Consider buying American!

Old February 12th 08, 01:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.makers.honda, alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes, alt.autos.bmw

Default Consider buying American!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
ever annual loss for a US automaker.

The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
car.

Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
Annual Auto Issue:

Buick Lacrosse
Buick Lucerne
Cadillac CTS
Cadillac CTS-V
Cadillac DTS
Chevrolet HHR
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Tahoe
Chrysler 300
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dodge Durango
Ford Five Hundred
Ford Focus
Ford Freestyle
Ford Fusion
GMC Yukon
Jeep Liberty
Lincoln MKZ
Lincoln Town Car
Mercury Milan
Mercury Montego
Pontiac G6
Pontiac Torrent
Old February 12th 08, 01:41 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff[_3_]

wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>
> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
> car.
>
> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
> Annual Auto Issue:
>
> Buick Lacrosse
> Buick Lucerne
> Cadillac CTS
> Cadillac CTS-V
> Cadillac DTS
> Chevrolet HHR
> Chevrolet Impala
> Chevrolet Malibu
> Chevrolet Tahoe
> Chrysler 300
> Chrysler PT Cruiser
> Dodge Durango
> Ford Five Hundred
> Ford Focus
> Ford Freestyle
> Ford Fusion
> GMC Yukon
> Jeep Liberty
> Lincoln MKZ
> Lincoln Town Car
> Mercury Milan
> Mercury Montego
> Pontiac G6
> Pontiac Torrent

What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?

What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?

Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather than
the other way around?

Jeff
Old February 12th 08, 01:46 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.makers.honda, alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes, alt.autos.bmw

On Feb 12, 8:41�am, Jeff > wrote:
> wrote:
> >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

> > GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
> > ever annual loss for a US automaker.

> > The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
> > they need, they are going to go under. �Consider buying an American
> > car.

> > Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
> > Annual Auto Issue:

> > Buick Lacrosse
> > Buick Lucerne
> > Cadillac CTS
> > Cadillac CTS-V
> > Cadillac DTS
> > Chevrolet HHR
> > Chevrolet Impala
> > Chevrolet Malibu
> > Chevrolet Tahoe
> > Chrysler 300
> > Chrysler PT Cruiser
> > Dodge Durango
> > Ford Five Hundred
> > Ford Focus
> > Ford Freestyle
> > Ford Fusion
> > GMC Yukon
> > Jeep Liberty
> > Lincoln MKZ
> > Lincoln Town Car
> > Mercury Milan
> > Mercury Montego
> > Pontiac G6
> > Pontiac Torrent

> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?

Toyota and Honda assemble cars all over the world, but the profits go
back to Japan.
Old February 12th 08, 01:47 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam

Jeff wrote:
> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>
>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>> car.
>>
>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>
>> Buick Lacrosse
>> Buick Lucerne
>> Cadillac CTS
>> Cadillac CTS-V
>> Cadillac DTS
>> Chevrolet HHR
>> Chevrolet Impala
>> Chevrolet Malibu
>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>> Chrysler 300
>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>> Dodge Durango
>> Ford Five Hundred
>> Ford Focus
>> Ford Freestyle
>> Ford Fusion
>> GMC Yukon
>> Jeep Liberty
>> Lincoln MKZ
>> Lincoln Town Car
>> Mercury Milan
>> Mercury Montego
>> Pontiac G6
>> Pontiac Torrent

> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?
>
> What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?
>
> Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather than
> the other way around?
>
> Jeff

er, leaving quality issues to one side, what percentage of these
"domestic" vehicles are made here? the "big three" all source a
significant proportion of componentry from china. a lot of assembly is
done in mexico. honda and toyota both source and assemble here.
Old February 12th 08, 01:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam

wrote:
> On Feb 12, 8:41�am, Jeff > wrote:
>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they need, they are going to go under. �Consider buying an American
>>> car.
>>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>> Buick Lacrosse
>>> Buick Lucerne
>>> Cadillac CTS
>>> Cadillac CTS-V
>>> Cadillac DTS
>>> Chevrolet HHR
>>> Chevrolet Impala
>>> Chevrolet Malibu
>>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>>> Chrysler 300
>>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>>> Dodge Durango
>>> Ford Five Hundred
>>> Ford Focus
>>> Ford Freestyle
>>> Ford Fusion
>>> GMC Yukon
>>> Jeep Liberty
>>> Lincoln MKZ
>>> Lincoln Town Car
>>> Mercury Milan
>>> Mercury Montego
>>> Pontiac G6
>>> Pontiac Torrent

>> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?

> Toyota and Honda assemble cars all over the world, but the profits go
> back to Japan.

how much tax do the big three pay here vs. the japanese?
Old February 12th 08, 01:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
> wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 8:41�am, Jeff > wrote:
>>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?

>> Toyota and Honda assemble cars all over the world, but the profits go
>> back to Japan.

> how much tax do the big three pay here vs. the japanese?

and how many americans do they employ?
Old February 12th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff[_3_]

wrote:
> On Feb 12, 8:41�am, Jeff > wrote:
>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/
>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they need, they are going to go under. �Consider buying an American
>>> car.
>>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>> Buick Lacrosse
>>> Buick Lucerne
>>> Cadillac CTS
>>> Cadillac CTS-V
>>> Cadillac DTS
>>> Chevrolet HHR
>>> Chevrolet Impala
>>> Chevrolet Malibu
>>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>>> Chrysler 300
>>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>>> Dodge Durango
>>> Ford Five Hundred
>>> Ford Focus
>>> Ford Freestyle
>>> Ford Fusion
>>> GMC Yukon
>>> Jeep Liberty
>>> Lincoln MKZ
>>> Lincoln Town Car
>>> Mercury Milan
>>> Mercury Montego
>>> Pontiac G6
>>> Pontiac Torrent

>> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?

> Toyota and Honda assemble cars all over the world, but the profits go
> back to Japan.

And some of those profits come back to the US. Plus, Toyota and Honda
pay US income taxes and employ US workers.

The Michigan 3 need to make themselves relevant to use, not the other
way around.

Jeff
Old February 12th 08, 02:09 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff[_3_]

jim beam wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

>>> GM just made it known that they lost 39 billion in 2007, the largest
>>> ever annual loss for a US automaker.
>>>
>>> The big three are losing money, and if we don't give them the support
>>> they need, they are going to go under. Consider buying an American
>>> car.
>>>
>>> Here are some American models recommended in the 2007 Consumer Reports
>>> Annual Auto Issue:
>>>
>>> Buick Lacrosse
>>> Buick Lucerne
>>> Cadillac CTS
>>> Cadillac CTS-V
>>> Cadillac DTS
>>> Chevrolet HHR
>>> Chevrolet Impala
>>> Chevrolet Malibu
>>> Chevrolet Tahoe
>>> Chrysler 300
>>> Chrysler PT Cruiser
>>> Dodge Durango
>>> Ford Five Hundred
>>> Ford Focus
>>> Ford Freestyle
>>> Ford Fusion
>>> GMC Yukon
>>> Jeep Liberty
>>> Lincoln MKZ
>>> Lincoln Town Car
>>> Mercury Milan
>>> Mercury Montego
>>> Pontiac G6
>>> Pontiac Torrent

>> What about Toyotas and Hondas made in America?
>>
>> What the Ford Fusion, made in Mexico?
>>
>> Shouldn't the Michigan 3 make their vehicles relevant to me rather
>> than the other way around?
>>
>> Jeff

> er, leaving quality issues to one side, what percentage of these
> "domestic" vehicles are made here?

About 70 to 80% of the parts that go into the Michigan 3 cars come from
the US or Canada.

For Hondas and Toyotas, the numbers of similar, but only for the cars
they make in the US.

> the "big three" all source a
> significant proportion of componentry from china. a lot of assembly is
> done in mexico. honda and toyota both source and assemble here.

Still, a higher proportion of the parts that go into US cars and trucks
made by the Michigan 3 are made in the US or Canada compared to the
foreign car makers. Toyota has plants in Mexico, as well.
Old February 12th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff[_3_]

jim beam wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23124844/

>>> Toyota and Honda assemble cars all over the world, but the profits go
>>> back to Japan.

>> how much tax do the big three pay here vs. the japanese?

> and how many americans do they employ?

The Japanese subsidies of Toyota and Honda pay corporate income tax to
states and the federal gov't as well as local property and other taxes.
How much in taxes they pay is not known. Neither the auto companies nor
the government bodies release the tax information.

You're welcome to search the internet or the even the Toyota and Honda
websites to find out how many people they employ.

Jeff
Old February 12th 08, 02:56 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Tony Harding

Jeff wrote:
> jim beam wrote:

<snip>

>>> how much tax do the big three pay here vs. the japanese?

>> and how many americans do they employ?

> The Japanese subsidies of Toyota and Honda pay corporate income tax to
> states and the federal gov't as well as local property and other taxes.
> How much in taxes they pay is not known. Neither the auto companies nor
> the government bodies release the tax information.
>
> You're welcome to search the internet or the even the Toyota and Honda
> websites to find out how many people they employ.

If you're interested, I'd start with the Investor Relations site for the
various companies.

Consider buying American! tater BMW 217 February 26th 08 03:11 PM
Consider buying American! Jeff[_3_] BMW 79 February 24th 08 08:47 PM
buying a Saturn-like buying a lottery ticket misterfact Saturn 3 July 2nd 04 10:02 PM