Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

Old April 19th 09, 04:35 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

Default Revitalized Malibu Takes on Accord and Camry

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote in message
news

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> "Mike Marlow" > wrote in
>> :
>>>"Sharx35" > wrote in message
>>>newsLuGl.22792$Db2.11621@edtnps83...

>>>Who would want to driver around in an 17 year old car?
>>>

>> Me, for instance. My car is 18 years old. Bought it new, too.
>>
>> Just don't ask your question of anybody in the "collector" auto circle.
>> To them, anything under 50 years-old is "modern", and they will sneer at
>> you aggressively for your impertinence.
>>

> To me, 1968 was the cutoff year. After that the guv'ment got way too
> involved..
>
> JT

Yeah, I recall in the 72 Dodge Darts, as soon as my dad got rid of the
charcoal canister--no more stalling and stumbling problems.

Old April 19th 09, 05:40 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Ed Pawlowski

> "Sharx35" > wrote:
>
>> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
>> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT
condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.

Reasons it is NOT mint:
Wear on the brake pedal
Wear on tires, wiper blades
Pitting on the windshield
Seat cover wear
Weather-stripping wear or compression
Dust in the engine compartment
Oil anyplace at all
Brake pad and rotor wear
Dirty mats

And hundreds more.

Old April 19th 09, 09:35 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article <XbwGl.24206$PH1.12979@edtnps82>,
> "Sharx35" > wrote:
>
>> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
>> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

> Some good reasons:
>
> * to get newer safety features, so that you get more safety

I have enough safety, thank you.

> * your needs have changed--maybe you need a van or truck

Nope.

> Some bad reasons:
>
> * "because I want to"
>
> * "because I deserve it"
>
> * "Well, Mr. Sharx, that's only $430/month. Just sign right here."

Those last 3 reasons are put of the big credit problem in North America.
Clue: one can NOT buy happiness.

Old April 19th 09, 09:36 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news

>> "Sharx35" > wrote:
>>
>>> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
>>> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

> There is not a car in the world with that many kilometers/miles in MINT
> condition. Learn to use the definition properly for better credibility.
>
> Reasons it is NOT mint:
> Wear on the brake pedal
> Wear on tires, wiper blades
> Pitting on the windshield
> Seat cover wear
> Weather-stripping wear or compression
> Dust in the engine compartment
> Oil anyplace at all
> Brake pad and rotor wear
> Dirty mats
>
> And hundreds more.

Two words for what YOU a ASS HOLE.

Old April 19th 09, 11:02 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Björn

On 19 Apr, 08:35, "Sharx35" > wrote:
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in ...
>
> > In article <XbwGl.24206$PH1.12979@edtnps82>,
> > "Sharx35" > wrote:

> >> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on
> >> it and is in MINT condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

> > Some good reasons:

> > * to get newer safety features, so that you get more safety

> I have enough safety, thank you.
>

> > * your needs have changed--maybe you need a van or truck

> Nope.
>

> > Some bad reasons:

> > * "because I want to"

> > * "because I deserve it"

> > * "Well, Mr. Sharx, that's only $430/month. *Just sign right here."

> Those last 3 reasons are put of the big credit problem in North America.
> Clue: one can NOT buy happiness.

But you can buy a lot of assholes and friends.
Old April 19th 09, 12:08 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
sharx35

"Björn" > wrote in message
> On 19 Apr, 08:35, "Sharx35" > wrote:
>> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in

>> > Some good reasons:

>> > * to get newer safety features, so that you get more safety

>> I have enough safety, thank you.
>>

>> > * your needs have changed--maybe you need a van or truck

>> Nope.
>>

>> > Some bad reasons:

>> > * "because I want to"

>> > * "because I deserve it"

>> > * "Well, Mr. Sharx, that's only $430/month. Just sign right here."

>> Those last 3 reasons are put of the big credit problem in North America.
>> Clue: one can NOT buy happiness.

> But you can buy a lot of assholes and friends.

Friends you buy are something other than actual friends.

Old April 19th 09, 12:36 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Marlow[_2_]

"Tegger" > wrote in message

> Just don't ask your question of anybody in the "collector" auto circle. To
> them, anything under 50 years-old is "modern", and they will sneer at you
> aggressively for your impertinence.

Antiques and Classics are a whole different story. A 17 year old Honda or
Toyota is not either one of those. It's just a 17 year old car.

--

-Mike-

Old April 19th 09, 12:51 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Marlow[_2_]

"Sharx35" > wrote in message

> Attitudes like THAT one are why so many people are only a payday or so
> away from financial ruin.

If you say so. Funny - I'm not a payday or so away from financial ruin. I
simply see no reason to keep a car for 17 years. There are lots of reasons
why that would make no sense - other than what some may consider bragging
rights that they have a 17 year old car.

> That TEN year old Camry only has 130,000 kilometres on it and is in MINT
> condition. WHY should I get a newer vehicle?

Maybe reading for content would benefit you - note that I did not say 10, I
said 17.

> It has ALL the features I want and rides and handles like a dream. My
> frugality and values have allowed me to retire from full-time work at 42
> (21 years ago) and build up a net worth of close to a million.

Very good for you. That is a commendable thing. It does not change my
position that keeping a car to age 17 still causes me to wonder why. There
is a lot of ground between reckless financial behavior and miserly behavior.
I'm just one person who does not see such great nobility in keeping
something like a car to age 17 just so I can say I have a net worth of close
to a million.

>NEXT question?

You're not as impressive as your question seeks to make you feel.

> And, NO, I do NOT waste my money on things like bottled water, huge screen
> TV's etc etc..

It's easy to begin to believe that any form of spending might be considered
a waste by you. Oh well...

--

-Mike-

Old April 19th 09, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Canuck57[_2_]

"Sharx35" > wrote in message

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "Mike Marlow" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> "Sharx35" > wrote in message
>>> newsLuGl.22792$Db2.11621@edtnps83...

>>> Who would want to driver around in an 17 year old car?
>>>

>> Me, for instance. My car is 18 years old. Bought it new, too.
>>
>> Just don't ask your question of anybody in the "collector" auto circle.
>> them, anything under 50 years-old is "modern", and they will sneer at you
>> aggressively for your impertinence.

> I'd call it something else, like a complete lack of values...no wonder the
> world is in a recession.

That is why recession/depressions occur, too much fat and leach on the hind,
causes the economic animal to get sick. Once enough leaches are off the
hind, the recovery can begin. The more leaches shaken off, the better the
recovery. Far too many in sociaty BS their way with their corrupt values.

Sort of like GMers, it is everyone elses fault but GMs. Delusional sickness
for sure.

Amazing how many in this recession do not have respect for debt.

Old April 19th 09, 12:57 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.makers.honda
Ed Pawlowski

"Sharx35" > wrote in message

> Two words for what YOU a ASS HOLE.

That should be one word asshole, asshole.

But thanks anyway. When my wife asks me later "did anyone call you an
asshole yet today?" I can tell her that yes, they did so you will not be
first today.

Meantime, keep that car washed and waxed and out of the sun. The UV can
dull the finish and it can go from "excellent" to only "good" in a season.
It is years beyond "mint".