DAMP! 156

Old December 8th 09, 03:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Simon Bothwell

Default DAMP! 156

I've had a look and can only find a small panel where you say, I removed
this to find solid bulkhead behind it!

Old December 8th 09, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>>> Yes. If it's actually damp (like the carpets are wet) it's more likely
>>> to be an A/C condenser hose, depending on where the carpets are wet
>>> IYSWIM
>>>
>>> If it just mists up all the time, then the filter needs replacing.
>>>
>>> It's in the scuttle, passenger side (in the UK) easy to get to with teh
>>> bonnet up.

>> Does it actually filter out any moisture, or just pollen?

> Pollen, dust and that sort of thing. But it gets clogged and then damp, so
> it's making all the air that gets drawn in wet, AIUI.
>

>> Can you give us directions to find it (is a scuttle the big black plastic
>> thing behind the headlight cluster?) - if it is an easy job to remove,
>> then I'll just take mine out too - been replaced once during the service
>> package in the first 3 years, then never since 2004.

> Nope. Open the bonnet. Look below the passenger side wiper. There's a
> panel that can be opened with, IIRC a philips screwdriver. There *might*
> be some plastic foam in the way. It just pulls out (gently. It's not
> really important, but it does tear)
>
> If you can't see it, let me know and I'll take a picture tomorrow.
>
> When you get it out, make sure you clean the housing. It'll probably be
> full of dead leaves and stuff, which blocks the drain holes and
> exacerbates the problem.
>
> Once you've got it open it'd dead simple. Held in by a couple of rubber
> bands. Literally a 5 minutes job.

The only panel I see near the wipers is the panel that runs the full width
of the car - the long plastic part that houses the washer jets, immediately
below the windscreen and visible with the bonnet shut. I don't think this is
the part that you mean, but I think Simon and I have the same grey plastic
blindness - I think a couple of snaps might help!

Old December 8th 09, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:52:26 +0000, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Dave Savage wrote:

>>> PS Do you suppose that Alfa bother to read any of the stuff posted here or
>>> on the AROC web-site ??
>>>

>> No

> Do you think they bother with anything??

Pass

Old December 8th 09, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:10:05 -0000, "GT"
> wrote:

>The only panel I see near the wipers is the panel that runs the full width
>of the car - the long plastic part that houses the washer jets, immediately
>below the windscreen and visible with the bonnet shut. I don't think this is
>the part that you mean, but I think Simon and I have the same grey plastic
>blindness - I think a couple of snaps might help!

IIRC, I took off the wipers (at the base), undid a few TORX screws (2
each side), removed (carefully!) a crosshead at the wing end
(underneath a prize-out flushing disk). Then you jemmy the panel out
as there are some Christmas-tree style friction fittings. Should
reveal all..

That gets both panels off. For just the pollen filter, just the
passenger side one needs removing.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old December 8th 09, 05:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> Does it actually filter out any moisture, or just pollen?

>> Pollen, dust and that sort of thing. But it gets clogged and then damp, so
>> it's making all the air that gets drawn in wet, AIUI.
>>
>>> Can you give us directions to find it (is a scuttle the big black plastic
>>> thing behind the headlight cluster?) - if it is an easy job to remove,
>>> then I'll just take mine out too - been replaced once during the service
>>> package in the first 3 years, then never since 2004.

>> Nope. Open the bonnet. Look below the passenger side wiper. There's a
>> panel that can be opened with, IIRC a philips screwdriver. There *might*
>> be some plastic foam in the way. It just pulls out (gently. It's not
>> really important, but it does tear)
>>
>> If you can't see it, let me know and I'll take a picture tomorrow.
>>
>> When you get it out, make sure you clean the housing. It'll probably be
>> full of dead leaves and stuff, which blocks the drain holes and
>> exacerbates the problem.
>>
>> Once you've got it open it'd dead simple. Held in by a couple of rubber
>> bands. Literally a 5 minutes job.

> The only panel I see near the wipers is the panel that runs the full width
> of the car - the long plastic part that houses the washer jets, immediately
> below the windscreen and visible with the bonnet shut. I don't think this is
> the part that you mean, but I think Simon and I have the same grey plastic
> blindness - I think a couple of snaps might help!

Thinking about it that might have to come off.

For you and Simon, if you try and bug me tomorrow I'll get some shots in
the daylight and email them.

Old December 8th 09, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
Zathras > wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:10:05 -0000, "GT"
> wrote:
>
>>The only panel I see near the wipers is the panel that runs the full width
>>of the car - the long plastic part that houses the washer jets, immediately
>>below the windscreen and visible with the bonnet shut. I don't think this is
>>the part that you mean, but I think Simon and I have the same grey plastic
>>blindness - I think a couple of snaps might help!

> IIRC, I took off the wipers (at the base), undid a few TORX screws (2
> each side), removed (carefully!) a crosshead at the wing end
> (underneath a prize-out flushing disk). Then you jemmy the panel out
> as there are some Christmas-tree style friction fittings. Should
> reveal all..
>
> That gets both panels off. For just the pollen filter, just the
> passenger side one needs removing.

That's how I remember it as well. The panel you see running the full width
is actually 2 pieces as Zathras said. On mine, the the crosshead would not
come out, but it proved possible to pivot the panel around that screw
enough to get to the filter. And be very carefull with the christmas-tree
fittings (do they have an official name?), if you pull too hard, the
socket on the panel that holds the 'tree' can break.

And what version/year 156 do you have? There has been a change in pollen
filter type somewhere. The old type has one big filter (my 2001 2.0TS has
that), the newer ones have two smaller filters. Not sure if those are on
one side, or you need to remove both panels.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

It is Fortune, not Wisdom, that rules man's life.
Old December 8th 09, 10:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Stef > wrote:

> And what version/year 156 do you have? There has been a change in pollen
> filter type somewhere. The old type has one big filter (my 2001 2.0TS has
> that), the newer ones have two smaller filters. Not sure if those are on
> one side, or you need to remove both panels.

If you have the facelift dash (with the computer in the air-vent bit on
the top and climate controls with LED displays), the pollen filters are
behind the dash on the nearside of the car. Not easy to get to.
--
SteveH
Old December 8th 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Stef" > wrote in message
> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> Zathras > wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 16:10:05 -0000, "GT"
> wrote:
>>
>>>The only panel I see near the wipers is the panel that runs the full
>>>width
>>>of the car - the long plastic part that houses the washer jets,
>>>immediately
>>>below the windscreen and visible with the bonnet shut. I don't think this
>>>is
>>>the part that you mean, but I think Simon and I have the same grey
>>>plastic
>>>blindness - I think a couple of snaps might help!

>> IIRC, I took off the wipers (at the base), undid a few TORX screws (2
>> each side), removed (carefully!) a crosshead at the wing end
>> (underneath a prize-out flushing disk). Then you jemmy the panel out
>> as there are some Christmas-tree style friction fittings. Should
>> reveal all..
>>
>> That gets both panels off. For just the pollen filter, just the
>> passenger side one needs removing.

> That's how I remember it as well. The panel you see running the full width
> is actually 2 pieces as Zathras said. On mine, the the crosshead would not
> come out, but it proved possible to pivot the panel around that screw
> enough to get to the filter. And be very carefull with the christmas-tree
> fittings (do they have an official name?), if you pull too hard, the
> socket on the panel that holds the 'tree' can break.
>
> And what version/year 156 do you have? There has been a change in pollen
> filter type somewhere. The old type has one big filter (my 2001 2.0TS has
> that), the newer ones have two smaller filters. Not sure if those are on
> one side, or you need to remove both panels.

Ahh - I said I have the pre-facelift, but my car is a sort-of hybrid - new
interior with the digital climate control and computer gadgetry, the newer
2.0JTS engine under the bonnet, but the proper (pre 2003) exterior.

Old December 9th 09, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

GT > wrote:

> > And what version/year 156 do you have? There has been a change in pollen
> > filter type somewhere. The old type has one big filter (my 2001 2.0TS has
> > that), the newer ones have two smaller filters. Not sure if those are on
> > one side, or you need to remove both panels.

> Ahh - I said I have the pre-facelift, but my car is a sort-of hybrid - new
> interior with the digital climate control and computer gadgetry, the newer
> 2.0JTS engine under the bonnet, but the proper (pre 2003) exterior.

Ours is probably even more unusual - facelift interior (with digital
climate and computery stuff), original shell, TSpark engine.

Right PITA to get to the pollen filters, then.

Book yourself half an hour to spend upside down in the passenger
footwell.
--
SteveH

96 2.8L Jetta DOHC won't start when its damp out radi8 VW water cooled 3 September 23rd 08 01:11 PM
97 TJ Engine Skipping Chugging When Damp [email protected] Jeep 11 July 12th 07 02:16 AM
90 Golf is great, but jumpy when it's damp Ldray VW water cooled 7 August 2nd 06 08:06 AM
seat belt damp Jonathan Comeau BMW 0 May 21st 06 04:59 PM
92 caravan se stalling when damp dodgey Dodge 2 October 17th 04 01:46 AM