Noise from under car

Old September 14th 05, 07:48 PM
Gary

Default Noise from under car

Hi All,

I have a noise comming from under my car when i change down a gear or
freewheeling (no foot on gas pedal), sounds like a rattle. It goes away when
driving normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gaz

Old September 14th 05, 09:30 PM
Iva

Gary wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a noise comming from under my car when i change down a gear or
> freewheeling (no foot on gas pedal), sounds like a rattle. It goes away

when
> driving normally.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gaz

Sounds like you've got a loose heatshield on your exhaust. It's a very
common problem. Usually putting a c-clamp on it will take care of it. You
can probably find more out on this question in the garage section of
www.miata.net

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old September 14th 05, 10:55 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >, "Iva" .>
wrote:

> Sounds like you've got a loose heatshield on your exhaust. It's a very
> common problem. Usually putting a c-clamp on it will take care of it.

A hose clamp might stay on longer... :-)

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 15th 05, 03:19 AM

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >, "Iva" .>
> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you've got a loose heatshield on your exhaust. It's a very
> > common problem. Usually putting a c-clamp on it will take care of it.

> A hose clamp might stay on longer... :-)
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

All those c-clamps always end up in the road...

Old September 15th 05, 04:22 AM
Gus

"Gary" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a noise comming from under my car when i change down a gear or
> freewheeling (no foot on gas pedal), sounds like a rattle. It goes away
> when driving normally.
>
> Any ideas?

Might be that you need a little grease between the end of the piston from
the slave cylinder and the fork that actuates the clutch.

Gus (91 BRG)

Old September 15th 05, 06:37 AM
XS11E

"Gary" > wrote in:

> I have a noise comming from under my car when i change down a gear or
> freewheeling (no foot on gas pedal), sounds like a rattle. It goes away
> when driving normally.

That pedestrian you hit trying to attract your attention? ;-)

Old September 15th 05, 03:49 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-15, Scott Streeter > wrote:
> writes:
>
>> Lanny Chambers wrote:

>> > A hose clamp might stay on longer... :-)
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Lanny Chambers
>> > '94C, St. Louis

>> All those c-clamps always end up in the road...
>>

> Just rip off the heat sheild..... Less weight

Remember to avoid parking over piles of dead, dried leaves...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! YOU'D cry too if it
at happened to YOU!!
Old September 15th 05, 04:58 PM
junktin

Iva wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have a noise comming from under my car when i change down a gear or
>>freewheeling (no foot on gas pedal), sounds like a rattle. It goes away

> when
>
>>driving normally.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Gaz

> Sounds like you've got a loose heatshield on your exhaust. It's a very
> common problem. Usually putting a c-clamp on it will take care of it. You
> can probably find more out on this question in the garage section of
> www.miata.net
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

I had the the same sort of rattle (only in a very narrow rpm range) in
my 2000. Turned out something had gotten loose INSIDE the catalytic
converter and because there is a very long warranty on emissions
components they replaced the cat converter for free. Noise has gone away.

Dave