Does your OUT OF STATE vehicle (car, mc, truck) have a 49 or 50-state sticker?

Old December 14th 18, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,ca.driving
arlen holder

Default Does your OUT OF STATE vehicle (car, mc, truck) have a 49 or 50-state sticker?

Does your OUT OF STATE vehicle (car, mc, truck) have a 49 or 50-state
sticker?

There is some disagreement on the Android/Apple newsgroups related to the
proposed 5-year retroactive California texting tax where someone brought up
the fact that they "thought" you could register a *new* out of state car in
California, that you bought with fewer than 7,500 miles on the odometer.

According to this reference, you can NEVER register it in California
(if they _know_ you bought it with fewer than 7,500 miles, that is):
<https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29>

Everything boils down to what the *sticker* says.
If the sticker does not have (literally) the word California, then it's a
goner. You can _never_ register it in California.

The sticker is all they care about (it can pass emissions, and it will, but
that's not what they care about).

Since I only have California vehicles, I want to ask others out there.

Does YOUR non-California vehicle literally have the word "California" in
the emissions label?
Old December 14th 18, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,ca.driving
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 01:11:12 -0000 (UTC), arlen
holder > wrote:

>Does your OUT OF STATE vehicle (car, mc, truck) have a 49 or 50-state
>sticker?
>
>There is some disagreement on the Android/Apple newsgroups related to the
>proposed 5-year retroactive California texting tax where someone brought up
>the fact that they "thought" you could register a *new* out of state car in
>California, that you bought with fewer than 7,500 miles on the odometer.
>
>According to this reference, you can NEVER register it in California
>(if they _know_ you bought it with fewer than 7,500 miles, that is):
> <https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29>
>
>Everything boils down to what the *sticker* says.
>If the sticker does not have (literally) the word California, then it's a
>goner. You can _never_ register it in California.
>
>The sticker is all they care about (it can pass emissions, and it will, but
>that's not what they care about).
>
>Since I only have California vehicles, I want to ask others out there.
>
>Does YOUR non-California vehicle literally have the word "California" in
>the emissions label?

I have no experience with this but wouldn't be suprised. New cars sold
in California have to meet its emission standards. That's how they got
rid of smog in LA. They did get rid of it, didnt' they?

So how would it be if people from California could fly to some other
state, buy a non-Cal car there, have a one- or two-week vacation drive
and end up back in california, and then register the car in Cal,
avoiding the law requiring higher emission standards.

Or, maybe they could just get dropped off right across the border and
drive 5 miles back to Cal.

Clearly 5 miles aren't enought to stop this, and the miles from a 2-week
car trip aren't enough, so what is? I say 7,500 or bust. Seventy Five
0 0 or fight.
Old December 14th 18, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,ca.driving
micky

holder > wrote:

>Does YOUR non-California vehicle literally have the word "California" in
>the emissions label?

BTW, I'm sure almost no car sold out of cal has cal in the emilssion
labels, because such cars are more expensive, or get lower mileage, and
people don't want them unless the law requires them to buy one, and
that's only true in Cal.

Maybe once in a great while a mistake is made and such a car gets
shipped to a dealer out of Cal, and sold to someone who doesn't know
prices or doesn't car about, what, 2 or 300??? dollars, but with more
computers that's probably rarer than ever.
Old December 14th 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,ca.driving
nospam[_4_]

In article >, micky
> wrote:

> BTW, I'm sure almost no car sold out of cal has cal in the emilssion
> labels, because such cars are more expensive, or get lower mileage, and
> people don't want them unless the law requires them to buy one, and
> that's only true in Cal.

false.

<https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-follow-califo
rnias-emission-and-zero-emission-vehicle-rules>
Thirteen states‹mostly in the Northeast and Northwest‹and the
District of Columbia have adopted California's stricter emissions
standards, many of which also participate in the zero-emission
vehicle mandate.

Known as "Section 177" states, those 13 a Connecticut, Delaware,
Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York,
Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

Arizona adopted California's standards in 2008, but the state
repealed them as soon as Governor Jan Brewer took office in January
2012.
Old December 14th 18, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen holder

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:00:12 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:

> For several years MOST vehicles sold in Canada have been 50 state
> compliant as far as emissions are concerned.

Nothing matters other than whether or not the sticker says "California".
Does anyone on this ng live outside of California?

It's not about emissions. It's about money. It's about abuse of power.

You can _never_ register a vehicle in California if they know you bough it
o Either with fewer than 7,500 miles on the odometer, or,
o If it was less than 2 years old at the time of purchase.

Period.
That's the law.
(There are minor exceptions, e.g., divorce, theft, catastrophe, etc.)

The only answer to this question that is relevant is:
o Do you reside in the USA but OUTSIDE the state of California?
o If so, does your emissions sticker literally say "California", or not?

NOTE: The cite is clear that if the emissions sticker doesn't literally
say California on that sticker, then that vehicle can't be registered under
the conditions stated above.
Old December 14th 18, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:21:31 -0000 (UTC), arlen
holder > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:00:12 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:
>
>> For several years MOST vehicles sold in Canada have been 50 state
>> compliant as far as emissions are concerned.

>Nothing matters other than whether or not the sticker says "California".
>Does anyone on this ng live outside of California?
>
>It's not about emissions. It's about money. It's about abuse of power.
>
>You can _never_ register a vehicle in California if they know you bough it
>o Either with fewer than 7,500 miles on the odometer, or,
>o If it was less than 2 years old at the time of purchase.
>
>Period.
>That's the law.
>(There are minor exceptions, e.g., divorce, theft, catastrophe, etc.)

So it's simple. Marry the seller or the seller's daughter and divorce
her before or after the car is registered. Whichever works.

>The only answer to this question that is relevant is:
>o Do you reside in the USA but OUTSIDE the state of California?
>o If so, does your emissions sticker literally say "California", or not?

I never buy a new car. I have no idea what these stickers I hear about
say.

Old December 14th 18, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen holder

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:35:26 -0500, micky wrote:

> So it's simple. Marry the seller or the seller's daughter and divorce
> her before or after the car is registered. Whichever works.

That's not the question, but to your point, all the "tricks" are he
<https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29>

The original thread on the topic is convoluted, but here's a pointer:
<https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/245eL00r/thanks-to-stupid-democrat-voters-kookifornia-proposes-to-tax-texting#post30>

> I never buy a new car. I have no idea what these stickers I hear about
> say.

Hi micky,
The year of the car is irrelevant.
If you OWN a car, it has an emissions sticker.
It just does.

It either says "California" on that sticker, or it does not.
That's the question.

It's really a very simple question.
Old December 14th 18, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 12/14/2018 4:15 PM, arlen holder wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:35:26 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> So it's simple. Marry the seller or the seller's daughter and divorce
>> her before or after the car is registered. Whichever works.

> That's not the question, but to your point, all the "tricks" are he
> <https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29>
>
> The original thread on the topic is convoluted, but here's a pointer:
> <https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/245eL00r/thanks-to-stupid-democrat-voters-kookifornia-proposes-to-tax-texting#post30>
>
>> I never buy a new car. I have no idea what these stickers I hear about
>> say.

> Hi micky,
> The year of the car is irrelevant.
> If you OWN a car, it has an emissions sticker.
> It just does.
>
> It either says "California" on that sticker, or it does not.
> That's the question.
>
> It's really a very simple question.

None of my cars, all 1965 models, have anything like
emissions controls, compliance documents or what have you.
If you don't like their stupid rules, drive an exempt car.

Bonus: No chinese electronics, can't be cited for 'no seat
belt', entire wiring diagram is easily memorized, simple
tools and meatware cover 90% of service issues, many other
subtle advantages.

Or just jump right in and do it their way. You have a choice.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old December 15th 18, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:15:10 -0000 (UTC), arlen
holder > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:35:26 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> So it's simple. Marry the seller or the seller's daughter and divorce
>> her before or after the car is registered. Whichever works.

>That's not the question, but to your point, all the "tricks" are he
><https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29>
>
>The original thread on the topic is convoluted, but here's a pointer:
><https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/245eL00r/thanks-to-stupid-democrat-voters-kookifornia-proposes-to-tax-texting#post30>
>
>> I never buy a new car. I have no idea what these stickers I hear about
>> say.

>Hi micky,
>The year of the car is irrelevant.
>If you OWN a car, it has an emissions sticker.

It may have it but I don't think I have it. Where is it?

Old December 16th 18, 06:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:15:10 -0000 (UTC), arlen
> holder > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:35:26 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> So it's simple. Marry the seller or the seller's daughter and divorce
>>> her before or after the car is registered. Whichever works.

>> That's not the question, but to your point, all the "tricks" are he
>> <https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29>
>>
>> The original thread on the topic is convoluted, but here's a pointer:
>> <https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/245eL00r/thanks-to-stupid-democrat-voters-kookifornia-proposes-to-tax-texting#post30>
>>
>>> I never buy a new car. I have no idea what these stickers I hear about
>>> say.

>> Hi micky,
>> The year of the car is irrelevant.
>> If you OWN a car, it has an emissions sticker.

> It may have it but I don't think I have it. Where is it?
>
>> It just does.
>>
>> It either says "California" on that sticker, or it does not.
>> That's the question.
>>
>> It's really a very simple question.

It will be on the header panel/radiator support.

--
Steve W.