completely OT!

Old July 2nd 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
SINNER

Default completely OT!

* Grant Edwards wrote in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata:

> On 2010-07-02, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:
>> I know we have some serious computer nerds here, and I say that
>> affectionately, even jealously ;-)
>>
>> Microsoft, in their own form of brilliance (stupidity really!), when
>> XP changed to Vista, Outlook Express was dropped in favor of
>> 'Microsoft Mail' which, is about the same but just enough different
>> to be a 'pain in the arse'. Didn't make any sense to me but now, in
>> Windows 7 they make another move that makes about as much sense,
>> they've dropped the mail program completely as close as I can tell.
>>
>> Can I get recommendations on (preferably) free software for sending
>> and receiving email and newsgroups?

> <ObUnixGeekReply>
>
> Mutt (email) and slrn (news) both work nicely under cygwin -- or there
> are native ports of both.
>
> </ObUnixGeekReply>

+1 on both counts, cept I dont run cygwin.

--
David
Old July 3rd 10, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 08:15:08 -0400, John McGaw wrote:
> On 7/2/2010 12:16 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>>> I know we have some serious computer nerds here, and I say that
>>> affectionately, even jealously ;-)
>>>
>>> Microsoft, in their own form of brilliance (stupidity really!), when
>>> XP changed to Vista, Outlook Express was dropped in favor of
>>> 'Microsoft Mail' which, is about the same but just enough different
>>> to be a 'pain in the arse'. Didn't make any sense to me but now, in
>>> Windows 7 they make another move that makes about as much sense,
>>> they've dropped the mail program completely as close as I can tell.
>>>
>>> Can I get recommendations on (preferably) free software for sending
>>> and receiving email and newsgroups?
>>>
>>> I appreciate your input!

>> i use thunderbird. it is free and very similar to outlook express. it
>> is developed by the same people that created the popular firefox
>> browser. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

> I'll second that -- Thunderbird works well.

I'll third it. I use thunderbird for all of my personal email. It has
built-in spam filtering, easy to configure mail sorting rules, etc. It's
cross-platform and it's free. Can't beat that.
Old July 3rd 10, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:21:42 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> <ObUnixGeekReply>
>
> Mutt (email) and slrn (news) both work nicely under cygwin -- or there
> are native ports of both.
>
> </ObUnixGeekReply>

Wow! I used mutt for years, and elm before that. Mutt especially is fast
and incredibly powerful. On the other hand I have no complaints with
Thunderbird, and I don't have to manually configure procmail,
spamassassin, etc etc.

I've used slrn quite a bit as well, but for the past five years or so
I've been using Pan.
Old July 4th 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Stuart H." > wrote in message
> Thunderbird! It is free from Mozilla just like Firefox. I use it on all
> our computers whether XP, Vista, or Windows 7.
>
> Stuart H.
> '91 Eunos Roadster

It's getting allot of votes ;-)

cd
99BBB

Old July 4th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Carbon" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:21:42 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> <ObUnixGeekReply>
>>
>> Mutt (email) and slrn (news) both work nicely under cygwin -- or there
>> are native ports of both.
>>
>> </ObUnixGeekReply>

> Wow! I used mutt for years, and elm before that. Mutt especially is fast
> and incredibly powerful. On the other hand I have no complaints with
> Thunderbird, and I don't have to manually configure procmail,
> spamassassin, etc etc.
>
> I've used slrn quite a bit as well, but for the past five years or so
> I've been using Pan.

UGLY TRUTH:

I've never heard of CYGWIN or MUTT or PROCMAIL, SPAMASSASIN or PAM! I think
I'm more along the lines of the Keep It Simple Stupid side of things. In
such a case, seems to me Thunderbird or Live Mail are the most likely
choices.

I have email addresses thru windstream, that I don't want to change. Do both
of these programs utilize my existing email address?

Thanks again guys!
Chris
99BBB

Old July 4th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> "Stuart H." > wrote in message
>> Thunderbird! It is free from Mozilla just like Firefox. I use
>> it on all our computers whether XP, Vista, or Windows 7.
>>
>> Stuart H.
>> '91 Eunos Roadster

> It's getting allot of votes ;-)

I wonder why?

I ran it for a year or so, just recently ditched it and returned to
Pegasus Mail.

T'burp's quirkiness finally drove me away from using it as an email
client and it's lack of scoring made it totally useless as a
newsreader. I know T'belch 3 has better filtering but it's still not
good enough to dive into a troll infested newsgroup.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 4th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_3_]

On 2010-07-04 10:03 AM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Carbon" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:21:42 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> <ObUnixGeekReply>
>>>
>>> Mutt (email) and slrn (news) both work nicely under cygwin -- or there
>>> are native ports of both.
>>>
>>> </ObUnixGeekReply>

>> Wow! I used mutt for years, and elm before that. Mutt especially is fast
>> and incredibly powerful. On the other hand I have no complaints with
>> Thunderbird, and I don't have to manually configure procmail,
>> spamassassin, etc etc.
>>
>> I've used slrn quite a bit as well, but for the past five years or so
>> I've been using Pan.

> UGLY TRUTH:
>
> I've never heard of CYGWIN or MUTT or PROCMAIL, SPAMASSASIN or PAM! I
> think I'm more along the lines of the Keep It Simple Stupid side of
> things. In such a case, seems to me Thunderbird or Live Mail are the
> most likely choices.
>
> I have email addresses thru windstream, that I don't want to change. Do
> both of these programs utilize my existing email address?
>
> Thanks again guys!
> Chris
> 99BBB

T'Bird definitely does, and also has a preconfig for gmail accounts as
well.

Stuart H.
'91 RHD Eunos Roadster
Old July 5th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-07-04, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:

>>> </ObUnixGeekReply>

>> Wow! I used mutt for years, and elm before that. Mutt especially is fast
>> and incredibly powerful. On the other hand I have no complaints with
>> Thunderbird, and I don't have to manually configure procmail,
>> spamassassin, etc etc.
>>
>> I've used slrn quite a bit as well, but for the past five years or so
>> I've been using Pan.

> UGLY TRUTH:
>
> I've never heard of CYGWIN or MUTT or PROCMAIL, SPAMASSASIN or PAM! I think
> I'm more along the lines of the Keep It Simple Stupid side of things. In
> such a case, seems to me Thunderbird or Live Mail are the most likely
> choices.

Huh?

Mutt and slrn are far, far more "simple" than Thunderbird (which is a
huge, bloated program) or Live Mail (which is from Microsoft -- 'nuf
said).

> I have email addresses thru windstream, that I don't want to change. Do both
> of these programs utilize my existing email address?

Of course.

--
Grant

Old July 5th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/4/2010 11:51 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

> Mutt and slrn are far, far more "simple" than Thunderbird (which is a
> huge, bloated program) or Live Mail (which is from Microsoft -- 'nuf
> said).

Chris, do you find this to be simple?

http://www.mutt.org/

Thunderbird is bloated, I agree, but it runs very well on my two ancient
machines, and the fact that we are communicating now shows that it works
at doing what I need it to do.

Pat

Old July 5th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message >
> Chris, do you find this to be simple?
>
> http://www.mutt.org/
>
> Thunderbird is bloated, I agree, but it runs very well on my two ancient
> machines, and the fact that we are communicating now shows that it works
> at doing what I need it to do.
>
> Pat

At a glance on that page, it looks like it might be stripped down and simple
to a techie but simple to me is like, idiot buttons to click. This isn't a
fair assessment, I just glanced at the info on the link but. I went ahead
with Thunderbird (this was all in reference to my wife's relatively new lap
top) so, we'll see how that works out.

Thanks again for all the good info guys!

Chris
99BBB