Best Windshield Wipers

Old February 1st 05, 11:01 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Did a search on this topic and can't find any *good* current info (it's
> all 1992 and previous). I will provide my opinion on this matter. I
> currently use a pair of wipers blades I bought at Target (somewhere
> around 1996 or 97). I have been using that same pair of wiper blades
> ever since (today is Jan 29, 2004 just for your reference). I guess
> that would give me a life of somewhere around 7 years. I think the type
> I bought was by Anco. The packaging "guaranteed" they would last me the
> life of the car (or something to that effect), I'm not really sure, all
> I can remember is that it was a pretty bold guarantee and I wound up
> paying $12 which to me was a huge sum of money just to pay for wiper
> refills (2 pairs), but alas, I took the plunge. I have been very
> impressed. Only the past 2 years have the wiper blades started to slip.
> They aren't removing as much water as they used to, as the window still
> has little teensy streaks left afterwards, but they still work. I
> should just look for the second pair which is probably in my garage
> someplace instead of shopping for a new one but it's so exciting
> looking for new wiper blades!
>
> As a side note, people seem to be recommending Bosch wipers (at least
> the 1992 entries did). They also stated they had to replace them every
> 2 years or so. I don't consider 2 years to be a good life at all for
> wiper blades. I need something that will last me at least 7 years like
> my previous set.

Silicone wiper blades is what your after, PIAA, Havoline, and Silblade
are some of the makes out there.

Ted

Old February 2nd 05, 02:52 PM
Corky Scott

I actually have a seperate issue regarding windshield wipers. I have
no problems with their normal operation, when they start streaking I
either clean them or replace them. My issue is finding wipers that do
not lift off the windshield while driving in the rain at over 70 mph.

I've found some that are shaped like a reverse airfoil (sort of) that
purport to stick to the windshield, and they do better than most but
they still lift off at the higher speeds and finding them is
problematic. Right now I can't seem to find them at all.

It's worse in the winter if I'm using winter type blades. They offer
more resistance to the wind and some types lift up so much that only
the outer two inches actually clear anything.

Yes I could simply slow down to where the wiper stays on the
windshield, that would certainly be my wife's immediate choice for her
and me. But it would be nice to have effective windshield clearing
even at 75 mph, should the need ever arise.

How about clip-on wiper arm airfoils?

Thanks, Corky Scott
Old February 2nd 05, 03:09 PM
No Spam

Corky Scott > wrote:

>I actually have a seperate issue regarding windshield wipers. I have
>no problems with their normal operation, when they start streaking I
>either clean them or replace them. My issue is finding wipers that do
>not lift off the windshield while driving in the rain at over 70 mph.

Just replace the springs in your wiper arms (or the complete arms) its
nothing to do with the blades.

Old February 2nd 05, 03:55 PM
Mike Romain

You need new wiper arms or springs for them or the arms need to be bent
a bit to put more pressure on the blade.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 3rd 05, 02:35 AM
Bob M.

"Corky Scott" > wrote in message

> I've found some that are shaped like a reverse airfoil (sort of) that
> purport to stick to the windshield, and they do better than most but
> they still lift off at the higher speeds and finding them is
> problematic. Right now I can't seem to find them at all.

You're looking for Trico wipers, I had that kind once. "windspoilers" I
think they were called.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:52 AM
Bror Jace

I think the key is to thorougly clean and re-lubricate the whole wiper
arm to make sure it makes constant and consistent contact with the
windshield.

I hose mine down with Simple Green, Orange blast or another cleaner,
rinse them very thoroughly, dry them and even put a tiny drop of oil on
the end of each pin and leave them laying on their side so the oil can
work its way over both ends of the pin.

Since I use winter wipers (was -20F here last week) I take my time and
do this in the "off-season."

--- Bror Jace

Old February 3rd 05, 12:56 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Silicone wiper blades is what your after, PIAA, Havoline, and

Silblade
> are some of the makes out there.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that conventional-looking wiper
blades were now being made of silicone. I have Tripledge silicone
wipers, which are lousy because they have multiple edges and are kind
of stiff, but I bought them mainly because I'm in a sunny climate and
want longevity rather than good wiping. They're ten years old but are
still like-new.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:13 PM
N8N

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Did a search on this topic and can't find any *good* current info

(it's
> > all 1992 and previous). I will provide my opinion on this matter. I
> > currently use a pair of wipers blades I bought at Target (somewhere
> > around 1996 or 97). I have been using that same pair of wiper

blades
> > ever since (today is Jan 29, 2004 just for your reference). I guess
> > that would give me a life of somewhere around 7 years. I think the

type
> > I bought was by Anco. The packaging "guaranteed" they would last me

the
> > life of the car (or something to that effect), I'm not really sure,

all
> > I can remember is that it was a pretty bold guarantee and I wound

up
> > paying $12 which to me was a huge sum of money just to pay for

wiper
> > refills (2 pairs), but alas, I took the plunge. I have been very
> > impressed. Only the past 2 years have the wiper blades started to

slip.
> > They aren't removing as much water as they used to, as the window

still
> > has little teensy streaks left afterwards, but they still work. I
> > should just look for the second pair which is probably in my garage
> > someplace instead of shopping for a new one but it's so exciting
> > looking for new wiper blades!
> >
> > As a side note, people seem to be recommending Bosch wipers (at

least
> > the 1992 entries did). They also stated they had to replace them

every
> > 2 years or so. I don't consider 2 years to be a good life at all

for
> > wiper blades. I need something that will last me at least 7 years

like
> > my previous set.
> >

> Silicone wiper blades is what your after, PIAA, Havoline, and

Silblade
> are some of the makes out there.
>
> Ted

Anyone tried the PIAA blades? I just passed right by those because I
ASSumed they were of the same quality as their fog lights.

nate

Old February 3rd 05, 06:33 PM
Steve

N8N wrote:

> Anyone tried the PIAA blades? I just passed right by those because I
> ASSumed they were of the same quality as their fog lights.
>
> nate

Same here. To me, the PIAA logo is a claxon screaming "DANGER! JUNK!
DANGER! JUNK!"