acetone in gas - no uninformed skeptics allowed

Old September 9th 05, 08:14 PM
josh

Default acetone in gas - no uninformed skeptics allowed

Does anyone have ACTUAL FIRST-HAND experience with the 0.2-0.3oz/gal mix of
acetone with gasoline to boost octane and improve mpg in a Miata or Protege?

And no, I am not interested in this whole discussion of how it's not
approved, will eat up your seals, if it was true all gas would already have
it, blah blah. I've heard it, we all have, seen it, read it. Looking for
first-hand actual experiences, and that's it.

Anybody?
Old September 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Leon van Dommelen

josh > wrote:

HOW DO YOU MEAN, no uninformed skeptics allowed? Is that in the charter?!!

>Does anyone have ACTUAL FIRST-HAND experience with the 0.2-0.3oz/gal mix of
>acetone with gasoline to boost octane and improve mpg in a Miata or Protege?

Many on the Internet have tried it and report 35% gain in mileage and
similar reductions in polluting emissions. This is my first-hand experience.

>And no, I am not interested in this whole discussion of how it's not
>approved, will eat up your seals, if it was true all gas would already have
>it, blah blah.

I am skeptical about your powers of reasoning and critical thinking, but
I am not uninformed. You just informed me.

> I've heard it, we all have, seen it, read it.

Try for "comprehended it."

> Looking for
>first-hand actual experiences, and that's it.
>
>Anybody?

Yes. Substituting acetone for ethanol has actually been tried. According
to sources claiming to be familiar with the study, it was found to lead to
35% *increase* in mpg, 25% *decrease* in greenhouse emissions, and an
almost 100% *elimination* of hydrocarbons.

However, these results were not disclosed to the public since the study
was performed by a government agency, and we all know that these are
in cahoots with the big oil companies who would be ruined by a 35%
reduction in fuel consumption.

So, the best is for you to verify these astonishing results yourself,
even at the possible cost of your engine, and then report your miraculous
results to this newsgroup *very, Very, VERY QUICKLY.* Note that hit
squads from the oil companies are out there that have orders to shoot
anyone who they suspect has used acetone in their fuel and is ready
to report the results to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata.

Strength!
Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 10th 05, 04:02 AM
Chuck

I don't know about seals. but I'd sure worry about plastic parts, like the
fuel lines, couplings, and plastic injectors..

Old September 10th 05, 06:00 AM
Red

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:14:07 GMT, josh > wrote in

> Does anyone have ACTUAL FIRST-HAND experience with the 0.2-0.3oz/gal
> mix of acetone with gasoline to boost octane and improve mpg in a
> Miata or Protege?
>
> And no, I am not interested in this whole discussion of how it's not
> approved, will eat up your seals, if it was true all gas would already
> have it, blah blah. I've heard it, we all have, seen it, read it.
> Looking for first-hand actual experiences, and that's it.
>
> Anybody?

I do have first hand experience with varsol. It wasn't to boost
octane though. I wish it had been. It was a can labelled methanol
and was poured in to prevent gas line freezing. Good ol' Dad
had cleaned his brushes in varsol and used the closest empty can
to store the results. He didn't figure on anybody looking
for alcohol in his work room I guess. We called it the varnished
engine. It never ran very well after that. But it didn't freeze!

Then there was the time Dad acted really strangely for a few
days. Found out he'd been stripping paint with acetone and no
mask. He never ran very well after that. And he never froze!

Old September 10th 05, 12:04 PM
BCRandy

Go Leon!

"Leon van Dommelen" >
wrote in message
> josh > wrote:
>
> HOW DO YOU MEAN, no uninformed skeptics allowed? Is that

in the charter?!!

> >Does anyone have ACTUAL FIRST-HAND experience with the

0.2-0.3oz/gal mix of
> >acetone with gasoline to boost octane and improve mpg in

a Miata or Protege?

> Many on the Internet have tried it and report 35% gain in

mileage and
> similar reductions in polluting emissions. This is my

first-hand experience.

> >And no, I am not interested in this whole discussion of

how it's not
> >approved, will eat up your seals, if it was true all gas

would already have
> >it, blah blah.

> I am skeptical about your powers of reasoning and critical

thinking, but
> I am not uninformed. You just informed me.
>
> > I've heard it, we all have, seen it, read it.

> Try for "comprehended it."
>
> > Looking for
> >first-hand actual experiences, and that's it.
> >
> >Anybody?

> Yes. Substituting acetone for ethanol has actually been

tried. According
> to sources claiming to be familiar with the study, it was

found to lead to
> 35% *increase* in mpg, 25% *decrease* in greenhouse

emissions, and an
> almost 100% *elimination* of hydrocarbons.
>
> However, these results were not disclosed to the public

since the study
> was performed by a government agency, and we all know that

these are
> in cahoots with the big oil companies who would be ruined

by a 35%
> reduction in fuel consumption.
>
> So, the best is for you to verify these astonishing

results yourself,
> even at the possible cost of your engine, and then report

your miraculous
> results to this newsgroup *very, Very, VERY QUICKLY.*

Note that hit
> squads from the oil companies are out there that have

orders to shoot
> anyone who they suspect has used acetone in their fuel and

is ready
> to report the results to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata.
>
> Strength!
> Leon
> --
> Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata

..)

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
> EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie

Jensen)

Old September 10th 05, 11:16 PM
Ken Lyons

"BCRandy" > wrote
> Go Leon!

Yes, but where?
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old September 11th 05, 02:00 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-10, Ken Lyons > wrote:
> "BCRandy" > wrote
>> Go Leon!

> Yes, but where?

In a Miata does it really matter?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Uh-oh!! I forgot
at to submit to COMPULSORY
Old September 12th 05, 03:02 PM
josh

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> josh > wrote:
>
> HOW DO YOU MEAN, no uninformed skeptics allowed? Is that in the charter?!!

Thanks Leon for a completely 100% useless reply.

I did notice however that nobody on this ng so far has been dumb enough to
say, "That stuff is flammable! I wouldn't DARE put a flammable liquid in my
fuel tank", or "Did you know acetone is a solvent? Who on earth would put a
solvent in their gas tank?"