that
>I have on now. That, combined with a bit higher profile is likely to add
>to comfort by a decent amount. They may flex a bit more, but they will
>grip SO much better than before.
>
>The Toyo is also a lightweight tire, so it will be a very lightweight
>16" wheel/tire package going on with the SSR/Toyo combination.

Pat -

It sounds like you have a solution...

Happy Motoring!

(...and Merry Christmas!)

Old December 23rd 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

L Bader wrote:

> Pat -
>
> It sounds like you have a solution...
>
> Happy Motoring!
>
> (...and Merry Christmas!)

Yep, the only problem is the price. I miss the good old days of $60.00
specials on excellent 195/50/15's. That price really starts going up
with each inch.
Oh well, the price you pay to play.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to you and all of the other
miscreants on this board as well! ;-)

Pat

Help interpreting weird Goodyear tire size? JHD Technology 4 December 25th 05 09:21 AM
Tire advice and outcome edward ohare Driving 6 December 9th 05 09:07 PM
'06 Mustang tire size David Buschhorn Ford Mustang 3 November 13th 05 03:55 PM
Tire size ideas? Mac VW air cooled 2 June 21st 05 02:33 AM
Question: Tire size for 15x8 rims, stock gears, mpg differences [email protected] Jeep 7 May 3rd 05 02:04 PM