leaking brake fluid reservior

Old December 19th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default leaking brake fluid reservior

'95 triple black
After recently having a heater hose blow out on me I have been extremely
sensitive to smells from my engine. After the heater hose was repair I
still thought that I smelled something... At first I thought it was perhaps
burn off from the antifreeze sprayed on the engine from the failed hose.
But it lingered and so I decided to stared at my engine for a while and
discovered a drip from the brake fluid reservoir. The fluid hits the
plastic shroud below the brake fluid reservoir it and then drips onto the
manifold. The brake fluid is above the full line and I am not sure exactly
where the drip is coming from. Perhaps when accelerating or breaking it is
simply leaking out the seal at the lid since it is so full. Has anyone
heard of this before? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot such a leak?
Many thanks!

Old December 19th 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

You already did a pretty good job of troubleshooting!

Wipe it down nice and dry so you can see where the leak starts from. You can
use something like an eyedropper to remove fluid to get it under the full
line.

Old December 20th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

If being overfull is not the cause. The plastic tank to metal seal at the
bottom of the tank can leak. This may mean a new O ring, or a new plastic
tank.

ink.net...

Old December 20th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

thanks guys. i will take out the excess fluid (eyedropper is a great
suggestion) and check for leaks at the bottom seal at the bottom of the
reservoir (would never thought of that). i have a suspicion that the sloppy
mechanic that replaced the heater hose leaned on the reservoir during the
repair and probably damaged the seal at the bottom.
thanks again!

Old December 21st 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

a simple straw will work ok to lower the level if an eye dropper is
unavailable. My guess is that the overfilling is the problem but let us
know.

Chris

Old December 21st 05, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in

> thanks guys. i will take out the excess fluid (eyedropper is a
> great suggestion) and check for leaks at the bottom seal at the
> bottom of the reservoir (would never thought of that).

Turkey baster works much better. Be careful, brake fluid will remove
paint very quickly, you won't have time to wipe up a spot before the
paint is damaged.

Old December 21st 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote in message

> Turkey baster works much better.

And will even remove excess oil from cases.

"XS650SH"

Old December 21st 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"miker" > wrote in
ink.net:

> XS11E > wrote in message
>
>> Turkey baster works much better.

> And will even remove excess oil from cases.

And, if you REALLY want to experiment, it will baste a turkey but
that's off topic.
Old December 22nd 05, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote:

>"miker" > wrote in
link.net:

>> XS11E > wrote in message
>>
>>> Turkey baster works much better.

>> And will even remove excess oil from cases.

>And, if you REALLY want to experiment, it will baste a turkey but
>that's off topic.

What? Your mother in law came over on Thanksgiving? Did she
notice a funny taste?

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)