Need help to replace thermostat on 1993 325i sedan

Old December 28th 04, 11:23 PM
Lyle_s

Default Need help to replace thermostat on 1993 325i sedan

Hello,

I have a 1993 BMW 325i that never warms up when the weather gets cold
(35 degrees farenheit and under). I am assuming that the thermostat is
stuck open and I would like to replace it myself (because I am cheap).
Unfortunately, I can't tell where it is!

Chilton's suggests that the thermostat is close to the water pump,
either by the cylinder head, intake manifold, or between the two
cooling hoses. My engine has an aluminun "T" where the upper and lower
radiator hoses seem to connect to the engine block. The postings I see
here suggest that I will need to take my colling fan off to get at the
thermostat, so now I am pretty confused.

Can someone help me pinpoint where the thermostat is at?
Thanks,

Lyle_s

Old December 29th 04, 12:00 AM
CFL

Lyle_s wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 1993 BMW 325i that never warms up when the weather gets cold
> (35 degrees farenheit and under). I am assuming that the thermostat is
> stuck open and I would like to replace it myself (because I am cheap).
> Unfortunately, I can't tell where it is!
>
> Chilton's suggests that the thermostat is close to the water pump,
> either by the cylinder head, intake manifold, or between the two
> cooling hoses. My engine has an aluminun "T" where the upper and lower
> radiator hoses seem to connect to the engine block. The postings I see
> here suggest that I will need to take my colling fan off to get at the
> thermostat, so now I am pretty confused.
>
> Can someone help me pinpoint where the thermostat is at?
> Thanks,
>
> Lyle_s

This will point you to a good guide.

Old December 29th 04, 12:02 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a 1993 BMW 325i that never warms up when the weather gets cold
> (35 degrees farenheit and under). I am assuming that the thermostat is
> stuck open and I would like to replace it myself (because I am cheap).
> Unfortunately, I can't tell where it is!
>
> Chilton's suggests that the thermostat is close to the water pump,
> either by the cylinder head, intake manifold, or between the two
> cooling hoses. My engine has an aluminun "T" where the upper and lower
> radiator hoses seem to connect to the engine block. The postings I see
> here suggest that I will need to take my colling fan off to get at the
> thermostat, so now I am pretty confused.
>
> Can someone help me pinpoint where the thermostat is at?
> Thanks,
>
> Lyle_s

The "T" is the housing that contains the t-stat. Remove the housing, the
t-stat is behind it. When you remove the old t-stat, note the orientation
of it so you are sure to install the new one the same way. The cooling fan
will most likely be in the way if you don't remove it. Its a 32mm with left
hand threads. If you are standing in front of the car, turn the wrench your
right (drivers side) to remove the fan nut. You'll also need to either hold
the waterpump pulley still or beat the wrench with a hammer to shock the nut
loose.

Kyle.

Old December 30th 04, 04:58 PM
Lyle_s

Thanks Kyle. I followed your directions and replaced the thermostat.
However, now the car is overheating when I drive it around the block
and I can't get any heat to come out. The car appears to have plenty
of coolant and I tried to bleed the cooling system based on
instructions in this newsgroup but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Old December 30th 04, 05:51 PM
Somebody

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Kyle. I followed your directions and replaced the thermostat.
> However, now the car is overheating when I drive it around the block
> and I can't get any heat to come out. The car appears to have plenty
> of coolant and I tried to bleed the cooling system based on
> instructions in this newsgroup but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Waterpump?

-Russ.

Old December 31st 04, 12:32 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Kyle. I followed your directions and replaced the thermostat.
> However, now the car is overheating when I drive it around the block
> and I can't get any heat to come out. The car appears to have plenty
> of coolant and I tried to bleed the cooling system based on
> instructions in this newsgroup but the problem persists. Any ideas?

It sounds to me like the system isn't bled yet. When the waterpump on my 97
M3 went, I had thought I bled it correctly. I didn't get overheating, but a
day later, the low coolant warning came on the check control. A quick check
of the tank when cold showed that it was indeed low. Filled it up at that
point and no problems since. My 98 740iL had the overheating problem after
I changed out the waterpump. This time I know I didn't bled it correctly.
Taking the time to do it right made all the difference. That was six months
ago and no problems since.

Kyle.

Old December 31st 04, 05:14 AM
Lyle_s

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out on this. Let me
fill you in on how it played out:

I tried bleeding the system again but I didn't seem to be getting
results so I dediced to take it to a Fast Track for a radiator flush.
After the flush I drove away and it was a little better but still
running hot. On my way home the upper hose blew off the radiator,
taking some of the connector with it. I took it into the mechanic and
it turns out that the water pump had failed (it was the original pump
apparently and the car has 125,000 miles on it). Because that
connector broke, I also need a new radiator. So, by trying to save
myself a few bucks on a thermostat replacement, I have inadvertently
cost myself several hundred dollars more than I needed to.

What confuses me about the situation is that the car never overheated
before I replaced the thermostat. I would think that, even with the
thermostat stuck open, the car would run warm if the pump wasn't moving
any fluid.

Anyhow, the moral of this story is that I shouldn't be doing my own
repairs, I suppose...

Old December 31st 04, 11:30 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> <snip>
> Anyhow, the moral of this story is that I shouldn't be doing my own
> repairs, I suppose...

You win some you lose some. Don't feel defeated. We've all screwed
something up at some time or another trying to do our own repairs. In the
end, you most likely will save money from doing it yourself, not to mention
the knowledge you gain to competently speak with the mechanic if you do need
to bring it in. When you say "I'm not sure what's wrong", they hear a cash
register ringing up a big $$ repair, needed or not. Plus there's a lot of
satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Don't give up.

Kyle.