170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

Old November 25th 05, 08:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

Over the years, Mazda has been well known for making overstated claims
about the amount of horsepower produced by its Miata engines. I'm
wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they claim. I
would like to hear from mechanically knowledgeable people on this
subject. Thanks for any info.

Googleheimlich

Old November 26th 05, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

The new Miata will STILL have far less power than a Corvette and STILL get
worse gas mileage. The original thought of making a modern Lotus Elan sure
was flushed down the toilet early in the history of this car.

KG

oups.com...

Old November 26th 05, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"kgruber" > wrote:

>The new Miata will STILL have far less power than a Corvette and STILL get
>worse gas mileage. The original thought of making a modern Lotus Elan sure
>was flushed down the toilet early in the history of this car.

Feeling a little bitter about something?

That's surely the stupidest comparison I've ever heard. The car was never
intended to compete with something like a Corvette in the power department.

And it doesn't get worse mileage than a Corvette, if that's what you're
implying. I have one of each, and the MX-5's mileage is much better.

--
Craig Wagner, craig(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com
Portland, OR

"Don't ban high-performance vehicles, ban low-performance drivers!"
Old November 26th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"kgruber" > wrote:

>The new Miata will STILL have far less power than a Corvette and STILL get
>worse gas mileage. The original thought of making a modern Lotus Elan sure
>was flushed down the toilet early in the history of this car.

I assume this is a troll, rather than ill-informed. The M1 Miata was
a quite close copy of the Elan in performance, with almost the same power,
top speed, and gas consumption. The newer Miatas are significantly faster.

Neither the Elan or the Miata was ever intended to compete with a big engine
piece of American junk like the Corvette. It is ludicrous to suggest so.

EPA estimated mileage of the Miata is 23/30. Claimed EPA mileage of the
Corvette is 18/28; the 28 is probably wrong, since it seems to be taken
straight from the coupe version without correcting for the fact that the
convertible has more drag. Of course, to get those numbers you are not
using that big 6.0 l engine at all. So, why have it?

Leon

>KG
>

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Over the years, Mazda has been well known for making overstated claims
>> about the amount of horsepower produced by its Miata engines. I'm
>> wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they claim. I
>> would like to hear from mechanically knowledgeable people on this
>> subject. Thanks for any info.
>>
>> Googleheimlich

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 26th 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> ...... I'm wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they
> claim.....

The current issue of Sport Compact Car (I know I know its not the kind of
rag a Miata guy should be reading, but I couldn't resist the cover promising
a "Miata Megatest.") includes a side by side comparison of the new 2006
Miata with the 2005 Mazdaspeed and of course a project car the editors have
done all sorts of stuff to. Anyway, the tests include horsepower at the
wheels with the following results: Project Miata = 187 HP, 2005 Mazdaspeed
= 152 HP, and 2006 Mazda MX-5 = 134 HP. The editors wonder a lot about the
lower number for the 2006, but claim it had something to do with ambient
conditions at the time of the test and the engine control unit retarding
timing to protect the engine.

Gus (91 BRG)

Old November 26th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"kgruber" > wrote in
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll