Talk me out of buying a 166

Old September 20th 05, 10:04 PM
George Graves

In article >,
"PeterMcC" > wrote:

> George Graves wrote in
> >

> > In article >,
> > "PeterMcC" > wrote:
> >
> >> George Graves wrote in

> >> That would be a good point, were it possible to buy a 1.6l 166

> > I was going by what someone else wrote. Alfas aren't marketed in the
> > US so I have no way of knowing which engine is available in which
> > model, where.

> No personal criticism intended, George - and it *would* have been a good
> point

OK.
Old September 21st 05, 03:36 PM
Pete

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:49:38 GMT, Halmyre >, wrote:

>156 owners complain that
>passengers have difficulty getting in! Perhaps Alfa-Romeo should tell
>people who complain about such quirks to bugger off and buy a Vectra or
>a Mondeo if door handles are such a big issue...

Too true. Although I suspect it was 156 drivers rather than owners who
complained. After all, who would spend out on a brand new 156 and not
notice the beauty of the non-visible rear door-handles? The sad fact is
that Alfa have to listen to fleet buyers & users to make affordable cars
for the rest of us. Whilst Alfisti may well pay a grand more to not have
nasty door handles, fleet buyers are only interested in making their budget
work. It takes a lot of units sold to bring unit cost down by 1000 quid.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old September 24th 05, 10:57 AM

Well fellas, thanks for all your help.

I'm now the proud owner of a 1997 2.0 156 Sportspack 2. I was going to
get a slightly newer model with more gadgets and leather but after
hours of searching I managed to pick this one up for =A31700. Couple of
scratched and scuffs but very well kept inside and runs very well.

How long she will last I'm not sure but for =A31700 a couple of years
will do me

Thanks again for your comments, without them I probably would not be a
member of the Alfa club.=20

Cheers,=20
Dave

Old September 24th 05, 11:11 AM
SteveH

> Well fellas, thanks for all your help.
>
> I'm now the proud owner of a 1997 2.0 156 Sportspack 2. I was going to
> get a slightly newer model with more gadgets and leather but after
> hours of searching I managed to pick this one up for £1700. Couple of
> scratched and scuffs but very well kept inside and runs very well.
>
> How long she will last I'm not sure but for £1700 a couple of years
> will do me
>
> Thanks again for your comments, without them I probably would not be a
> member of the Alfa club.

Well done that man. That's a fsking bargain.

To all those who think I'm a little harsh with my valuations.....
there's some living proof that I know what I'm doing ;-)
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old September 25th 05, 07:36 PM
michaelb

"" wrote:
> Well fellas, thanks for all your help.
>
> I'm now the proud owner of a 1997 2.0 156 Sportspack 2. I was
> going to
> get a slightly newer model with more gadgets and leather but
> after
> hours of searching I managed to pick this one up for £1700.
> Couple of
> scratched and scuffs but very well kept inside and runs very
> well.
>
> How long she will last I'm not sure but for £1700 a couple of
> years
> will do me
>
> Thanks again for your comments, without them I probably would
> not be a
> member of the Alfa club.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Dave,

Congrats on the purchase. At that price it’s a steal. Enjoy it.

I had an old 164 3.0 once I sold to a friend for GBP 500, he kept it
for a couple of years after that and managed to get it past 200,000
miles with no problems and the only servicing being infrequent oil
changes. He eventually traded it in (against a 166) and persuaded, no
forced, Desira to give him GBP 500 part-ex for it. Now if you can get
that sort of use out of your 156 you will be doing well.

Have fun,

Michael

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Alfa-Romeo...ict138618.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=675810