Sillyspeed...

Old December 5th 09, 01:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Sillyspeed...

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:21:37 +0000, Catman
> wrote:

>So I think you two have had bad ones

Not sure if *bad* is the right word, more *lacking in stamina* in my
case. Mine was excellent for just over 7 years. In fact, the best car
I've ever owned (for reliability).

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old December 5th 09, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> Dave Savage > wrote:
>

> I'm not entirely sure what to do next, really - very tempted to flog the
> Sillyspeed when we get it back and do the 2.4JTD thing - manual gearbox
> and the less pretty facelift body. But it would have to be a Sportwagon
> again. Or possibly a late 147.
>
> A GT would be ideal, if the boot wasn't a boot, but was a hatch. That
> was a missed opportunity from Alfa, IMHO.
> --
> SteveH

In your shoes I'd be tempted to go for anything with a manual box - I always
reckoned that Sillyspeed was just another thing to go wrong.

No doubt I'll now be flooded with folks telling me that Selespeed is the
greatest thing since spaghetti (they don't do sliced bread in Italy) !!

Dave S....

Old December 5th 09, 01:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Ivan wrote:
> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>> Dave Savage > wrote:
>>

>> A GT would be ideal, if the boot wasn't a boot, but was a hatch. That
>> was a missed opportunity from Alfa, IMHO.

> I think you will find the GT has a hatch! Well at least mine has... unless
> it *should* be a boot but mine has some serious manufacturing defect!

But do your seats fold down?

SteveH: Angle Grinder?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 5th 09, 01:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:43:27 +0000, Catman
> wrote:

>> Duff bonnet catches (remind me somebody what year approx this started
>> happening, it was a few years into the production run) .

>Don't recall that one.

It was an official recall on my 2001 model. The *fix* was to vomit
grease all over it. Problem was that the catch could stick and not
hold properly although it had appeared to. At speed, the bonnet could
open and wrap itself round the windscreen. I heard of one case several
years ago just before the recall. Quite a few manufacturers have
suffered this particular embarrassment.

Old December 5th 09, 01:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:49:50 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> > wrote:
>
>>Shame, my petrol 156 is 11years old and 80,000 miles. Given my recent
>>experiences, I was going to give it to you (fellow Scot, we need to stick
>>together).

> As a Lloyds shareholder, I no longer have the ability to fund the Alfa
> lifestyle! But thanks anyway..
>
>>Instead, I guess I'll have to keep it.

> ..or..investigate the scrappage scheme..

On the case already with that one.

Dave S....

Old December 5th 09, 01:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 11:43:27 +0000, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>> Duff bonnet catches (remind me somebody what year approx this started
>>> happening, it was a few years into the production run) .

>> Don't recall that one.

> It was an official recall on my 2001 model. The *fix* was to vomit
> grease all over it. Problem was that the catch could stick and not
> hold properly although it had appeared to. At speed, the bonnet could
> open and wrap itself round the windscreen. I heard of one case several
> years ago just before the recall. Quite a few manufacturers have
> suffered this particular embarrassment.

OOooooh. Yes I had that on the last one. Just made sure I shut the
bloody thing.

Old December 5th 09, 02:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:18:03 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>An odd "positive" : it's still on the original exhaust !

Aren't they all!

>A couple of negatives :
>
>The suspension is poor (choppy / jiggly) - I've always wondered if this is
>down to UK roads (maybe Italian roads are smoother).

Nah. The words you're looking for are "body control is f***ing sh!t".
I don't like to do comparisons here with my current mule but I'll make
an exception as it's helpful to explain my point.

I have an E90 BMW 3 series with M-Sport suspension and vast run-flat
tyres on massive alloys. It's the hardest, noisiest setup you could
ever imagine on a road car. It's much jigglier and harder than the
Veloce 156 and violently throws the occupants about on undulating
surfaces. So it's worse than the 156 then? ..er..no. Why? The *body
control* is stunning in comparison to a 156. The beemer follows the
road undulations perfectly (as do the occupants!) and never looses
it's composure over less than perfect roads. The occupants are
punished but I think the car would be twice as quick as my 156 over
certain roads.

On the other hand, the 156 is a lot gentler on the occupants but the
front end was *totally* bewildered by undulating roads. The number of
times I had to slow down to protect the bottom of the car from damage
while, frankly, rubbish cars overtook was astonishing. It was all very
well known and you could get kits to improve things (e.g.
Harvey-Bailey).

The awfulness of the 156 body control is put into sharp context when
everybody who has been in my 156 and has now been in the BMW has said
it's more comfortable!! I say "how is that possible in a car that's
widely criticised for it's harsh ride?" - the conclusion is that if
you must have a car with a "sporty" ride quality, it's got to have
decent body control to be comfortable. Sporty ride quality and naff
body control simply isn't as good.

>A couple of years
>back, I was doing a long daily commute (90 miles each way) and had the use
>of a Vectra. I used both cars regularly on the same route, and found the
>Vectra much more sure-footed

Thou art excommunicated..burn in hell, devil spawn! 8-0

>(on some parts of the route, the Alfa felt
>positively dangerous !).
>
>The electrics are "quirky" (aircon has a mind of its own / central locking
>plays up occasionally / loose connection somewhere to the radio speakers,
>often cured by twiddling the electric window controls !).

Mine were fine except the bulb failure system didn't work. I
considered this a plus..

>Rattle in the dashboard in the cold (ah, that old chestnut !).

...but you could tell what the outside temp was with your ears and
without looking at the dash! ;-)

Old December 5th 09, 02:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Ivan > wrote:

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> > Dave Savage > wrote:
> >

> > A GT would be ideal, if the boot wasn't a boot, but was a hatch. That
> > was a missed opportunity from Alfa, IMHO.

> I think you will find the GT has a hatch! Well at least mine has... unless
> it *should* be a boot but mine has some serious manufacturing defect!

Oh, right.... I thought they were a saloon type coupe.
--
SteveH
Old December 5th 09, 02:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Ivan[_3_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> Ivan wrote:
>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>>> Dave Savage > wrote:
>>>

>>> A GT would be ideal, if the boot wasn't a boot, but was a hatch. That
>>> was a missed opportunity from Alfa, IMHO.

>> I think you will find the GT has a hatch! Well at least mine has...
>> unless it *should* be a boot but mine has some serious manufacturing
>> defect!

> But do your seats fold down?
>
> SteveH: Angle Grinder?

Yes they do.. and they fold 60/40 too.. Just took some snaps so you can see
http://www.btinternet.com/~g1ygd/AlfaGT/

--
Ivan.

Alfa GT
Ex 156 2.5 V6 Veloce
Ex 156 Selespeed (RIP 22 May 03)
Ex 145 QV
Ex 33 16v QV
Ex 33 QV series 1

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4661 (20091204) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 5th 09, 02:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Ivan > wrote:

> > But do your seats fold down?
> >
> > SteveH: Angle Grinder?
> >

> Yes they do.. and they fold 60/40 too.. Just took some snaps so you can see
> http://www.btinternet.com/~g1ygd/AlfaGT/

I was convinced I'd seen a photo of one where the boot opened saloon
style.

<fires up autotrader>
--
SteveH