New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Old December 11th 10, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default New Honda being delivered Wednesday

"Howard Lester" > wrote in
:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote
>
>> As for uncomfortable, just those damn headrests alone would keep me
>> from buying a Honda today. No, Honda, you don't have to jam them
>> forward so far you make my chin touch my chest. And I refuse to
>> recline the seatback like a gangsta just to avoid all of that.

> I wondered about that too-forward headrest,

It's a"safety" feature. It's supposed to help prevent neck injuries by
preventing the head from being able to move very far in a rear-end
collision.

--
Tegger
Old December 11th 10, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 12/11/2010 11:09 AM, Tegger wrote:
> "Howard > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote
>>
>>> As for uncomfortable, just those damn headrests alone would keep me
>>> from buying a Honda today. No, Honda, you don't have to jam them
>>> forward so far you make my chin touch my chest. And I refuse to
>>> recline the seatback like a gangsta just to avoid all of that.

>> I wondered about that too-forward headrest,

> It's a"safety" feature. It's supposed to help prevent neck injuries by
> preventing the head from being able to move very far in a rear-end
> collision.

that might be true, but it doesn't explain why toyota don't seem to be
afflicted in the same way.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old December 12th 10, 03:36 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Ain't that the truth. I have more fun driving the hilly winding back
roads in my ancient Civic(s) without worrying about the cops behind the
bill boards on the main roads.

JT

Old December 12th 10, 02:53 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

"Cameo" > wrote in -
september.org:

> "clams" > wrote in message
>>> With known problem it's best to trade it in and let the dealer take
>>> care of any future problems with it.

>> That's assuming the dealer provides something for the trade vs.buying
>> outright, without a trade.
>>
>> More realistically, dealers typically take older cars off their
>> customer's hands in lieu of a discount.
>>
>> My son once attempted to trade a car where the dealer offered him an
>> extra $100 off the car without the trade.

> That's true. If a car is in good working order, I would always try to
> sell it myself and buy a new car without trading in the old one. There
> is no way to know what an angry buyer of my old car could do when he
> discovers I sold him a car with known hidden problem. So that's when I
> would rather trade it in.

My Canadian province (Ontario) is an exception to the general rule that
sellng the old car yourself saves you money.

Up here, selling the old car yourself is a very expensive, since the
government rigged tax calculations to favor dealer trade-ins against
private sales. That's why private sales have almost totally dried up, with
a few exceptions.

--
Tegger
Old December 12th 10, 10:44 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Tegger > wrote:
>
>> Up here, selling the old car yourself is a very expensive, since the
>> government rigged tax calculations to favor dealer trade-ins against
>> private sales. That's why private sales have almost totally dried up,
>> with a few exceptions.

> Hmmmm. Well, down here the deal is that tax is collected against the
> net transaction--that is, if the car you're buying is $20,000 and the
> dealer shows a $10,000 trade in, sales tax is collected on the $10,000
> difference.
>
> Therefore, you need to sell your car for more than $10,700 (7% tax
> rate) in order to make a private sale be better than a trade-in. It's
> a very simple evaluation. Then there's the hassle factor of a private
> sale, the value of which is unique to every individual. That'll add
> to what a private sale price would be. But there's still a very wide
> gap between a private sale price and what the dealer will ask for it
> once he's put it on the lot, so private sales are still a good deal.
>
> Is that kind of "rigged tax calculation" you're talking about?

Yes.

> It hasn't stopped or even slowed private transactions down here, not
> one bit.

Stopped them /dead/ here. Which was just what the dealers were hoping for
when they asked for that change.

--
Tegger
Old December 12th 10, 10:46 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Tegger > wrote in
:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in
> :
>

>> It hasn't stopped or even slowed private transactions down here, not
>> one bit.

> Stopped them /dead/ here. Which was just what the dealers were hoping
> for when they asked for that change.

Our tax is 13%, by the way.

--
Tegger
Old December 14th 10, 04:02 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in
:

> As for uncomfortable, just those damn headrests alone would keep me
> from buying a Honda today. No, Honda, you don't have to jam them
> forward so far you make my chin touch my chest. And I refuse to
> recline the seatback like a gangsta just to avoid all of that.

I think they do that to save money: they get the "safety" of active
headrests without the expense of same, but annoy everybody in the process.

My next car (to be purchased within the next year) will not be a Honda.

--
Tegger
Old December 30th 10, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
tww1491

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message

In article >,
"Seth" > wrote:

> > I am sorry you're buying another Honda. You'll find out why soon
> > enough. Honda isn't the company it was 10 years ago.

> That's sad to hear. But really, what else is the alternative in that
> class
> (both price and what you get for it)? Our 2007 Odyssey has been holding up
> well. Over 60k on that already.

Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of
market. Certainly Nissan.

If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at
that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of
**** over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is
pitiful.

Yes, I have some inside information on that.

I must say that the current offerings by Honda don't do much for me --
Crosstour for example & the Accord coupe is quite ugly. I currently drive
an 06 I4 Accord coupe and have had very good service out of it. If I were to
replace it I suppose Hyundai or Nissan (altima) would be the alternatives.

Old December 31st 10, 09:39 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Fred Atkinson

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 20:27:20 -0500, "Seth"
> wrote:

>Well after 10 years of service and over 266,000 miles my '01 Accord EX-V6
>Auto is finally leaving the family. This is the combination that Honda
>extended the warranty on to like 109,000 miles. Never needed anything done
>to it. That is until recently and now every morning I have a P0780 error.
>So with that in mind I'm replacing her with a 2011 EX-L/Navi but this time
>going with the i4.
>
>Of the things I'll miss from the old one the one that for some reason sticks
>out the most is Homelink. Honda only puts that in the v6 version of the car
>for some odd reason.
>
>Well here's to another 10 years and a quarter million miles!

My 1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback is sitting outside in the
apartment's parking lot. It has three hundred thousand miles on it.

Aside from having to put a quart of oil in it every time I
fill up, it is running just fine. I keep it around as a 'chores and
errands' car.

I just purchased a 2010 Honda Fit sports model. I expect it
to do that well, too.

I've had two Chevy's (one used, one new) and two Ford
Mustangs. American cars and dealers have caused me a lot of pain.

I'm on my third Honda and I'm always been very pleased.

I've come to the conclusion that you can't go wrong with
Honda.

Fred